GDT: All things training camp

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Maybe the light switch can be turn on by Pionk, I have my doubts. There was no way the Jets could have Schmidt back at his salary but they should of tried harder to keep Dilly, I get it they thought one of Heinola or Stanley would side in but atm we have neither. Msybe someone tries to get a tweener D thru waivers.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Maybe the light switch can be turn on by Pionk, I have my doubts. There was no way the Jets could have Schmidt back at his salary but they should of tried harder to keep Dilly, I get it they thought one of Heinola or Stanley would side in but atm we have neither. Msybe someone tries to get a tweener D thru waivers.
I think it's hard to look at Neil Pionk in a vacuum. There is a dichotomy between fans who loathe him, and that was before his awful game 5 last year, and coaches/management who say they have time for him. As a fan I try not to position myself as smarter than the people in charge, who have all the statistics, and knowledge of a player, beyond what you see on the ice.

But it is interesting that Samberg was a -7 in the playoffs last year and he went largely without criticism. His rise to a top 4 role was not without competition, as Stanley and him went back and forth for some time, before the separation started. And that was maybe because Samberg was the kind of player who could complement Schmidt's game and vice versa. He hasn't had a good TC to start. But it's preseason in 3rd gear for the most part.

The addition of Miller is a different dynamic than Schmidt, one that adds offense, potentially. The defensive side could be a wash, though there is more physicality in Miller's game.

Dillon was a good leader, but he looked like he was playing with less intensity in his non contract years. So let's see what all the new faces do with their opportunity.

Reactions: Buffdog

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Couple of interesting names

Full list of waiver activity:

Boston Bruins: Patrick Brown, Brando Bussi, Jiri Patera, Billy Sweezey, Jeffrey Viel
Buffalo Sabres: Kale Clague, James Reimer, Lukas Rousek
Calgary Flames: Devin Cooley, Jakob Pelletier, Cole Schwindt
Carolina Hurricanes: Josiah Slavin, Ty Smith, Ryan Suzuki
Chicago Blackhawks: Isaak Phillips
Detroit Red Wings: Justin Holl, Sheldon Dries, William Lagesson, Brogan Refferty, Joe Snively
Edmonton Oilers: Josh Brown, Drake Caggiula, Raphael Lavoie, Olivier Rodrigue
Los Angeles Kings: Pheonix Copley, Jack Studnicka, Samuel Fagemo
Nashville Predators: Marc Del Gaizo
New Jersey Devils: Shane Bowers, Nick DeSimone, Nolan Foote, Colton White
New York Islanders: Pierre Engvall, Hudson Fasching, Liam Foudy, Fredrik Karlstrom, Samuel Bolduc, Grant Hutton, Magnus Hogberg, Jakub Skarek
New York Rangers: Matthew Robertson
Ottawa Senators: Jan Jenik, Adam Gaudette
Pittsburgh Penguins: Sebastian Aho, Bokondji Imama
St. Louis Blues: Corey Schueneman, Tyler Tucker
Tampa Bay Lightning: Gage Goncalves, Steven Santini, Jesse Ylonen
Toronto Maple Leafs: Matt Murray, Marshall Rifai
Utah Hockey Club: Matt Villalta
Vancouver Canucks: Erik Brannstrom
Vegas Golden Knights: Zach Aston-Reese, Tanner Laczynski, Jonas Rondbjerg
Washington Capitals: Hunter Shepard
Winnipeg Jets: Jaret Anderson-Dolan

• Wow
Reactions: macmaroon

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't agree with this logic at all.
A person can only succeed with the opportunities available. There have been plenty of career AHLers that would have made fine NHLers if given a chance.
Martin St Louis didn't leave the AHL behind til he was 25. He wasn't a late bloomer. It just took that many years for a real opportunity.

I'm not making a case that Capo would have been a star. Only that he can't be judged on the opportunities he didn't get.
He's played games in 6 different seasons.
Nobody thought he was an every day NHLer over that period and not just the Jets organization.
The AHL is where he belongs.

Reactions: Buffdog

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com

Boston Bruins: Patrick Brown, Brando Bussi, Jiri Patera, Billy Sweezey, Jeffrey Viel
Detroit Red Wings: Justin Holl, Sheldon Dries, William Lagesson, Brogan Refferty, Joe Snively
New York Islanders: Pierre Engvall, Hudson Fasching, Liam Foudy, Fredrik Karlstrom, Samuel Bolduc, Grant Hutton, Magnus Hogberg, Jakub Skarek
Thanks for posting this @bustamente! I saw Aho, but it's the Swedish defenceman...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the PK is where Kupari has shown he belongs...Strategically that right hand draw that protects Lowry in the faceoff department is something the Jets are looking at. Scheif is not going to be PK1 at this stage of his career. Point totals from last year shouldn't be hard to eclipse.

Not surprised JAD is waived. I look at the Moose forward lineup being on the softer side, a few smaller player with motors, but I think the plan originally was to replace Malott with JAD. Which is an upgrade depth wise. If he clears, I think he'll be back in town, he's ahead of AJF and Toninato, who were the depth guys last year. Waiving him also leaves room for a younger player to get the call.

It doesn't matter what strengths or weaknesses the Moose have. It wouldn't matter if they never won a game except that would mean they wouldn't have any good callups for the Jets. The Moose exist only to help the Jets.

You might have a point about Kupari on the PK. He is not bad at FO. But how is his PK otherwise? I think Gus is a significantly better 4C at 5v5 and JAD would be a very good 13F.

I think JAD's TC earned him a roster spot. I hope he clears.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg

Brannstrom on waivers. I'd take a stab at him over Fleury on the bottom pair until Heinola is back

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Brannstrom on waivers. I'd take a stab at him over Fleury on the bottom pair until Heinola is back
Avs fans on the main board (in the trade thread) said he was terrible

Sakic signed him in the summer and he was so bad, he traded him for LTIR space after camp

In other words, pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad