All purpose trade/roster building thread part 12

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think that it's very possible that the Canes believe that Skjei's issue was system-oriented. He has all of the tools to be a great defenseman, especially with his skating. Rangers are a terrible puck-possession club in general, and it very well could've affected Trouba's analytics in his 1st year there, as well. Their best Corsi player this season, Adam Fox, only had a 51% even-strength Corsi. Joel Edmundson, our worst Corsi guy, has a 50.5% Corsi at even-strength, just to give you an idea about how bad the Rangers are in that department. Rangers, in general, are saved by Panarin and Zibanejad's super-elite shooting percentages and elite goaltending.
Trouba’s bad value comes from the Rangers signing him to a top offensive defender based one season. He is 25-30 point defender not a 50 point guy.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Trouba’s bad value comes from the Rangers signing him to a top offensive defender based one season. He is 25-30 point defender not a 50 point guy.

Well, it wasn't just that. Even at Trouba's worst in Winnipeg, he was always a solid top-pairing guy with pretty good analytics. His statistics tanked in his first year in New York, and considering that age probably wasn't a factor (it was his age-25 season!), it almost certainly had something to do with the team and scheme around him. It's probably this drop that had the Canes thinking that Skjei was undervalued. A (likely) late 1st rounder is a pretty damn low asset price for a 25-year old top-4 caliber guy, and it could well pay off if the FO turns out to be correct on their scouting. It's VERY risky, though, I definitely agree with that. Maybe their riskiest move of their brief time in charge. I love Jake Gardiner when he's at his best, though, so I want to see what a Slavin/Skjei/Gardiner left side can do next month if his back is fully healed.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think that it's very possible that the Canes believe that Skjei's issue was system-oriented. He has all of the tools to be a great defenseman, especially with his skating. Rangers are a terrible puck-possession club in general, and it very well could've affected Trouba's analytics in his 1st year there, as well. Their best Corsi player this season, Adam Fox, only had a 51% even-strength Corsi. Joel Edmundson, our worst Corsi guy, has a 50.5% Corsi at even-strength, just to give you an idea about how bad the Rangers are in that department. Rangers, in general, are saved by Panarin and Zibanejad's super-elite shooting percentages and elite goaltending.
I don’t think Skjei defensively will be a strong possession guy individually, in his own end it definitely hasn’t been a strong suit yet. Serious case of the bobbles.

The irony will be if he turns out to be an older version of Hanifin.

Number one argument against that to me is that Hanifin is actually pretty strong on the puck once he gets it. He just doesn’t know where to be in the first place to acquire it.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I don’t think Skjei defensively will be a strong possession guy individually, in his own end it definitely hasn’t been a strong suit yet. Serious case of the bobbles.

The irony will be if he turns out to be an older version of Hanifin.

Number one argument against that to me is that Hanifin is actually pretty strong on the puck once he gets it. He just doesn’t know where to be in the first place to acquire it.
Could Skjei be essentially what we previously always hoped Murphy could be when we drafted him? Good skater with mobility and offensive instincts, but he's gonna brain fart the defensive end a LOT. You just need the offensive impact to outweigh the defensive impact. That's why he and Pesce could be an intriguing pair going forward, because Pesce has played both sides effectively and is good at shutting guys down, so he might be able to do that while Skjei is out there floating around?

Reactions: bleedgreen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Could Skjei be essentially what we previously always hoped Murphy could be when we drafted him? Good skater with mobility and offensive instincts, but he's gonna brain fart the defensive end a LOT. You just need the offensive impact to outweigh the defensive impact. That's why he and Pesce could be an intriguing pair going forward, because Pesce has played both sides effectively and is good at shutting guys down, so he might be able to do that while Skjei is out there floating around?
Our best hope with Skjei is that pairing him with Pesce is synergistic in the same way pairing Dougie turned out to be with Slavin. I'm not optimistic, but I won't say it can't happen.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Murphy was supposed to be an offensive dynamo from the back end when he was drafted. That's just not Skjei's game. The comparison to Hanifin (at least to what Hanifin has become in the NHL) is a good one. Both players have all the tools (except for a muffin of a shot) and the size you'd want from a d-man but they can't really seem to put it together consistently to become an effective hockey player.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Murphy was supposed to be an offensive dynamo from the back end when he was drafted. That's just not Skjei's game. The comparison to Hanifin (at least to what Hanifin has become in the NHL) is a good one. Both players have all the tools (except for a muffin of a shot) and the size you'd want from a d-man but they can't really seem to put it together consistently to become an effective hockey player.

A mature version of Hanifin would be a solid fit next to Pesce, actually. Hanifin was simply a necessary piece to get the elite RHD play that Hamilton brings. Skjei, when you combine that with the fact that he only costed a (likely) late 1st, is more developed than him and a better fit for the age range and experience level of our current core, especially if he can put it all together as a Cane. It's certainly not too late for him to elevate his game.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Skjei or Hamilton are what they are-middling top 4 offensively minded LD with issues in their own zone. Both also good for ~30pts a season.

Skjei-Pesce has the makings of a fantastic 2nd pair...on paper. Although, Gardiner-Pesce also had that same appeal. Gardiner/Skjei-Pesce will likely be the 2nd pair for the foreseeable future regardless.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Skjei or Hamilton are what they are-middling top 4 offensively minded LD with issues in their own zone. Both also good for ~30pts a season.

Skjei-Pesce has the makings of a fantastic 2nd pair...on paper. Although, Gardiner-Pesce also had that same appeal. Gardiner/Skjei-Pesce will likely be the 2nd pair for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's not too late for Jake Gardiner, either. He really picked up his play late in the season. A fully healthy Gardiner vs. Skjei for the #2 LHD will be a fun competition to watch this postseason.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Hamilton?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
That's fair, I honestly didn't follow prospects as much back then so I wasn't sure, but the Hanifin comparison amkes more sense...though Skjei seems to have a bit more mobility and offensive instinct overall perhaps? I don't remember how often Hanifin charged up but Skjei damn near acted like a forward a couple times in the games I saw with him.

That’s what I get for looking at a convo half way through. Wanted to be sure before I told you how dumb you were :sarcasm:
That's not how the internet works, you shoot first and ask questions later...you read the headline and over-react without reading the details...you read the initial story with reading the updates...you assume meaning when you're not sure...and you definitely don't give anyone a chance to correct anything!!

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Canucks are allegedly willing to deal Brock Boeser in the right deal, likely for an elite RHD. In the event that Hamilton is asking for an exorbitant amount in UFA, I wonder if Vancouver and Carolina would consider a Hamilton-Boeser deal (if Hamilton agrees to an extension with Vancouver). There's very few players that I would consider trading Hamilton for, but Boeser's one of them. He's exactly what our top line could use with Teravainen and Aho.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Canucks are allegedly willing to deal Brock Boeser in the right deal, likely for an elite RHD. In the event that Hamilton is asking for an exorbitant amount in UFA, I wonder if Vancouver and Carolina would consider a Hamilton-Boeser deal (if Hamilton agrees to an extension with Vancouver). There's very few players that I would consider trading Hamilton for, but Boeser's one of them. He's exactly what our top line could use with Teravainen and Aho.
Vancouver can’t afford Hamilton

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I call bs on then trading Boeser. That’s an “I’ll believe that shit when I see it”. They love him. They need him. Has to be posturing for negotiations.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What negotiations?
I got it mixed up and said that wrong. They’ve already signed him obviously. Moving forward, I’ve read some things that they may not have enough room for everyone long term and that maybe he’s a guy that moves out especially if they can move that money to D. I don’t buy that at all about him being the bait.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m curious, what would y’all think we’d have to give up to get Spencer Knight from Florida, and if you think we should try? I’d be willing to give up our first this year (1OA protected) and Bean.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I’m curious, what would y’all think we’d have to give up to get Spencer Knight from Florida, and if you think we should try? I’d be willing to give up our first this year (1OA protected) and Bean.
You think Florida would bite though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad