Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After losing the first set 6-3, Tsitsipas went up 4-love in the second, but couldn't hold on, eventually losing the set to Nole 7-6. I was rooting for a Nole/Carlos final but now I want Felix in there.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andy out of the doubles as Fritz/Paul advance convincingly. Classy, the Americans didn't take a bow at the end of the match, leaving the spotlight to Murray.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Watching Schiemedlova play is painful. She exudes the energy of a sloth and can't keep the ball in play. Vekic, who looks exhausted (and who can blame her?) is just hoping to get this one over fast as she looks like she is running on fumes.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic survived a sharp pain in his knee at 3-love in the second set against Tsitsipas. Extent of the injury will not be known until tomorrow. It may be nothing but it is worrisome at the moment.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix holds serve to start the match but it was a lot of work. :laugh: Keep getting that first serve in, Felix, like 80% of the time, okay?

Well, that didn't take long, Felix is broken for 2-1. His only option really is to be perfect against Carlos and that is too tall an order.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix first served well (73%), returned well, but anytime the point was extended beyond four shots, he was at the mercy of Carlos' speed, superior ground strokes and insane shotmaking, 6-1.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2nd set: Felix's game deteriorated as he lost hope, 6-1. Sad way for a great run to end....but he still has a shot at the bronze, possibly even a good shot if Nole's knee injury does become a factor.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What is Schmiedlova's over/under in games against Iga, I wonder. Three, four?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Alcaraz is next level, he's approaching Peak Fed level IMO although I don't know if any tennis player will ever play to '04-'07 Federer level again.

The one issue I have now is competition level. Djokovic is still really good but clearly not in prime anymore and his body is starting to fail him, Medvedev is pretty legit but mostly on hard courts, Sinner obviously but his conditioning leaves a lot to be desired and Zverev/Tsitsipas simply can't perform in big matches against top guys. Alcaraz is amazing and would be in any era but this mens' era is in a clear transition phase so he needs more competition. Really need a young Alcaraz/Sinner level guy to pop up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic is playing and looking to shorten points; Musetti quite happy to extend them as much as possible.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At 5-4, Musetti makes two horrendous decisions on serve. On hold point, he hits an easy putaway at net right back to Nole who reflexes an incredible lob and at set point, Matteo tries an ill-timed drop shot that heads straight for the net.

Otherwise, an excellent set of high level tennis with Nole showing no signs of an injury.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Four straight service breaks to start the second set. Both seem to be feeling the pressure but in different ways, Musetti's becoming more impatient and making more questionable decisions and Nole is getting increasingly agitated at himself, his box and the umpire. Intense stuff.

4-2 Nole as Musetti's bad decisions at the end of the first set seem to have completely blown his concentration in the second set. He has been broken three straight times.

Broken again for 6-2. As a test of wills and mental toughness, this was ultimately no contest.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapo defaulted in Washington for cursing at a spectator. There was a mitigating circumstance--an obnoxious spectator--but Denis should have known better.

Picked Carlos to win against Nole at the start. No reason to switch horses now. I'm going to guess three sets.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00