Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Negotiating a better deal takes place before you enter a contract for goods and services.

Stiffing your business partner by reneging on the contracted price takes place after the goods and services have been consumed or delivered.

Meruelo is criticized for stiffing his business partners, not for negotiating a better price. There's a World of difference
And you know all this how? Or did you hear it from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Where are the stories of the other teams operating this way? Why is it only the team ran by Meruelo every time?
Maybe if you start following other teams more closely you will hear "stories." Have you heard about Isbia and the class action suit against him, or how about Bidwell getting fined by the NHL for some illegal conduct, or Kendricks of the Diamondback fighting with the state over repairs and threatening to move. And that is only here in Arizona. What about the KC Chiefs and Royals threatening to move if they don't get a new stadium? What about in your neck of the woods in Calgary. Has it all been peaches and cream with the Flames ownership?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Harold Ballard ran the Leaf back in the day.
He was the ultimate cheapskate and dipshit of an owner. Championship Banners? We can use them as covers while painting and later sell them (when He died they got new ones from the league). What names on a player jersey? How am i supposed to sell the game booklet (i think its called that) with the names of the players and their numbers?

And those are just two examples of the stuff he did. I bet my ass that he also skimmed on hotel bills and everything else to make a buck.
The thing is the leafs were mediocre at best between their last cup and the day he died. But still made money hand over fist.
He alienated beloved players, coaches and Play by play anouncers and still the people came.

He didn't have to do any of that but he still did and the league did not care. Because he rakes in the cash.
Which means you can be a bad owner as long as you bring in the dough everything is fine.
Harold Ballard also spent time in jail and is forever despised by Leafs Nation.

The guy in Arizona sounds kind of crooked, too.

Arizona deserves a franchise. The former owner doesn't.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The verdict has been on for months but hey continue to bury your head if you want. Oddly I've never heard the Coyotes say they didn't withhold payment or try to negotiate after services were rendered.?? Seems you might want to say something if the reports were incorrect??
Well, the way it sounds AM isn't a goodie two shoes like "I have run many millions dollar companies" Jamieh is. As if you have never missed paying any invoice, or late paying an invoice or changed an invoice total because the vendor was wrong. If you say that has never happened to you then I say BS to your claim of running million dollar companies.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
And who hired BA? Bottom line, we can cry about an owner allegedly not paying hotel bills, throwing hate on AM at every turn, but AM is our best bet to get a NHL team back within five years. IF he bails, it will be at least a decade, and with the political landscape in Arizona it will probably be longer. The Suns have class action suit Isbia, the Suns have convicted Bidwell, but guess what, their teams are here for their fans.

AM stated he wasn't aware of any unpaid hotel
Yup he did say that… was that because the league made him pay? They were late before and now he paid them up? Or was he on time an$ the story is made up? Half of the story is he was late on paying bills and the hotels went to the NHL to get him to pay upfront going forward… the other half is the bills were unpaid.

That’s the issue unless someone names source as you pointed out… or unless AM addresses it … everyone will pick a side and believe what they want..

I would like someone like Craig Morgan ( or whomever) to do an hour interview with AM and find out the truth… maybe not today.. but definitely if it looks like a team is coming back..

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Harold Ballard also spent time in jail and is forever despised by Leafs Nation.

The guy in Arizona sounds kind of crooked, too.

Arizona deserves a franchise. The former owner doesn't.
"Sound like." That's all everyone has.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
At the end of the day, who cares. True or false we can't do a damn thing about it, and it's really none of our business.

Yup he did say that… was that because the league made him pay? They were late before and now he paid them up? Or was he on time an$ the story is made up? Half of the story is he was late on paying bills and the hotels went to the NHL to get him to pay upfront going forward… the other half is the bills were unpaid.

That’s the issue unless someone names source as you pointed out… or unless AM addresses it … everyone will pick a side and believe what they want..

I would like someone like Craig Morgan ( or whomever) to do an hour interview with AM and find out the truth… maybe not today.. but definitely if it looks like a team is coming back..
Who cares. All this stuff is blown way out of proportion anyway.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That’s the problem with the world of hockey journalists… one person speculates…. And others report it as fact and and use the first guy as the source..

It was tough for me to hear all of this when it first came out.. because the person who reported it has been incorrect or very vague before.. and by the time it had hit the local radio stations up here.. the info was completely incorrect… time and time again..

Then certain experts would have podcasts about this misinformation.. finally come on the PHNX podcast for an interview.. only to find out that they are not in the loop. They were just quoting the first source who was proven wrong.

There was a reason Craig Morgan was so against the news when it first broke, because of the person who broke it, and how wrong or misinformed the guy had been in the past.

This time unfortunately it was correct… I guess you throw enough darts at a board one will stick.. As far as all the stories that are now being attached.. I guess in this case we assume it’s likely true to some extent.. until it’s proven wrong..AM had the chance to address the paying of bills, but just said he “wouldn’t be in business if he didn’t pay his bills” but that didn’t address if he was late, or changed the amounts…
Sorry man, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Morgan refused (like so many here), to believe it was a duck. Most all of the "accusations" being slung basically are true, it's unfortunate, but not uncommon in the corporate world. The accusations are also pretty much small potatoes and understandable (given the losses), the asshat's biggest fail was Tempe, not shaving pennies everywhere they could, but shouldn't have.
That's not to say round two won't be executed better.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

All I can tell you is that based on the folks I know who work, or worked for the team, they did "some" cheap ass shit.

Who cares. All this stuff is blown way out of proportion anyway.
Currently not much else to discuss with our local NHL franchise. :laugh:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Well, the way it sounds AM isn't a goodie two shoes like "I have run many millions dollar companies" Jamieh is. As if you have never missed paying any invoice, or late paying an invoice or changed an invoice total because the vendor was wrong. If you say that has never happened to you then I say BS to your claim of running million dollar companies.
It's like I wrote a post, you read a different post, and then replied to my post??

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I hate AM and blame him for losing my team, as captain of the ship. Still, I have seen unpopular people vilified by the press over false accusations. I’ve seen unknown and totally innocent people made infamous by the press and advocacy groups. That, in fact happened to a former colleague who was in Vegas when an immigrant family walked into his office and his front staff turned them away since the doctor wasn’t in. Their little girl later died of a ruptured appendix and the doctor was pilloried in the press and by advocacy groups for refusing to care for an illegal immigrant.

The accusations against Meruelo cannot be taken seriously until proof is submitted to the public.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
@Jakey53 It does seem like you care a whole lot.

It's okay, Jakey. Its not your fault the Coyotes left town.

I do feel like the NHL let this market down time and again, but the Arizona market is very good and valuable.

The NHL will return to Arizona before too long, and under new management. The old ownership has worn out its welcome.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Your source is “I seent it!” ? :)
It's kind of funny you sneering at someone's source. Less than one month ago, you wrote:
  • Apr 5, 2024
    There is a 100% chance they will play next season at Mullett.

They will NOT play next season in SLC. There isn’t even the remotest of chances that could possibly happen.

Attachments

• 1714840895603.gif
    1714840895603.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 5

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
. . . I would like someone like Craig Morgan ( or whomever) to do an hour interview with AM and find out the truth… maybe not today . . .
I don't think Craig Morgan has the power to compel witnesses, nor to impose sanctions if they don't tell the truth.

An interview with AM would not likely cast much light on anything.

The NHL will come back with or without him . . . and more than likely without.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Mosby

Clean Hits Hockey
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
cleanhits.substack.com
Maybe if you start following other teams more closely you will hear "stories." Have you heard about Isbia and the class action suit against him, or how about Bidwell getting fined by the NHL for some illegal conduct, or Kendricks of the Diamondback fighting with the state over repairs and threatening to move. And that is only here in Arizona. What about the KC Chiefs and Royals threatening to move if they don't get a new stadium? What about in your neck of the woods in Calgary. Has it all been peaches and cream with the Flames ownership?

I am talking about the NHL. I disagree with how much the Flames are getting from the government for their new arena but at least it’s PPP and everything is above board. There is nothing shady about what the Flames are doing.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It's kind of funny you sneering at someone's source. Less than one month ago, you wrote:
  • Apr 5, 2024

They will NOT play next season in SLC. There isn’t even the remotest of chances that could possibly happen.
Is it June 28th or did all sides renege on waiting for the auction? Most importantly, Alex Meruelo Sr.

Similarly, if Smith himself decides he no longer wants to renovate the Delta, it won’t get renovated.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
  • Apr 5, 2024

With all due respect it was still thought at that point the league would ride it out until the 6/27 auction.

And if Meruelo wins that auction then what?

Now Meruelo would have all the leverage. And the league would either have to ride out the possibility of having playoff games at Mullett or deal with a massive lawsuit.

Neither of which was ideal.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
RS wanted to build a new arena elsewhere… the State asked him to re renovate the Delta and keep it downtown.. RS was unsure it was possible.. but experts have laid out plans that show it can be done.

They only need 5000 more unobstructed seats.. I thought I had heard it involved swapping or removing some suites in place of normal seating.. I don’t know enough about the arena, but everyone that looked at it seemed to think it was doable.
That’s how I recall it being talked about. That the solution was going to be asymmetrical. Blow out the ends. More boxes on one side than the other. Keep the steep NBA style seating on the sides, more packed in on one end to increase hockey capacity on one end, more boxes on the other end. It’s hard to picture. But the NHL saw the plans and the timeline. Three renovation sessions over offseasons to get the hockey capacity up to nhl standards. And they were satisfied. Thus the move.

Now if everyone goes back on everything like they did in Arizona, there will be issues. Just like here. If everyone sticks to the plan, it sounds like it’ll be ok. Who really knows?

With all due respect it was still thought at that point the league would ride it out until the 6/27 auction.
It was thought because everyone involved said that publicly. How many business days from XG’s QA w/PHNX to AM Sr deciding to go down the deactivation path? I feel like it was 3 business days. No wonder XG has made zero public comments since. Seems like they pulled the rug out from under him just as much as they did me. Either that or he was lying to Morgan’s face. Either seems just as likely.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

And if Meruelo wins that auction then what?

Now Meruelo would have all the leverage. And the league would either have to ride out the possibility of having playoff games at Mullett or deal with a massive lawsuit.

Neither of which was ideal.
This will likely be a headline at the draft .. good or bad.. by the time the draft hits the auction will most likely have concluded a few hrs before..

Reactions: Jakey53

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Maybe people should lay off AM for a different reason. All of the NHL owners and all billionaires (with the possible exception of Taylor Swift) are horrible people who screw with people's lives to run up the high score in the video game known as Life. He just isn't as good at it, and he got caught. He was either stupid enough to be gullible or smart enough to clear 500-800 million dollars on his tenure as ownership between tax write-offs and the sales price. Seems pretty savvy to me. Maybe the truth is that professional sports doesn't care about the fans anymore. They do the same shitty things that other billionaires do, like the Walton family or a certain ex-president who was famous for not paying his bills. I try not to get upset about who might own the coyotes because no matter what, they will be bastards.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
@Jakey53 It does seem like you care a whole lot.

It's okay, Jakey. Its not your fault the Coyotes left town.

I do feel like the NHL let this market down time and again, but the Arizona market is very good and valuable.

The NHL will return to Arizona before too long, and under new management. The old ownership has worn out its welcome.
I don't care who owns the team as long as we have a team within five years. If it's it AM I'm on board, if it's Jamieh and his experience running million dollar companies I'm on board.:sarcasm::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am talking about the NHL. I disagree with how much the Flames are getting from the government for their new arena but at least it’s PPP and everything is above board. There is nothing shady about what the Flames are doing.
What about how the Flames management were treating their players? Regardless, these owners are not dumb, and will take whatever they can, just like you and I but on a much smaller scale.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't care who owns the team as long as we have a team within five years. If it's it AM I'm on board, if it's Jamieh and his experience running million dollar companies I'm on board.:sarcasm::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Once again Jamie never said he ran million dollar companies...... but in reality I have. FTR Jakey a million dollar company is a lemonade stand these days!!!

Reactions: Kaizen

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'd put my money on you, me, or @Jamieh before AM on that one.

I run a million-dollar company, too. Most managers do. It is peanuts.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad