Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

Interesting. And how many are interested in building an entertainment district?

Yeah sure, there's gonna be 10 bidders on the land auction site for the first time ever when people don't have to worry about the Coyotes. I mean, I would laugh uproariously if Meruelo failed the auction because he's too broke after selling the team and some other plug billionaire out bid him and turned the land into a nice theatre district complete with opera hall, since it would be the most Coyotes thing to ever happen. But somehow I doubt people are going to get into a bidding war, provide proof of intention to the state, and specifically go for this land and not the piece right next to it or any other plot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So did the NHL get an offer they couldn't refuse from Utah or what exactly was the catalyst of this sale? Meaning now instead of last season or after the TED failure?
IMO based on Gary's actions of last 2 decades its highly unlikely the NHL got an offer but rather presented an offer to SLC. It went something like "if you want in next year rather than 5 here's what we need from you ".

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
So will the SLC team fail within five years, ready to move back when new arena built? 3D Chess from Gary.

Sad days for Yotes fans, fans did not deserve this after all that has happened over the years.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
So will the SLC team fail within five years, ready to move back when new arena built? 3D Chess from Gary.

Sad days for Yotes fans, fans did not deserve this after all that has happened over the years.
I am not sure they will fail, but now they are playing in an arena that is not made for NHL and needs to be replaced.

Smith is developing an entertainment district with a sports arena, similar to AM , but is asking for $900m from Salt Lake City. The state has already approved the development, but the City Council has yet to approve the tax hike to tax payers yet..

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So did the NHL get an offer they couldn't refuse from Utah or what exactly was the catalyst of this sale? Meaning now instead of last season or after the TED failure?

PA whining, plus now the other owners are getting a payday and bringing in a guy they actually want, while kicking out an idiot who isn't paying hotels or per diem.

Taking the Coyotes problem off the board allows for expansion again, which is probably a 50-60m check for each owner.

Reactions: G Backup

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I am not sure they will fail, but now they are playing in an arena that is not made for NHL and needs to be replaced.

Smith is developing an entertainment district with a sports arena, similar to AM , but is asking for $900m from Salt Lake City. The state has already approved the development, but the City Council has yet to approve the tax hike to tax payers yet..
He has the church's support, the rest is automatic.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it's actually more then that. The brand is damaged yes but it's more like the fanbase itself is damaged. Every single time something started looking like it was going right a fan on the fence got kicked in the nuts.

There's an old saying in retail/restaurants that is something like "it takes months to find a customer but seconds to lose one". This is basically what has gone in the valley since the first lockout really but it went into overdrive sometime in 2014. Everytime a rebuild started looking good someone f***ed it up. Everytime ownership looked to be settling it would blow up. Everytime the arena situation was clearing up something would come out of left field.

You've already trained, between lockouts, ownership, covid, and politics, two generations of fans into apathy. I know many hockey fans who stopped going, stopped watching, moved on to other things. These fans were already in the fold and they left. That's BAD.
Fans need a winning team. IF that happens they will come. It's not really rocket science. The Coyote fan has not had that in over two decades.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Fans need a winning team. IF that happens they will come. It's not really rocket science. The Coyote fan has not had that in over two decades.

I don't disagree with you, but I just happened along this article talking about the Jazz selling out 282 games even though they're losing and rebuilding. Maybe the SLC fan is different.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't disagree with you, but I just happened along this article talking about the Jazz selling out 282 games even though they're losing and rebuilding. Maybe the SLC fan is different.

They have a record of winning, and are the only sport franchise in SLC. The fans aren't different, we all want the same thing.

Reactions: Prarievarg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

No, but its 10 year prognosis is sketchy.

The number of parallels between how Utah is getting their team and how we got the Coyotes are really amazing... And disturbing. And all of us here have said over and over that getting a team the way we did basically crippled Arizona from the outset.

What Utah has that we didn't that might improve their long term outlook is the fact that the NBA team is not going to siphon off the NHL team's profits like the Suns did to the Coyotes. Having Smith own both is a significant advantage we never had. Add to that, the Coyotes are a deep organization, built for the future, probably the deepest and most future-proof organization in the past half century to open a new market.

Those two things are going to go a long way toward protecting Utah's future... But don't be fooled into thinking this is an automatic slam dunk like Vegas and Seattle were, and like Houston ought to be someday.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah sure, there's gonna be 10 bidders on the land auction site for the first time ever when people don't have to worry about the Coyotes. I mean, I would laugh uproariously if Meruelo failed the auction because he's too broke after selling the team and some other plug billionaire out bid him and turned the land into a nice theatre district complete with opera hall, since it would be the most Coyotes thing to ever happen. But somehow I doubt people are going to get into a bidding war, provide proof of intention to the state, and specifically go for this land and not the piece right next to it or any other plot.
Or he just bids lower than the winning bid and says "sorry, I tired" and heads back to Nevada with his pile of dough.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Grizzlies are consistently top ten in ECHL attendance. A lot of people are underestimating SLC based on their own biases against SLC for non-sports reasons.

Of all the metrics you could have brought out, that one might be the least germane possible.

There are real challenges ahead for the SLC market and many of them are the same ones we had when the Jets got here. There is no clean slate in this scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad