Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v17.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ello

Jun 12, 2018
There is some value in Bader's model, as well as other models used for projecting prospects.

But models aren't everything. If a model can't accurately account for a prospect missing 80% of their season due to hip surgery, than that model has some very obvious flaws.
isn't the model indirectly taking injuries into account? Like Bader said it doesnt matter why the player had such a poor season (poor performance, mental health, injury): a bad year in such a crucial developmental season, regardless of cause, has really bad developmental ramifications.

I think Nazar couldve spent another year at college and been better off for it. Kid basically lost a whole year. We'll see how this year goes. If he produces at a high level in the AHL id say that would quell most of our concerns

Crow

May 19, 2014
isn't the model indirectly taking injuries into account? Like Bader said it doesnt matter why the player had such a poor season (poor performance, mental health, injury): a bad year in such a crucial developmental season, regardless of cause, has really bad developmental ramifications.
I dont know why someone would make the assumption that a bad season and an injured season are the same without some kind of evidence. Lumping them all together does nothing to prove that assumption.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
how long has bader been doing his model? what kind of predictive power has he been able to demonstrate? has he applied his model to historical draft classes based on contemporaneously available information and compared its predictions to what we know happened historically? can he even do an experiment like that given the data he feeds into this proprietary black box?

models are very very useful. they are the single most effective tool human beings have to build working understandings of a dynamic world with imperfect knowledge. that usefulness is directly proportional to the model's historical predictive power.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
how long has bader been doing his model? what kind of predictive power has he been able to demonstrate? has he applied his model to historical draft classes based on contemporaneously available information and compared its predictions to what we know happened historically? can he even do an experiment like that given the data he feeds into this proprietary black box?

models are very very useful. they are the single most effective tool human beings have to build working understandings of a dynamic world with imperfect knowledge. that usefulness is directly proportional to the model's historical predictive power.

I don't know how long Bader has been doing his model but I do know that he has retroactively gone back at least 30 years.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I don't know how long Bader has been doing his model but I do know that he has retroactively gone back at least 30 years.
i suppose my question is what does that mean, "gone back"? maybe he goes into more depth on his methodology somewheres, but i honestly can't be bothered to look, and i won't really be satisfied without being able to look at his formulas and see exactly what he's doing.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
i suppose my question is what does that mean, "gone back"? maybe he goes into more depth on his methodology somewheres, but i honestly can't be bothered to look, and i won't really be satisfied without being able to look at his formulas and see exactly what he's doing.
He takes data from ~1990 onward and puts them into his model. Honestly we know what the guys from 30 years ago turn into. It's just NHLe.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
He takes data from ~1990 onward and puts them into his model. Honestly we know what the guys from 30 years ago turn into. It's just NHLe.
the problem in my mind is that in order to keep the model consistent, he's limited to the kinds of prospect statistics which were available 30 years ago. no possession, you can totally forget shot quality. be shocked if you could even find consistent time on ice data for prospects from 30 years ago depending on the league. what's he doing, plugging in points and plus/minus and calling it a day?

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Sounds like a bunch of made-up BS he's passing off as fancy stats.
to me this kind of stats influencer, throw some unspecified data into a spreadsheet, make a slick infographic to visualize what it spits out, and charge people for the privilege of checking your work is highly irritating, and a large part of why things like 'stats' and 'numbers' are looked at with suspicion by the average fan. all these guys give you is a conclusion. you get none of the value of seeing how that conclusion follows from real data and well reasoned inference.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
to me this kind of stats influencer, throw some unspecified data into a spreadsheet, make a slick infographic to visualize what it spits out, and charge people for the privilege of checking your work is highly irritating, and a large part of why things like 'stats' and 'numbers' are looked at with suspicion by the average fan. all these guys give you is a conclusion. you get none of the value of seeing how that conclusion follows from real data and well reasoned inference.

The only thing you forgot to mention is the temper-tantrum he'll throw when being questioned.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Clownshoe's model is literally just NHLe.

There are no fancy stats.

It's just point totals, adjusted to project equivalency in NHL scoring.

So if I say statistically AHL production translates to 0.5 in NHL equivalency, a player who scored 82 points in 82 AHL games would be projected to score 41 points in 82 NHL games.

That's what his model is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad