Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Denton Mateychuk from Columbus. He was drafted two ahead of Rutger and has also been developing really well.

Mathew Savoie is another one who might be available due to Buffalo being weak at LW amd strong at C and RW.

I'd be happy with either - assuming CBJ or Buffalo is willing. I have my doubts they would be

I am personally hoping for McDavid or Bedard, but either of those two will do.

Re: McDavid - just what we needed, a player who can't win a cup :sarcasm:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Things are starting to look grim on that front. Chevy seems content on running it back despite us getting caved. Hard to make fun of Toronto when we seem to have the same humiliation fetish.
I think if Chevy stands pat all you can hope for is growth seasons from young players and the UFA crop either plays for good contracts or their contracts become some much needed draft capital.

It's hard to gauge the Central until the free agency period starts. Chevy still has the Mc Groarty chip to play, which could net an interesting return.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You can't run a successful organization scared.

Nope but it seems like, from the outside, that is where we are right now.

Winning games sells. Unfortunately for anyone who is hoping for a step back type of gameplan, last season when fans only started to show up when they were playing meaningful games and having the Commissioner have to do a press conference relating to "attendance concerns", teams of kids that try hard but lose don't sell, and if you want a San Jose style "We're bad for a few years because we don't even have any kids to play yet" rebuild, that REALLY doesn't sell. And as smaller markets in this league have shown, once you get the perennial loser label it's hard to shake that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I’ve maintained since the end of our season, that we need to make a youth movement. As in, bring up some guys that are clearly ready and let them have their growing pains. I’m not talking rebuild or anything. I’m talking bring in the young guys now so we can eventually transition from the older core. There’s no need to rebuild or reload. And we’re at a good point with some good talent that this is a great time to do so. Perfetti and Heinola leading the way. We’re not repeating 110 point season. Bring in some youth, make the playoffs, and go from there. We have little to lose and a lot to gain. Low risk, high reward.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd be completely shocked If Stamkos would be interested in signing here. Not after playing his whole career in Tampa having won 2 cups.

I'd be extremely shocked if Stammer doesn't sign in Tampa. If you have seen him and Hedmans setup... its like why even leave?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Winning games sells. Unfortunately for anyone who is hoping for a step back type of gameplan, last season when fans only started to show up when they were playing meaningful games and having the Commissioner have to do a press conference relating to "attendance concerns", teams of kids that try hard but lose don't sell, and if you want a San Jose style "We're bad for a few years because we don't even have any kids to play yet" rebuild, that REALLY doesn't sell. And as smaller markets in this league have shown, once you get the perennial loser label it's hard to shake that.

Its tough. Mark C will not endorse any form of step back and I do understand that. I agree winning hockey does sell when it comes to in season game to game. We have been a reasonably effective regular season team lately. On the flip side one of the most sales damaging aspects of this team and organization is how inept we are in the playoffs. We are basically what the Minnesota Wild were for a decade or more. Respectable team that is good enough to make the playoffs most seasons but always first round cannon fodder. That level doesn’t help sell season ticket packages.

We can and will continue to compete for the playoffs while tinkering for the next 3 or 4 seasons but it’s not a pathway to a cup with this core in this era IMO.

With where this core is at I think what the org will have to count on is luck. We need one bad season where we get very lucky and hit on a franchise altering draft pick. Colorado and Cale Makar comes to mind as an example. Not a full bottom out just one unintentionally bad season and a great pick. Teams do have off seasons so fingers crossed on luck coming out of that if it happens.

This core badly needs the injection of a young superstar and that won’t happen through free agency or by design.

Its a bit of a Catch 22

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Its tough. Mark C will not endorse any form of step back and I do understand that. I agree winning hockey does sell when it comes to in season game to game. We have been a reasonably effective regular season team lately. On the flip side one of the most sales damaging aspects of this team and organization is how inept we are in the playoffs. We are basically what the Minnesota Wild were for a decade or more. Respectable team that is good enough to make the playoffs most seasons but always first round cannon fodder. That level doesn’t help sell season ticket packages.

We can and will continue to compete for the playoffs while tinkering for the next 3 or 4 seasons but it’s not a pathway to a cup with this core in this era IMO.

With where this core is at I think what the org will have to count on is luck. We need one bad season where we get very lucky and hit on a franchise altering draft pick. Colorado and Cale Makar comes to mind as an example. Not a full bottom out just one unintentionally bad season and a great pick. Teams do have off seasons so fingers crossed on luck coming out of that if it happens.

This core badly needs the injection of a young superstar and that won’t happen through free agency or by design.

Its a bit of a Catch 22

You nailed it. We either need a unintentionally bad season or a complete stroke of luck getting someone great in the draft. Sometimes both helps.

Tampa hit on both being bad enough to draft Drouin which turned into Sergachev and hitting on Kucherov, Vasi and Point.

The trouble is even if we hit on some guys soon they are still likely 2-3 years out before they can step in and likely another 2-3 years before they became major contributors.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
You nailed it. We either need a unintentionally bad season or a complete stroke of luck getting someone great in the draft. Sometimes both helps.

Tampa hit on both being bad enough to draft Drouin which turned into Sergachev and hitting on Kucherov, Vasi and Point.

The trouble is even if we hit on some guys soon they are still likely 2-3 years out before they can step in and likely another 2-3 years before they became major contributors.
And then 2-3 years before leaving in free agency or asking to be traded …

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

It would be equivalent to Lambert and Chibrikov becoming Point and Kucherov. I’m not sure you can count on that happening too often.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
today is the last day to place players on waivers for a buyout at 11 am, the next window would open up if a player elects arbitration

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad