GDT: All things training camp

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think I already emphasized what the coach made transparent to the media. He was looking for a RH draw who could take pressure off Lowry on PK draws, which are most often chosen against his weak side. This was a role that Kevin Stenlund filled successfully when called upon, and the PK was better as a result. PK isn't a sexy role, but the fact of it is that unsuccessful means a goal against. That's a significant role, on a team full of roles, as underlined by the coach. Seems like he has fared well enough, because he is getting the reps.

Kupari didn't have an awful TC, by my count he had 2 assists, one off Pionk's goal against a weak Oilers team, and one off a draw that Miller buried. His line was arguably the best and most consistent line against Calgary. Did he deserve to get demoted after that game? Probably not. Were there things that Arniel saw in practice that we didn't?

JAD has a strong camp, but none of the forwards had a particularly weak one. Even Gus had some positives. So if Anderson-Dolan won the 14th forward role, well that's a consolation prize, because there are 13 in the coach's preference, and room to maneuver an offensize player into the mix, if needed. So maybe he's only 15, then, on the depth chart. If the Jets never play AJF again, and bring in so more grit in JAD, when needed, count me as supportive.

The Moose exist to develop players, but there are vets too, whose role is depth, and to fill a roster, with needs.

I did not like what I saw of Kupari in TC, 2 assists notwithstanding. Not that he stood out as horrible. Just a whole lot more of last season's nothingness. But I can see the role point you are making. Seems a bit like micro-coaching to me, but what do I know. You didn't answer my question. How is Kupari on the PK other than the FO role? Legit question.

Don't know what you mean by even Gus had some positives. Of course he did.

Sure, Moose have some vets to fill the roster and provide depth - but if they EVER even think the thought of sending someone down to strengthen the Moose they have totally lost it.

Edit: Maybe some AHL time is what Kupari needs to rediscover his offense. Would he clear if waived? At this time of year, I think he would.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
If they are serious about it to accrue cap space throughout the year then yes they will.
I don’t know - jets management seems to not be too panicky when making a decision. Not sure the impact of salary accrual - but keeping a 23 man roster might make for a better 22 man roster if they use a few games to lock in on the “final” 22 barring injury returns of course.

Reactions: Buffdog

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
Lambert Chibrikov and Salo will all be sent down and sold as "paper transctions" as the don't require waivers. One of the two goalies is getting sent down too and I doubt theirs any claim as rosters are set at this point.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Lambert Chibrikov and Salo will all be sent down and sold as "paper transctions" as the don't require waivers. One of the two goalies is getting sent down too and I doubt theirs any claim as rosters are set at this point.
On October 11, “Please welcome your 2023/24 Winnipeg Jets (without Schmidt)!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad