Proposal: Allen for Mrazek+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I wouldn't touch Mrazek with a 10 foot pole. He's on the 1st year of a 3 year contract paying him 3.8 million.

I would simplify it and just try to trade Allen (to any playoff team that needs a goalie) for a 2nd, I don't think anybody would pay a 1st for him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I would say yes to the idea of this trade. Montreal can keep Mrazek for a year, see if they can rehabilitate him, and if not they just buy him out summer of 2023 at an 850k/1.5m hit.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not a good match.

First it's the Hab.
Mrazek is not a player you will have a sane value discussion about on HF. His contract liability will always be exaggerated.

Tha Habs are not prone to stacking themselves with bad contracts, they pretty much need the switch to win mode option at all times.

A more likely scenario is he gets buried in a bigger deal, like Gio. Seattle/Arizon can gamble on Mrazek returning to form while not being concerned about his cap hit.

I predict Mrazeks cost will be covered by prospects and mid picks in a package thar includes a d...like Giordano.

A 1rst is absurd for a Cap hit that small imo. This isn't Marleau at 7+mil.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
No, not a first-round pick. That would be overpayment.

Mzarek may be $3.8 million of dead cap for 3 years. How much will that cost to move?

The Habs paid a 3rd and 5th for Allen who has returned to form since the trade. Habs could likely get a similar return (maybe more for a desperate team). Who knows if Price will be back so Habs need a 1B goalie like Allen and have zero reason to trade him. Even with Price, having a 1B goalie seemed to work well.

No one is gonna take the Mzarek contract on right now unless. I don’t think a 1st is an overpayment at all.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Oh sure, the Leafs trade a shitty goalie and a 1st for a shitty goalie….makes perfect sense.
Allen's a better goalie than Mrazek with a better contract on a much worse team

Not saying hes the answer, but definitely an upgrade to Mrazek and his 884 SV%

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Oh sure, the Leafs trade a shitty goalie and a 1st for a shitty goalie….makes perfect sense.

1. Allen is a good tandem goalie, if he plays 40 games or less he is great. Mrazek is actually bad.

2. They solve their goalie problems because they get out of the bad contract element. Mrazek has term Allen is done next year.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If the Habs are taking Mrazek then I want 2 x 2nd round picks or an unprotected 1st for the dump.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Allen is garbage too, this is a lateral move, actually it's worse since we're adding. No interest in Allen, he's not the answer.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Allen is garbage too, this is a lateral move, actually it's worse since we're adding. No interest in Allen, he's not the answer.

Exactly. Leafs are not giving up assets for something like this. Why not keep the assets and use them on a real upgrade when it becomes available. Otherwise, just keep them.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Allen isn't better than Mrazek. Just because Mrazek has had a bad 17 games this year doesn't mean he's garbage all of a sudden.
Disagree. Allen is .903 sv% on a depleted team lacking key defensemen all season. Mrazek is 0.884 on a top team. Mrazek is horrible. Leafs will likely buy him out.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Allen's a better goalie than Mrazek with a better contract on a much worse team

Not saying hes the answer, but definitely an upgrade to Mrazek and his 884 SV%
Even if Allen is a marginal upgrade, it isn’t worth making an overpayment.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
If Mrazek was only signed for next year then sure. Seeing as he is signed for two more years then no thanks.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Allen is a pretty good goalie if he plays under 40 games a season. He’s been solid since he joined the Habs. Anyone comparing him to Mrazek has not watched him play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad