GDT: All things training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You mean alienating the one player with chipman on speed dial

You think there is only 1? :laugh: Could as easily be Chevy on speed dial.

But that is not what I am thinking about. The coach could very quickly lose the room if the leadership turns against him, without naming names.

That happens and the coach is fired almost immediately. This is the last chance for Arniel if he doesn't succeed.

This is still the same core group that lead Maurice to just quit mid-season. And we all know now that Maurice was capable of coaching a team to the Cup. Just not this team. When was the last time a coach just quit because he couldn't get his team to succeed?

Ah, the hockey equivalent of cats in Springfield.

Nope. Not the same at all.

Reactions: Buffdog and Bigfish

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So basically a re-run of last year is what the analytics summit came up with 🤔.

Yup. To be fair though the second and third lines had elite analytics.

But in a more serious note, I think analytics will be used more for style of play then combos. It's clear we don't have coaches that can convince Mark and KC to play separately over the long term.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yup. To be fair though the second and third lines had elite analytics.

But in a more serious note, I think analytics will be used more for style of play then combos. It's clear we don't have coaches that can convince Mark and KC to play separately over the long term.

It must be nice to be already signed long term and be a player/coach :laugh:.

"Hey, you guys suck together. You get outscored. Stop sucking and you can play together. Do you want to win?"

"Nah, I like Kyle."

Here's hoping you're right, they have 82 games to get their shit together.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It must be nice to be already signed long term and be a player/coach :laugh:.

"Hey, you guys suck together. You get outscored. Stop sucking and you can play together. Do you want to win?"

"Nah, I like Kyle."

Here's hoping you're right, they have 82 games to get their shit together.

I am curious on just how much top players get to influence who plays with them. Gotta wonder just what a coach is able to do when a player knows they are important then the coach.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Good thing we know that the lines using at training camp are locked in for the whole season. Perfetti player 82 games at 2C last year right?!?…..

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Boo, no Lambert with Ehlers. That would have been fun to watch.
I was hoping they would slide him into a top 6 role - see how Lambert plays with top 6 players.
That may still happen but I don't really understand how they can get a sense of how these guys will fit unless they plug them into those roles.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was hoping they would slide him into a top 6 role - see how Lambert plays with top 6 players.
That may still happen but I don't really understand how they can get a sense of how these guys will fit unless they plug them into those roles.

I think like every year they already know what they plan on going into the season with. I guess it depends how much you think a couple exhibition games with vets half assing it against other vets half assing it shows in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think like every year they already know what they plan on going into the season with. I guess it depends how much you think a couple exhibition games with vets half assing it against other vets half assing it shows in the grand scheme of things.
Same old , same old -
I just listened to Chevy's presser and he mentions how the young guys need to earn the opportunities - top 6 opp's were even mentioned.
Throwing them out there with a collection of guys that are not on the radar this year doesn't get that done IMO.
If they are seriously considering him in a role in the top 6, play him with top 6 players.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yeah I don't see Lambert on the Jets now regardless of how well he plays. They'd need to waive a F to have him in the PB. If they don't try him with NHL players in preseason I can't see them pivoting to it late in camp at the cost of a Gus or Kupari or w/e if he plays well with AHL/CHLers.

Maybe the lines will be different tomorrow, the first couple preseason games will tell us more. Maybe Arniel is trolling us all :laugh:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Breathe guys. It's Day 1 of camp.

Lambert is going to get every opportunity imaginable during this camp and the preseason games to win the 2C job.
Agreed.

I wonder as an option if Lambert continues to look good is putting Names on the wing with Nino and Lowry. We know that line gets minutes closer to a "2nd line", and harder ones at that. Names might possibly offer a little more offensive punch than Appleton as well (although numbers look close).

Then maybe you could have an Ehlers - Lambert - Perfetti third line (or second scoring line, however you want to call it).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad