Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Speaking of unheralded newcomers, Wu looked great beating Isner in a match that went three tie breakers, winning the last one 14-12. This guy has some real skills. He doesn't look anything like a flash in the pan to me.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm really getting tired of Denis and his typical routine of talking to or at his box after every point. He needs to stop looking at them for answers and figuring things our for himself.

Reactions: otown and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm really getting tired of Denis and his typical routine of talking to or at his box after every point. He needs to stop looking at them for answers and figuring things our for himself.

He certainly seems to have plateaued a little bit. Physical game is there but something missing upstairs...

Straightforward for Felix today and into the QF. Probably facing Medvedev next. It will be their first meeting since the epic 5 set AO QF in 2022.

Alcaraz made his return last night in Buenos Aires.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner's dominant 6-4, 6-3 win over Tsitsipas felt rife with added significance, Tactically Jannick from the backcourt reminded me of Federer. He attacked Tsitsipas' backhand relentlessly but intelligently putting the Greek so far out of position that he made frequent forehand errors trying to recover. Especially in the first set, Stefanos fought back with aggressive volleying but he controlled few points. I couldn't help thinking that maybe Tsitsipas and Zverev are their generation's Berdych and Tsonga.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
He has the tools but his attitude is holding him back. The only blame game you can play is with yourself!
He may have peaked unless things change by mixing his shots up more, cutting back on unforced errors and controlling his temper. He tries to paint the lines way too much. Easy for me to say from my couch! Lol

Watched Felix against Medvedev today. Definitely wasn't himself. He appeared tired, service game was lacking and generally was missing shots he normally would pounce on.
Not taking anything away from Medvedev though. Consistent as always from the baseline and just waiting for his opponent to make the unforced error.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nothing worked for Felix today. He served at 50,% for the match, had 28 unforced errors off the forehand, and Daniil out- thought and outplayed him almost the entire match. He was very easy pickings for a sharp Medvedev.

Reactions: otown

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos is back and thanks to an improved serve, better than ever. He defeated Norrie 3 and 5 in a match that wasn't as close as the scores indicated to retain his Argentina title.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev is back, too. He defeated Sinner 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 in vintage fashion. Midway through the second set Sinner was gassed as Daniil looked like his old self, running the Italian around like crazy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix makes the semis and a date with Medvedev after an exciting straight set win. 4 and 6, over Davidovich Fokina. There wasn't much to choose between them the entire match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Murray wins another nail biter. He saves five match points including breaking Lehecka who was serving for the match in the third set and leading 40-love.

Andy will meet Medvedev in the Qatar final who defeated FAA in a tough two setter. Felix played hard but mediocre serving, fine returning by Daniil and the old standby, overhitting, did him in.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev over Murray 4 and 4. Andy fell behind early in each set, put up stern resistance the rest of the way, but Daniil stayed steady. Second straight championship for Daniil, a sign he might be truly back in peak form.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Norrie and Alcaraz are going to a third set in Rio and Carlos has a thigh now heavily wrapped

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Norrie wins Rio 7-5 in the third set. His win is almost overshadowed by Alcaraz's ability to get the set that far on one leg--a display of outright winners, delicate drop shots and the mastery of every shot in the book. Congrats to Cam but Carlos advances his reputation just a little too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad