Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Miserable day for Canadian men's tennis. Both Shapo and Felix lose, dumbly and predictably in the former case, weakly and uninspired in the latter's case. Cobolli is on a hell of a talent surge. Maybe Italy can be allowed to have two Davis Cup teams.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas gets beat by Nishikori who doesn't defeat top twenty players any more. Badosa is in Montreal, too. A theory out there is that Stefanos is such a contented love bird his game has gone all shot to hell since their affair started. Whatever the truth is, people shouldn't blame the girl. It's the guy with the tennis racket in his hand who's not doing his job.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas' backhand seems to be getting worse, but what was surprising today was his poor movement. At 25, his game suddenly seems to be in rapid decline.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Tsitsipas gets beat by Nishikori who doesn't defeat top twenty players any more. Badosa is in Montreal, too. A theory out there is that Stefanos is such a contented love bird his game has gone all shot to hell since their affair started. Whatever the truth is, people shouldn't blame the girl. It's the guy with the tennis racket in his hand who's not doing his job.

Lol, I made that joke after Stef got back with her after winning Monte Carlo but she seems to be doing fine. Definitely a Tsitsipas issue and not Badosa.

EDIT: What in the hell happened in Montreal today with these upsets? Looks like all the Olympic guys hit an insane wall today besides Sasha/Ruud

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Everyone who played in Paris seems to be losing today so I guess I should throw a few bucks on Korda to beat Fritz

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner returns to court with a nice grindy, meat-and-potatoes two-set win over Coric. Nothing fancy, just all-around solid tennis except for his first serve (which didn't hurt him anyway)--exactly the kind of match he needs right now to get back into the swing of things before the US Open.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I guess the Olympics forced some hoops to be jumped through in terms of scheduling. The men and women's finals and the men's double finals in Toronto will take place on Monday, two full days into the Cincinnati Open. This could cause some players, the Toronto finalists especially, some very unwelcome complications trying to align their fitness for the US Open.

Let's say Sinner wins the Toronto tournament. He will already have played five consecutive days and will arrive in Cincy at the start of the second round, meaning he will have some catching up to do which will equal more consecutive days of playing matches. If he goes deep in Cincy, he could be a shell by the time New York rolls around.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: QueerGirrl

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic withdraws from the Cincinnati Open. Guess he has opted for more rest, plus there is a big traditional celebration in Belgrade regarding athletic achievement that he probably prioritizes well above a tennis tournament.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I guess the Olympics forced some hoops to be jumped through in terms of scheduling. The men and women's finals and the men's double finals in Toronto will take place on Monday, two full days into the Cincinnati Open. This could cause some players, the Toronto finalists especially, some very unwelcome complications trying to align their fitness for the US Open.

Let's say Sinner wins the Toronto tournament. He will already have played five consecutive days and will arrive in Cincy at the start of the second round, meaning he will have some catching up to do which will equal more consecutive days of playing matches. If he goes deep in Cincy, he could be a shell by the time New York rolls around.
From bad to worse. Today was completely cancelled early on due to heavy rain thanks to the tail end of Hurricane Debbie. Now I don't have a clue what they do.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev beats Sinner in three sets. Jannick faded badly in the third set of his second match of the day. Probably best that he didn't win which might have necessitated too much a test of his endurance going forward. On the other hand, old questions about his fitness reemerge.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sinner's cardio is beyond terrible, the injuries he picked up post the clay season were pointless for him. I'd say not for him to play the clay season, but he has to defend points for his ranking. Hard discussions need to be had if you're his coaches

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner's cardio is beyond terrible, the injuries he picked up post the clay season were pointless for him. I'd say not for him to play the clay season, but he has to defend points for his ranking. Hard discussions need to be had if you're his coaches
It sure appears that way. He is willing to do hard work; he is diligent at trying to improve his game. And yet once he reaches a certain level of stress, his physical condition appears almost fragile. So I am beginning to wonder if the situation is chronic, imposing limits to how much he can do about the problem.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It sure appears that way. He is willing to do hard work; he is diligent at trying to improve his game. And yet once he reaches a certain level of stress, his physical condition appears almost fragile. So I am beginning to wonder if the situation is chronic, imposing limits to how much he can do about the problem.

Hip/wrist situations are the most career threatening injuries for a tennis player. Sinner's game also really isn't that great for clay tbh like I said before, he should definitely think about playing way less clay tournaments next year and play on the hard court ones way more.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hip/wrist situations are the most career threatening injuries for a tennis player. Sinner's game also really isn't that great for clay tbh like I said before, he should definitely think about playing way less clay tournaments next year and play on the hard court ones way more.
Hard courts are definitely his best surface, but how do you convince a young player with a career record of .711 on clay that it's in his bed interests to significantly lessen his appearances on the surface? Tough sell.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Hard courts are definitely his best surface, but how do you convince a young player with a career record of .771 on clay that it's in his bed interests to significantly lessen his appearances on the surface? Tough sell.

100% but he won the AO + Miami before the clay season swing, he looked absolutely dominant. Once that injury in Monte Carlo happened with Tsitsipas, it derailed his entire year. Even so, that I 100% think that the clay part of the Olympics made him decide to sit out. I think if it was hard court he would've went imo.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alexei Popryn is the surprise winner in Toronto. Certainly didn't see this coming. He defeats a badly off form Rublev who struggled mightily to get on track but just couldn't quite do it despite several golden opportunities.

Reactions: QueerGirrl

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Watching the Cincy open and can't believe another early exit for Bianca.
Bianca has the physical side of the game and the technical but it
seems to be the mental side of game that is pulling her down. She has the skills!
C'mon Bianca! You can do it!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Watching that US Open of hers, I thought Andeescu was the next elite and would take the women's power game to a new level. I was massively wrong on that one.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix has an easy time of it over Kovacevic, who looked overmatched, and Leylah comes from behind to win in three sets over Yue.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kostyuk opens by breaking Swiatek, 1-love. Cincy is very fast; I can't imagine Iga feeling comfortable on this surface.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix loses yet another three setter after winning the first set. Draper wins on a controversial point that ended the match, though I think the chair umpire made the right call. The main culprit again was Felix's out-of-control forehand which accounted for 23 unforced errors.

Summer hard courts should be lighting quick, about time.

This quick, though??? I prefer Montreal, medium bounce, medium speed, medium spin.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Good match between Tiafoe and Lehecka....

Just curious, what's a good app to subscribe to with the Tennis Channel ? I'm not much of a movie or TV guy and have only had free apps so far.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Felix loses yet another three setter after winning the first set. Draper wins on a controversial point that ended the match, though I think the chair umpire made the right call. The main culprit again was Felix's out-of-control forehand which accounted for 23 unforced errors.

Why do you think it was the right call?

Regardless, in the era of instant replay a match shouldn't have to be decided by an umpire who probably lost track of the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad