All-Purpose News Thread Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I would on agree on ratings but could one make a measurable impact on AEW? Hard to say. I wouldn't have thought Cody would have made the impact he has made in WWE but here we are. He was also booked like a superstar from the beginning and maybe the torn pec match elevated him to another level but when you look at where he was in his final year or so of AEW compared to where he is in WWE it's impressive. The fans bought in hook, line and sinker.
Probably for about a month, just like every other wrestler coming over from WWE.

See: Copeland, Black, Cole, Strickland came in cold and has now heated up, Keith Lee, Samoa Joe, Hardy & Hardy, FTR kind of are but they seem to be jobbers for the Bucks, Dillinger, Miro, Andrade, The Big Slow, Ruby Soho, Bobby Fish, O'Reilly, Toni Storm was cold but heated up with Timeless, Athena, Claudio went from midcard in WWE to midcard in AEW, Strong, and of course Ricochet but he is still in the just opened toy stage.

There are exceptions, with Bryan being pretty steady but booked terribly, Moxley doing his hardcore stuff, and Billy Gunn with the Acclaimed.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I would on agree on ratings but could one make a measurable impact on AEW? Hard to say. I wouldn't have thought Cody would have made the impact he has made in WWE but here we are. He was also booked like a superstar from the beginning and maybe the torn pec match elevated him to another level but when you look at where he was in his final year or so of AEW compared to where he is in WWE it's impressive. The fans bought in hook, line and sinker.
someone (old or new) could absolutely catch lightning in a bottle and it'd be great if it happened

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Only outside guy that was a consistent needle mover for AEW was Punk, and brawl out more or less led to the end of that

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The CW Network is airing this WWE special next weekend. It airs at various times on different CW affiliates.

maxresdefault.jpg

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
How did that go for WCW in the long run?

Tony has a tough enough time as is with putting together fluid storylines with who he has

K.O and Sami arent the names they once were and would be the typical AEW name thats hot for a moment and lost in the shuffle

Not only that but how many names will demand creative control like mone

I'm far from an AEW defender (Trust me, ask certain mods who will delete my posts if I say anything critical of AEW) but WCW died largely because AOL bought Time Warner and wanted nothing to do with wrestling, and they couldn't get a TV deal anywhere else.

With the advent of streaming, companies don't really need to worry about not getting some sort of deal, whether on cable or streaming. Content providers are starving for content.

Now, the question is whether that TV deal would be good enough for the company to profit. AEW's new deal is. But if their ratings continue to go down the tubes, their next one may not be.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I'm far from an AEW defender (Trust me, ask certain mods who will delete my posts if I say anything critical of AEW) but WCW died largely because AOL bought Time Warner and wanted nothing to do with wrestling, and they couldn't get a TV deal anywhere else.

With the advent of streaming, companies don't really need to worry about not getting some sort of deal, whether on cable or streaming. Content providers are starving for content.

Now, the question is whether that TV deal would be good enough for the company to profit. AEW's new deal is. But if their ratings continue to go down the tubes, their next one may not be.
What new deal? Rumored one from last week that has not been announced or confirmed? It's been a week and nothing but silence.

WCW died well before the AOL deal. Contracts for wrestlers were inflated, work schedule was almost non existent for some, creative control was in the hands of the talent, episodes towards the end were a mess, the fans had turned on everything they were doing. The AOL deal was just the straw.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
What new deal? Rumored one from last week that has not been announced or confirmed? It's been a week and nothing but silence.

WCW died well before the AOL deal. Contracts for wrestlers were inflated, work schedule was almost non existent for some, creative control was in the hands of the talent, episodes towards the end were a mess, the fans had turned on everything they were doing. The AOL deal was just the straw.

... That's kinda the point. It's somewhat similar to AEW except WCW fell apart because they couldn't secure TV distribution to keep the gongshow going.

AEW doesn't really have that problem... Yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad