GDT: All things training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
I haven't been following training camp this year and noticed that Barlow and Yager were sent back to the minors.

I heard Barlow is not even close to NHL ready but what about Yager? Does his being sent down with no regular season games prove McGroarty right on how the Jets treat their prospects? Was Yager really not good enough for a longer look?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven't been following training camp this year and noticed that Barlow and Yager were sent back to the minors.

I heard Barlow is not even close to NHL ready but what about Yager? Does his being sent down with no regular season games prove McGroarty right on how the Jets treat their prospects? Was Yager really not good enough for a longer look?

There wasn't room and he needs some more seasoning. Why rush him.

McGroarty isn't even going to make the the much thinner Penguins forward core so maybe hes not that ready either.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Yager looked great in the Young Stars tournament and in camp. He demonstrated great positional awareness and seems like he will grow into a top 6 center for us. But he is still very young and still needs some time to develop. Being a dominant force in junior and playing a big role for Canada at the World Juniors would be best for him at this time. Also to give him some regular season games would risk losing a depth player to waivers. Barlow is much further away IMO. At this point he isn't even close, and probably doesn't even get a real look with Canada at the World Juniors.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yager looked great in the Young Stars tournament and in camp. He demonstrated great positional awareness and seems like he will grow into a top 6 center for us. But he is still very young and still needs some time to develop. Being a dominant force in junior and playing a big role for Canada at the World Juniors would be best for him at this time. Also to give him some regular season games would risk losing a depth player to waivers. Barlow is much further away IMO. At this point he isn't even close, and probably doesn't even get a real look with Canada at the World Juniors.

Didn't Barlow make a better impression at last year's TC? Has he regressed? Or is it just that expectations were higher this time?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm just curious if you think Heinola is better than Chisholm...Because that was always the battle. If Heinola hadn't got injured in preseason Chisholm was getting waived last year no matter what. Would you have let Stanley go to keep him and have a have a left side of the d of Josh, Samberg, Heinola and Chisholm this year? Seems a little light on the toughness side...Who'd be the PKers? Chisholm put up a -8 in 29 games last year, not sure he elevated his teammates either.

Kovacevic I think could have lasted here. But they chose a more offensive better skating guy in Capobianco. Which may have been a reaction to looking for somebody who could skate to protect Stan. Samberg-Kovacevic might have been a decent pairing though, we'll never know. Samberg and Schmidtty were probably better, minus the playoffs.

For me Coughlan was acquired to replace Capobianco. With Heinola graduating and Capo moving on, I am not sure the Jets expected the improvement from Kuzmin that we saw in preseason...he was struggling to stay on the Moose roster last year, and so I think there was a void for an AHL PP QB this year.

After losing Dillon and Schmidt the Jets probably wanted a veteran replacement. But being Winnipeg it's bargain shopping. At least Fleury has played for our d coach before so there should be some trust there.

I'd say Simon Lundmark is in the same situation as Chisholm last year, 3 year development, but on the defensive end, PK more than a PP QB. Given your praise of Miller's PP skills, and disdain of Pionk, do you think the Jets need more offensive depth, or defensive at this point from their d-men?
Agreed. Waivers are a fact of NHL life, so not sure why people harp on them so much. You can only carry a 23 man roster, so anyone outside of that not on an ELC is always a risk to waivers. IMO it is a great rule that keeps depth players from being buried and allows them an opportunity to catch on somewhere. Also being risk adverse to waivers means rarely giving your young prospects on ELCs a chance since they are the ones you can bury without risk of losing them.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Didn't Barlow make a better impression at last year's TC? Has he regressed? Or is it just that expectations were higher this time?
He was sick for most, if not all, of it. Didn’t get into a preseason game and was sent back to Jr where he battled a back injury.

Seems to have set him back a bit development wise. He should try to model his game to be a better Lawson Crouse (middle 6 grinder) type, than a Mike Hoffman (one dimensional shooter) type.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

He was sick for most, if not all, of it. Didn’t get into a preseason game and was sent back to Jr where he battled a back injury.

Seems to have set him back a bit development wise. He should try to model his game to be a better Lawson Crouse (middle 6 grinder) type, than a Mike Hoffman (one dimensional shooter) type.
Yeah, the kid seems to have stalled with his development. Skating is an issue and something he will need to work on.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Barlow is a smart and mature person. I think this TC is a completely positive experience where he now understands just how important the details of the game are. I think he has a great attitude and I strongly suspect he is going to take the feedback given and work on those areas relentlessly.

And to be clear blowing a tire in TC isn't always meant to be a lesson in humility. In his case I believe the learning is more of a reference point to work from.

He is not a prospect I worry about at all.

Reactions: Buffdog

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
Do we have a clear picture on the new faces who could be playing the season opener?

I believe due to injuries we're going to have some rookies playing D. Sadly, no one will get Pionk moved to the 3rd line yet.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Do we have a clear picture on the new faces who could be playing the season opener?

I believe due to injuries we're going to have some rookies playing D. Sadly, no one will get Pionk moved to the 3rd line yet.

I'm not sure we'll see rookies. Likely Miller and Fleury are the bottom pairing in the opener.

Reactions: Buffdog

Malcsta

Mar 15, 2024
Would be fine with Salo on opening day on the third pair. He's improving with every game at a steady rate, I think he deserves a shot forsure. Excited to see him play wednesday hopefully

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad