GDT: All things training camp

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There is zero chance Lundmark gets claimed barring a team suffering multiple injuries on defense tonight, and even then he's probably the 3rd most attractive defenseman on waivers today. Picking up a longshot to play this season that has to be kept on the roster is a bad look to the players a team is already committed to. Lundmark was at best the 3rd best defenseman on the Moose last year, I'd argue 4th, a solidly quiet training camp doesn't elevate him to being claim worthy.
There's no Heinola or Capobianco on the Moose this season. The best LD is Kuzmin, in fact he's the only one and then guys signed to AHL contracts. I think your premise is right. But I do think he contributes to the Jets team this year, if he gets through.

Reactions: Shlep

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
How transferrable are defensive metrics from team to team, system to system?

Vilardi for instance had great defensive metrics with LA but the info I saw had him below average on the Jets

I didn't really see top defensive forward (top relative to what /whom) from Iafallo last year tbh.
Iafallo was really highly ranked in LA and 97th percentile defense in Athletic playing cards. His offense is very mediocre.

But he seemed to do well at helping lines he was on drive more play. Did well with Scheif and Connor, Perfetti and Vlad

Ideally a guy like him is making not much cap on a contender.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think it's more like they don't want to pay to get rid of the Appleton like contracts. Also the goal is playoffs and this is mostly the team that got them there so why change it.

Personally I think the team has a real chance at missing this year so maybe they bring some in and move some UFAs out. I doubt they plan to keep everyone who's a UFA in the summer.
Why would they want to get rid of Appleton? He put up 36 points playing against other teams best players. How much exactly is that worth? He makes 2.17M

Who should be in his spot? Chibs? A player with zero NHL experience and lesser success than Appleton in their 1st AHL seasons (apples was a year older)

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
There's no Heinola or Capobianco on the Moose this season. The best LD is Kuzmin, in fact he's the only one and then guys signed to AHL contracts. I think your premise is right. But I do think he contributes to the Jets team this year, if he gets through.
Oh yeah I was just talking about his track record. He looked serviceable this camp, that's good, at this point of his career he just hasn't shown enough to make a GM think "yeah, he looks good enough to keep on my main roster while pushing down players I've already invested in".

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Jets organization needs to change the bulb on the Easy Bake Oven....
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad