GDT: All things training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How transferrable are defensive metrics from team to team, system to system?

Vilardi for instance had great defensive metrics with LA but the info I saw had him below average on the Jets

I didn't really see top defensive forward (top relative to what /whom) from Iafallo last year tbh.

His defensive metrics here and in LA suggest he is a top defensive forward. He seemed to help most lines he was on.

I see the value in having him replaced for his salary but that would likely require moving out picks with him, as you said.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

At this time of year the waived players probably all clear. I am a little torn with waiving Lundmark though. He just might get claimed. OTOH, maybe getting him through waivers now creates some flexibility to bring him back later. For that matter, maybe they keep him up until Ville/Stan return. They could then send him down without having to go through waivers again, if the timing works.

Don't know why AJF and Toninato are waived before Kupari.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
About as chalk as the forward lines could be. Zero changes. Zero surprises.

Scheifele line...
Lowry shutdown line...
Untrusted "scoring" line...
4th line for leftovers...
Sure generates excitement for the fanbase, doesn't it? I know it isn't the coach or GMs job to sell tickets, but if I am a fan on the fence for attending games (not describing myself...I will go regardless), a chance to see some young prospects might move the needle. I can't imagine a less inspiring sales pitch than "same team that wilted in the playoffs, but maybe slightly worse!".

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
We just came off a season with 110 points. I don't think they need to do much to the lineup. If it doesn't go right its far easier to bring in your younger guys then.

The reason they have trouble selling tickets is a much more far reaching problem for society in general then they need an "exciting" team for people to come out too and watch.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
How transferrable are defensive metrics from team to team, system to system?

Vilardi for instance had great defensive metrics with LA but the info I saw had him below average on the Jets

I didn't really see top defensive forward (top relative to what /whom) from Iafallo last year tbh.
Vilardi racked up some bad metrics when he was on the same line as Scheifele and Connor last season at 5v5.

In 197 minutes together, Vilardi was 70.67 CA/60, 3.94 GA/60, 3.60 xGA/60.
In 154 minutes without, Vilardi was 57.12 CA/60, 1.17 GA/60, 2.01 xGA/60.

There's just no one on CSV who can push play the other way enough to overcome their shortcomings.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Vilardi racked up some bad metrics when he was on the same line as Scheifele and Connor last season at 5v5.

In 197 minutes together, Vilardi was 70.67 CA/60, 3.94 GA/60, 3.60 xGA/60.
In 154 minutes without, Vilardi was 57.12 CA/60, 1.17 GA/60, 2.01 xGA/60.

There's just no one on CSV who can push play the other way enough to overcome their shortcomings.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Ehlers with KC/Scheif get it to positive numbers?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We just came off a season with 110 points. I don't think they need to do much to the lineup. If it doesn't go right its far easier to bring in your younger guys then.

The reason they have trouble selling tickets is a much more far reaching problem for society in general then they need an "exciting" team for people to come out too and watch.
Last season the Jets were at their best and moved way up the standings without that top line, and they struggled when they put Connor and Scheifele back together.

I'm okay seeing how they start with that top line but I can't help thinking they are leaving some value on the table by not augmenting Lowry's line with more scoring on RW. We got a glimpse of Nino's scoring last night with Ehlers and then Vilardi setting him up for goals. If Scheifele's line struggles defensively in the first 15-20 games, Arniel needs to have the fortitude to break them up.

At least the PP looks like it will score more this season. Without Dillon in think they'll need more offense to offset a likely dip in defensive performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad