Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Part of me is tempted to put a few bucks on John Isner to win the Open this year for the lolz, and because a lot of the European players will probably pass either because of travel expediency or the risk factor. The French didn't do the US Open or tennis any favors by dive-bombing to late September.

You make a good point in theory that people should just cede the French to Nadal including Joker but top athletes don't think that way. Maybe Joker doesn't want an asterisk by one of his majors if he does finish with one more than Fed and/or Nadal. Beating Nadal and most of the European pros at the French would be seen as legit, beating Isner, a ton of other North Americans and a few overseas stragglers to win the US Open less so.

I think Raonic has a shot at the US Open if it's a weak field. He should be healthy and probably would view it as his best shot.

Reactions: Beau Knows

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If you test negative you are only negative at that time, right? And there are failures among the tests. I wish they would just shut sports down immediately.

Oh and I also can't believe I agree with Kyrgios!

My question was answered. Ivanisovic tested negative initially and announced today he's positive.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Apparently, there's footage of Zverev partying after he indicated he was going to quarantine after the infections on the Adria tour.

It further draws into question how likely players would adhere to quarantine protocols if play resumes soon. Hard to expect hundreds of players to take protocols seriously, when you don't see the top guys lead by example.

It's also Nick Kyrgios calling him out on Twitter,which still is funny to me.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Apparently, there's footage of Zverev partying after he indicated he was going to quarantine after the infections on the Adria tour.

It further draws into question how likely players would adhere to quarantine protocols if play resumes soon. Hard to expect hundreds of players to take protocols seriously, when you don't see the top guys lead by example.

It's also Nick Kyrgios calling him out on Twitter,which still is funny to me.

Of course being Kyrgios his video calling Zverev out for endangering others had to have it's own problem, he's driving around while looking and talking to the phone.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Zverev is an idiot. He's so easily recognizable because of his height and he lies then goes clubbing where everyone has their phone out. Not too bright.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Of course being Kyrgios his video calling Zverev out for endangering others had to have it's own problem, he's driving around while looking and talking to the phone.

Yeah, I noticed that. It's not quite a full face turn by the guy.

Speaking of the good guys in tennis,has anyone seen Roger Federer comment on any of this? I know he's shut down,but,if there's one person that can deliver a message about the importance of safety protocols,and what's acdeptable or not, he's the guy.

It might be a political mine field right now that he's trying to avoid, but I'd be curious on his thoughts.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Yeah, I noticed that. It's not quite a full face turn by the guy.

Speaking of the good guys in tennis,has anyone seen Roger Federer comment on any of this? I know he's shut down,but,if there's one person that can deliver a message about the importance of safety protocols,and what's acdeptable or not, he's the guy.

It might be a political mine field right now that he's trying to avoid, but I'd be curious on his thoughts.

I think Roger needs to keep his mouth shut and let these players deal with it. It's obvious he and Djokovic aren't friends so it's better for him not to say anything.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Roger, like the country that he represents, usually doesn't take sides. I doubt that will change this time around.

Novak is certainly not the first person of influence (or person of power, etc.) to screw up during the pandemic (thousands have come before him in already). If he learns from his ways he'll be forgiven, but as we've already seen that's hardly a guarantee.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
DraftKings All-American Team Cup Comes to Metro Atlanta July 3-5

This could go very, very wrong, not the least because Atlanta isn't exactly the safest place in the US at the moment.
But if they behave out of the court, it won't do like it did in Adria.

(That's also a lot of very boring tennis ahead)

The event allows ticketed fans into the Life Time stadium court with “social distancing” in place.

Yikes. For context, Georgia is getting more cases per day than western Europe right now.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Speaking of spectators, French Open plans on having people in the stands.

Maybe the people who plan these events know more than we do. I was under the impression a pandemic was still on.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Speaking of spectators, French Open plans on having people in the stands.

Maybe the people who plan these events know more than we do. I was under the impression a pandemic was still on.

This is so irresponsible. That means less than every other seat will be occupied. The only saving grace is they don't have any closed stadiums but all that clapping and yelling will circulate the virus. I wouldn't play in a stadium like this, let alone attend as a fan.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This is so irresponsible. That means less than every other seat will be occupied. The only saving grace is they don't have any closed stadiums but all that clapping and yelling will circulate the virus. I wouldn't play in a stadium like this, let alone attend as a fan.

If I was a player, before this announcement, I would have been putting my energy towards the clay court tournaments in Europe over the US swing,as I figured that's the riskier bet, but fans in stands demonstrates that they're not taking precautions seriously on this.

Its even more amazing when you consider we're only a week removed from the Adria tour disaster.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Wimbledon was quickly cancelled, apparently since the SARS scare they've paid for pandemic insurance, receiving $142 million US this year. With the way the US and French Open have been so insistent with going through with their tournaments this year they must not have made that investment.

The French Open being at 60% capacity is absurd. Are these organizations in that much financial trouble from losing out on 1 year or 2 years or is it just greed?

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Wimbledon was quickly cancelled, apparently since the SARS scare they've paid for pandemic insurance receiving $142 million US. With the way the US and French Open have been so insistent with going through with their tournaments this year they must not have made that investment.

The French Open being at 60% capacity is absurd. Are these organizations in that much financial trouble from losing out on 1 year or 2 years or is it just greed?

Probably a bit of both.

It's been incredible to watch these sports organization have such tunnel vision on trying to run events in unsafe conditions. Everybody needs to make a living, but it's been a remarkable disregard for safety.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Things are going much better in France now, but not "let's put half of asses we could possibly put in a stadium" much better.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Everybody needs to make a living, but it's been a remarkable disregard for safety.

And therein lies the problem. I totally agree with your statement as written, but the problem is that someone who prioritizes dollars and cents (in the millions) would simply reverse the order of your statement to say "it's been a remarkable disregard for safety, but everybody needs to make a living"

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Tiafoe tested positive. Meanwhile, Isner is behaving like a fool on twitter, complaining about "coronabros" because people want to be cautious. I don't know why he engages with anyone on Twitter, he just digs himself into a deeper hole.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

My guess is the French is going to do what the Australian is talking about doing. They may only allow citizens of the country into the stands. That way if the cases are under control in the country the risk of you having massive spread as result is low. I continue to believe the US Open is going to allow some people into the matches as well but it will probably be restricted to New York residents only

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Tiafoe tested positive. Meanwhile, Isner is behaving like a fool on twitter, complaining about "coronabros" because people want to be cautious. I don't know why he engages with anyone on Twitter, he just digs himself into a deeper hole.

How is that event not cancelled? Per their twitter, they're just operating as normal.

If they won't cancel a meaningless exhibition, I worry about the big tournaments.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
How is that event not cancelled? Per their twitter, they're just operating as normal.

If they won't cancel a meaningless exhibition, I worry about the big tournaments.

I know, right? They just replaced him with another guy.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I know, right? They just replaced him with another guy.

I'm really glad Rogers Cup was cancelled early. It's literally the last week on the calendar before official events start up,and with every other country throwing caution to the wind,it would have been tempting for local officials to try and push it through.

It's clear at this point that the players do not see it as a threat,and quarantine requirements for any tournament are not likely to be followed.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
ATP has changed the ranking systems to account for the COVID impacts. Playea ranking ia based on their top 18 tournaments over March 2019 period to December 2020 period.

ATP Announces Adjustments To FedEx ATP Rankings Due To COVID-19 | ATP Tour | Tennis

You can't have a specific tour event count twice. This gives players a bit more freedom to skip tournaments for health and safety reasons without getting penalized in rankings.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The mayor of New York is on CNN now and he said the US Open will definitely not include fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad