Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Very nice, confidence-building win for Nole over Griekspoor. Tallon started the match like a house afire, hitting blazing forehands through Nole. Griekspoor even was up love-40 with Djokovic serving at 4-5. But as is often the case with Griekspoor he couldn't close the deal and went quietly in the second set 6-1. Djokovic is getting exactly the kind of practice for Roland Garros that he needs.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Machac is definitely not the guy you want to play if you are still trying to round into shape. While he seldom finds angles and he rarely takes the net--it's a very north/south game--Machac will hit the ball as hard as he can and keep the ball in play for what seems like forever. The match was a game of streaks where the players traded their dominance. Machac won the last five games of the first set, lost all six games of the second set and then rebounded as Nole's endurance ebbed to take six of seven games in the deciding set. Odd set scores indeed. I still think that Nole got what he wanted from the week and will be the better for it in Paris.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Machac is definitely not the guy you want to play if you are still trying to round into shape. While he seldom finds angles and he rarely takes the net--it's a very north/south game--Machac will hit the ball as hard as he can and keep the ball in play for what seems like forever. The match was a game of streaks where the players traded their dominance. Machac won the last five games of the first set, lost all six games of the second set and then rebounded as Nole's endurance ebbed to take six of seven games in the deciding set. Odd set scores indeed. I still think that Nole got what he wanted from the week and will be the better for it in Paris.
I wonder what it will do for his confidence. He seemed to be grunting really loud as well because he isn't in great shape.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a great story. 20-year-old Giovanni Mpetshi Perricord, ranked #117, a career high, wins his home tournament in Lyon. Only his fourth ATP tournament, he had a career record of 2-3 coming in. Given a wild card by the tournament, he beat Sonego, Gaston and Bublik along the way before defeating Etcheverry 7-6 in the third set. He leapfrogs all the way to #66 in the world rankings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Big news:

He pays a very hefty fine, but he also remains innocent in the eyes of German law.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If Alcaraz wins one of the next 3 Aussies, he will be the youngest GS winner ever.

I may be able to win one point against him by hitting his body with my serve.
If you stand ten feet away from him that will increase your chances. :nod:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Big news:

He pays a very hefty fine, but he also remains innocent in the eyes of German law.
Actually, I was absolutely in error on this statement above. Zverev does not remain innocent in the eyes of German law. According to the spokesperson for the German court, the truth remains open--undetermined one way or another. That there was a settlement doesn't determine guilt or innocence; on that score, there is simply no verdict.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Grass season has arrived. Demon and Draper win 250-level Wimbledon precursors against Korda and Berrettini, respectively.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bianca lost a 3 setter in the finals yesterday. She had a MTO and came back with her thigh wrapped. Hopefully it isn't serious.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Raonic with a nice, tense three set win over Norrie, 7-6 (9) in the third set. Milos must have had close to 50 aces. I wouldn't want to be the player that draws him in the first or second round at Wimbledon.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Raonic with a nice, tense three set win over Norrie, 7-6 (9) in the third set. Milos must have had close to 50 aces. I wouldn't want to be the player that draws him in the first or second round at Wimbledon.
47!!! That's amazing

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Milos was denied a wildcard at Wimbledon so he has to get through qualies. Pretty crappy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Where is commentary when you want it (announcerless feed)? Murray visibly hurting even in the warm-up. Broken immediately, now 2-1 with an extended medical time-out. This would be a genuinely sad way to go if he can't continue, especially if it threatens his last appearance at Wimbledon. He's continuing but he is hobbled. Doubt this lasts long.

Andy withdraws at 1-4. He may have one more match in him for the first round at Wimbledon, but that is almost certainly going to be the end.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad