Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Man, that last service game was tense, Thiem going down love-40 and obviously showing nerves only to pull it out with some clutch play and one heart-stopping drop shot that must have cleared the net by half an inch. For Rafa, his groundies really lack depth these days with so many shots landing near or inside the service line. Great performance by Thiem and a confidence builder for the French Opem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Of course my PVR decided that I wasn't going to see the end of that match. What I saw was more Thiem playing great than Rafa playing badly.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
And no surprise today as Thiem cruises to the title.
He was down a break right off the bat and I was only able to watch till he broke back. A bagel in the second is pretty impressive. I hope he hasn't peaked too early for the French.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He was down a break right off the bat and I was only able to watch till he broke back. A bagel in the second is pretty impressive. I hope he hasn't peaked too early for the French.
"Peaking" is a lot like "momentum" to me. I'm very skeptical of these words which really are the construct of sports writer's trying to explain things by simplifying them. It's still early in the season; his legs are fresh, and he is still young. If you were him, how would you feel about it? Would you feel that you benefited from losing in the quarters or semis, or would you really feel good about winning Barcelona and be eager for the next tournament?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
"Peaking" is a lot like "momentum" to me. I'm very skeptical of these words which really are the construct of sports writer's trying to explain things by simplifying them. It's still early in the season; his legs are fresh, and he is still young. If you were him, how would you feel about it? Would you feel that you benefited from losing in the quarters or semis, or would you really feel good about winning Barcelona and be eager for the next tournament?

It depends, if he gets too high because of his win he might lose focus. If someone loses earlier, like Nadal did, it might motivate.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Looks like Andreescu won't be making her return from injury next week in Madrid.

She is only just back on the court.

Hopefully Rome, but probably not.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Zverev falls in the QF in Munich and fails to defend his title.

Gotta wonder where his confidence is going into the big spring clay swing coming up (Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros).

Hasn't been a stellar start to 2019 for him.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev falls in the QF in Munich and fails to defend his title.

Gotta wonder where his confidence is going into the big spring clay swing coming up (Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros).

Hasn't been a stellar start to 2019 for him.
I remember some semi--annoying infrequent poster making a comment a year and a half ago or so when we were all preferring Sascha over Thiem chiming in with, no, no, Thiem is gonna be better, you just wait and see. He may have had a point.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I remember some semi--annoying infrequent poster making a comment a year and a half ago or so when we were all preferring Sascha over Thiem chiming in with, no, no, Thiem is gonna be better, you just wait and see. He may have had a point.

Not much debate so far in 2019 :laugh:

Zverev has the Madrid title to defend aswell next week (final in Rome too).

We'll see if he can find his form.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev drops to #4 in the world and you know who moves up to #3---at the top of the ATP rankings, it seems like some combination of Nole, Rafa and Roger will never die.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Quite the draw in Madrid.

Denis-Felix first round. The winner gets Nadal...:laugh:

Also a rare Federer sighting on clay.

All the big guns out in Madrid. Del Potro also scheduled to return.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Is TSN carrying Madrid? I just checked my TV listings on Roger and didn't see it.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
TSN2 has tennis bloopers on tomorrow for hours. I can understand the Raptors' game being on most of their channels but surely to God they can give us this match on TSN2 instead of fluff?

Here's the answer.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Felix up a break early but they're both playing fairly sloppy tennis.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The linespeople are having a godawful day which adds immensely to the players' tension.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is exactly like watching one of the worst Serena/Venus matches.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So there is no hawkeye?
The Euro TV feed I'm getting is showing hawkeye, but I haven's seen a single player's challenge so far so I don't know. The players and the umpire have been sorting things out on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad