Allvin, Nill, Zito finalists for General Manager of the Year Award (winner: Jim Nill)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The GM of the year rarely makes much sense.

You need to basically get to the conference finals to at least to have a shot, even then some of the nominees don´t even need to make moves that were all that impressive.

A rebuilding GM could set up his organization for future glory in one season, make a bunch of great moves and be a complete afterthought for this award.

Do they even spend time to properly assess the work of all GM´s? Probably not.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Zito has been due for a while.

The number of impact players acquires outside of draft is impressive.

Tkachuk
Bennett
Bobrovsky
Reinhart
Verhaeghe
Forsling (waivers lmaoo)
Montour

Reactions: CanuckCity

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
It was a blowout.

gpwcc-0wwaaesg9-jpg.881319

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Did Nill really do anything spectacular this year to make him a back to back winner? He did get his flowers last year.

As a Canucks fan I think it should've been Zito. He's made many great moves to get that team to back to back finals.

I'd have the order the other way:

1. Zito
2. Allvin
3. Nill

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Did Nill really do anything spectacular this year to make him a back to back winner? He did get his flowers last year.

As a Canucks fan I think it should've been Zito. He's made many great moves to get that team to back to back finals.

1. Zito
2. Allvin
3. Nill

That was the Panthers roster for 19/20 and Zito was hired Sept 2020.

Barkov, Ekblad, Bob are the only ones left. Even if you go back to 2023 finals, it's still those 3 guys.

3 Key pieces teams want. #1 C, big minute Dman, #1 G. And he built the rest of the roster.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

1. Zito
2. Allvin
3. Nill

Blame the other 29 GMs, I guess, for making those three the most valuable. :dunno:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
It was a blowout.

gpwcc-0wwaaesg9-jpg.881319

Uhhh, that's not a blowout. Nill is deserving but he didn't even get the majority of first place votes.

George McPhee was a blowout, he had 149 points, 25 of the first place votes.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Holland and Briere voted for themselves. Cheveldayoff deserves more recognition for having to sell the Peg to players. Its

1.Zito
2.Allvin
3.Nill
4.Sweeney
5.Cheveldayoff

for me.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

GM of the year is the only award voted on during the playoffs, with the first two rounds considered. The Stars reached the Western Conference final for a second consecutive season before losing to the Edmonton Oilers in six games.

Well that explains why Zito didn't more votes, I suppose........Dallas definitely had the tougher road through the first two rounds, plus their regular season was pretty solid thanks in no small part to moves made by Nill.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Amazing accomplishment by Allvin to be nominated when he's not even managing a team

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Uhhh, that's not a blowout. Nill is deserving but he didn't even get the majority of first place votes.

George McPhee was a blowout, he had 149 points, 25 of the first place votes.
Sure looks like a blowout to me, holmes. Almost double the points of anyone else.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Sure looks like a blowout to me, holmes. Almost double the points of anyone else.

Sorry, homeskillet, but "almost double" is a pretty bad indicator for a blowout, especially when he got less than double the points of 3 other GMs, in addition to not getting a majority of the votes.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Sorry, homeskillet, but "almost double" is a pretty bad indicator for a blowout, especially when he got less than double the points of 3 other GMs, in addition to not getting a majority of the votes.
You have some odd standards for a blowout. He got a shit ton more than anyone else.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Amazing how all the GMs of no state income tax teams are the leagues best GMs.

What a f***ing joke the NHL is. It’s so bush.

• Haha
Reactions: piqued

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You have some odd standards for a blowout. He got a shit ton more than anyone else.

It's not that odd, just have at least more 1st place votes than everyone else combined (aka 50%+1), or actually double the points of the 2nd place.

Your standards are actually a lot stranger, if all you require is "nearly doubling" the points of other nominees.

Nill got 17/42 of the votes, about 40%, while McPhee on the other hand got 25 out of 39, about 65% of the votes.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
It's not that odd, just have at least more 1st place votes than everyone else combined (aka 50%+1), or actually double the points of the 2nd place.

Your standards are actually a lot stranger, if all you require is "nearly doubling" the points of other nominees.

Nill got 17/42 of the votes, about 40%, while McPhee on the other hand got 25 out of 39, about 65% of the votes.

You're picking really specific things to you. I look at it and say, "damn, that wasn't close." which is what a blowout is. I don't think one can reasonably argue that it was a close vote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad