Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Brannstrom and Kylington are LHD

I think we should be looking at a young-ish RHD

Boqvist was bought out by CBJ and hasn't signed anywhere yet. He hasn't been able to stay healthy but he has talent and is a good skater.

Reactions: TommyKillian

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not that it's my money, but think concerned with term less and less. GMs find a way to move On from the players if they really want to and it also may not even be their problem later down the road

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Not that it's my money, but think concerned with term less and less. GMs find a way to move On from the players if they really want to and it also may not even be their problem later down the road
True - but it has cost the Jets 5 mil in dead cap space this year from Schmidt and Wheeler.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup - I know that Pionk struggled last year (especially after he got hurt and what happened with his friend), but talks of buyout is lunacy for a team that performed so well defensively last year and the fact that we are critically thin on RHD.

Let's hope that Pionk has a renaissance year and then we can go from there.

I hope Pionk does not have another contract year renaissance. Much as I might like a season of good play from him, that will only get him extended for too much, too long and we will be back to garbage Pionk for x years.

It’s not like players under contract never get traded. He’s still behind Stutzle and Norris.

That said, I still think Columbus is where McG ends up. With Monahan, Jenner, Fantilli, Sillinger, Johnson and Lindstrom all as natural centres in the Organization, something’s gotta give.

If It’s in a bigger package with Ehlers involved then you can maybe pry a good young defenseman from them.

CBJ is my dream scenario right now. I can come up with several different packages from them for Ehlers + McGroarty that appear to me to make sense from both sides.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see our special teams getting much better with very little changes. Dallas didn't really lose anyone significant and I still think they end up top of the division. Colorado has oodles of offence but still some big holes.

I think the hope is that our ST troubles were more about systems than personnel.

They don't need to improve to top of the league to make a difference. League avg would do a lot.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You just said you were posting a chart to show us that Pionk has been 'good' - all the stats Ive seen indicate that the Can division season was an anomaly in his career rather than the norm

It is worrisome to hear connected guys like Wiebe say they wouldn't be surprised to see a Pionk extension
Haha no, sorry i meant to say someone was going to counter me with a chart.

I hope Pionk does not have another contract year renaissance. Much as I might like a season of good play from him, that will only get him extended for too much, too long and we will be back to garbage Pionk for x years.

CBJ is my dream scenario right now. I can come up with several different packages from them for Ehlers + McGroarty that appear to me to make sense from both sides.
Haha ok so now we're cheering against our players so we can cheap out on them 🤣

Chevy is pretty smart. He rarely pays off small sample sizes so if Pionk is lights out next year and asks for too much Chevy will let him walk and everyone will be happy, right?

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
True - but it has cost the Jets 5 mil in dead cap space this year from Schmidt and Wheeler.
Yeah there's definitely negative consequences. I just don't think gm's care that much anymore bc it may not be their problem by the time years 6 or 7 kicks in, and they would rather have the player than not during their tenure. Like Stephenson for example it may have taken the 7th year to get the deal done. The Seattle GM probably cares more about having him than the 7th year bc what are the chances the Seattle GM is still the same person when that kicks in

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Chevy is pretty smart. He rarely pays off small sample sizes so if Pionk is lights out next year and asks for too much Chevy will let him walk and everyone will be happy, right?

Not so we can cheap out on him. So we can wish him well in his future endeavors.

I hope he plays out his contract and is replaced by Salomonsson the next year.

Chevy paid off big on Pionk's one good year before. If Pionk has a good year, Chevy will give him a raise and 5 years.

Right, which was my point.

Which I was in agreement with. Just provided ways he might express it without saying he had his tender feelings hurt.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Haha no, sorry i meant to say someone was going to counter me with a chart.

After watching Neal Pionk's fumble around for 4 out of the last 5 years, if Chevy gets fooled into re-signing him for any price, we have way bigger problems than Neal Pionk.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not so we can cheap out on him. So we can wish him well in his future endeavors.

I hope he plays out his contract and is replaced by Salomonsson the next year.

Chevy paid off big on Pionk's one good year before. If Pionk has a good year, Chevy will give him a raise and 5 years.
I don't think it's fair to compare these situations. Pionk was 24 when he signed his last deal, and had leverage due to his remaining RFA years. He still showed promise.

This time around Chevy knows what he is getting, and he also knows that there's likely not a lot of development left for Pionk.

Chevy is also 4 years more experienced.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 1.56.31 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 1.54.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 1.54.00 PM.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad