All Purpose "We have problems with our Special Teams" Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Having your top 2 PK D-men completely inexperienced in the area does a lot. I think they should let Phaneuf take most of Hunwicks minutes and increase his minutes 5-on-5 in return.

If you're not going to place them on the PK in what is supposed to be a transitioning year for the organization, you are wasting a great teaching opportunity. Indeed, Rielly has not been a success on the PK but if we want him to become that well-rounded upper tier defenseman, we need him to be able to play all minutes. Having Babcock continually put Rielly on the PK could also mean that Morgan has specifically asked for this responsibility and that Babcock is comfortable with putting him in the situation. The season's still young and if you have a guy able to make long-range passes like Rielly can on the PK, it opens up new defending and attacking options as opposed to a safer, chip-off the glass kind of guy like Polak is.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd say it's a mix of: bad luck, below average goaltending , and general lack of talent on the team (especially in terms of offense).

I suspect the special teams will get better as Eason goes in, especially if Bernier/Reimer start playing closer to their career average sv% and Guys like Kadri start shooting closer to their average sh%.

It should get better, but if it doesn't, we can just sell our guys and move on. Maybe the stats won't be there, but the play is there.

Plus we get a better shot at Matthews.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If you're not going to place them on the PK in what is supposed to be a transitioning year for the organization, you are wasting a great teaching opportunity. Indeed, Rielly has not been a success on the PK but if we want him to become that well-rounded upper tier defenseman, we need him to be able to play all minutes. Having Babcock continually put Rielly on the PK could also mean that Morgan has specifically asked for this responsibility and that Babcock is comfortable with putting him in the situation. The season's still young and if you have a guy able to make long-range passes like Rielly can on the PK, it opens up new defending and attacking options as opposed to a safer, chip-off the glass kind of guy like Polak is.

Well I mentioned Hunwick and not Rielly for a reason. Hunwick is not the guy you develop to become a better player further down the line.

As for Polak, he's actually been a very, very effective guy on the PK for many years.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
Having your top 2 PK D-men completely inexperienced in the area does a lot. I think they should let Phaneuf take most of Hunwicks minutes and increase his minutes 5-on-5 in return.

Hard to do when Phaneuf is in the box most of the time. Anyone know the number on how many times we were scored on while Phaneuf took a penalty?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
So it's on coaching, or just not picking it up. I don't blame Bernier or Reimer. Over half the goals against have been PK unit mistakes (mainly in front of the net), so what can you do. It extends to ES too. I'm just waiting until January before I say we start to do anything drastic.

Personally, I think Hunwick is a huge reason. He's having to cover the front of the net, and he simply can't. Rielly, as a result of being his partner, is looking bad too, but he's been doing fine. Babcock has far too much faith in Hunwick right now, and he should be taken off the PK.

Marincin was taken off too, which is good because he was totally clueless. It should be Phaneuf, Gardiner, Rielly and Polak.

I think your opinion is skewed, you have had an anti-Hunwick, anti-Harrington view since pre-season. "Rielly, as a result of being his partner, is looking bad too, but he's been doing fine." Come on.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be pinning the fault on the D here. Most of the problems have been the other team being allowed to shoot from the high slot. Their defence have been allowed to walk in or wingers left to shoot uncontested from here. Another was a breakaway from a player returning from the box following his penalty. The "front of the net" mistakes I only see as 2 goals being attributed to traffic in front, plus one redirection. Maybe we're collapsing too quickly, only 1 goal was from a man in the middle of the box.

The PK can only limit so much, if a man wants to plant himself on the crease & hold his ground, in the new rules NHL you can't do much about it. I don't care if you have Polak, Hunwick or Chara, if the forward wants to stay there, you can't legally move him. So you try to limit things, make them shoot from weaker positions, outside the box. Then you want your goalie to make the stop & control the rebound (Price is a star at this). Our goalies have not been doing this, the only legit excuse I'll give them is that I think our box has collapsed too early, or we are not being aggressive enough on the shooter.

There have been other mistakes, but in reality there hasn't been enough PK & goals to make a real judgement on who or what is at fault. Various individuals with various errors have been made. Of the 9 PK goals I could probably give you as a reason for the goal, 7 different errors from 8 or 9 different individuals.

You know, maybe our biggest downfall with the PK so far is just bad luck.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think your opinion is skewed, you have had an anti-Hunwick, anti-Harrington view since pre-season. "Rielly, as a result of being his partner, is looking bad too, but he's been doing fine." Come on.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be pinning the fault on the D here. Most of the problems have been the other team being allowed to shoot from the high slot. Their defence have been allowed to walk in or wingers left to shoot uncontested from here. Another was a breakaway from a player returning from the box following his penalty. The "front of the net" mistakes I only see as 2 goals being attributed to traffic in front, plus one redirection. Maybe we're collapsing too quickly, only 1 goal was from a man in the middle of the box.

The PK can only limit so much, if a man wants to plant himself on the crease & hold his ground, in the new rules NHL you can't do much about it. I don't care if you have Polak, Hunwick or Chara, if the forward wants to stay there, you can't legally move him. So you try to limit things, make them shoot from weaker positions, outside the box. Then you want your goalie to make the stop & control the rebound (Price is a star at this). Our goalies have not been doing this, the only legit excuse I'll give them is that I think our box has collapsed too early, or we are not being aggressive enough on the shooter.

There have been other mistakes, but in reality there hasn't been enough PK & goals to make a real judgement on who or what is at fault. Various individuals with various errors have been made. Of the 9 PK goals I could probably give you as a reason for the goal, 7 different errors from 8 or 9 different individuals.

You know, maybe our biggest downfall with the PK so far is just bad luck.

Bad luck has killed the most of all... I mean bad luck on PK, bad luck on some of the goals given up by the goalies, bad luck in general.

And I've been against Harrington because he's not ready and should be in the AHL right now. He's not special, and it would be far more useful for him to hone his skills with future team mates and more ice time.

I'm okay with Hunwick playing bottom pairing or with Rielly, but not with Phaneuf on the top pairing or for nearly as much time as he's been getting, especially not on the PK.

I just hope Babcock makes some meaningful changes, because there have been some that have been absolutely mind boggling. Well that and I hope we get out of some of the bad luck we've had.

OvenMittz*

The 4 forward PP system should work, but I wouldn't have Phaneuf as the D on the 1PP, I'd have Rielly.

This is what I'd try for the 1PP:

JVR-Kadri-Komarov/Boyes

Rielly-Winnik

Just out of curiosity, where you on the Toronto maple leafs forums on the Torontomapleleafs official website?

If yes, what happened to that forum.. it just all of a sudden closed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad