Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I've acknowledged your reality several times and never claimed those excuses weren't valid reasons not to attend games.

Consider this reality: A franchise that is and has blatantly struggled with fan attendance will need to improve said attendance if and only if the fan base is interested and serious about keeping that franchise.

What I said in my post was not an excuse, it is the reality of attendance in professional sports.

Now consider this reality: Yotes sold out every home game the past two years, this has been well documented, I enclosed some links / graphs a page or two ago. If you don't believe me, fine look it up yourself.

Anyway, you said the team needs to improve attendance -- in the long term I agree, probably we all do. You get there by first having an NHL sized arena (preferably a centrally located one so your fans can reasonably commute to games during the week, Tempe or Desert Ridge for example would probably work), also it's pretty clear that having a better team would help as well.

Do you have any further questions about reality?

Reactions: Jakey53

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What I said in my post was not an excuse, it is the reality of attendance in professional sports.

Now consider this reality: Yotes sold out every home game the past two years, this has been well documented, I enclosed some links / graphs a page or two ago. If you don't believe me, fine look it up yourself.

Anyway, you said the team needs to improve attendance -- in the long term I agree, probably we all do. You get there by first having an NHL sized arena (preferably a centrally located one so your fans can attend during the week, Tempe or Desert Ridge for example would probably work), also it's pretty clear that having a better team would help as well.

Do you have any further questions about reality?
Sad part is filling a bigger arena still isn't enough for all the grifters we've had as owners. They all needed/wanted a subsidy or project to make money off of. It's never been about the fans.

Reactions: PainForShane

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sad part is filling a bigger arena still isn't enough for all the grifters we've had as owners. They all needed/wanted a subsidy or project to make money off of. It's never been about the fans.

Every single pro sports franchise in this state is getting some sort of public subsidy.

Let's just shut them all down because they couldn't give a shit about the fans either.

Reactions: Jakey53

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Meruelo hasn't done squat for job placement, and the severance package sucks. That's the key information here.

He did more than what is required. He could have let go of everyone instantly when the team was sold.

Real question, if you were a coyotes employee, would you sit around or try to find a job when the sale was announced?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
A fine post rooted in actual reality. :clap:

This reminds me of the uproar over Doan being let go in the manner he was, which is/was not uncommon.

Just because something is common doesn't justify it. Lots of terrible shit happens all the time.

He did more than what is required.

That's a pretty f***ing low bar, especially in Arizona.

Real question, if you were a coyotes employee, would you sit around or try to find a job when the sale was announced?

Real answer: based on the reports of the work environment under Meruelo, I wouldn't be caught dead working there in the first place.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not really raging. You are not saying anything untrue. I was laid off by a company in AZ once upon a time by being told to call an 800 number and listen to a recording on a Friday afternoon. Received $0 severance while the people who bankrupted the company got stay on bonuses to complete the destruction. Illegal? Nope. Did it make people like those people? Nope.

Whether he recognizes it or not AM is failing on the PR front. At the same time, supposedly, he wants to engage in a major project that will require people to want to work with him. Can he treat people like crap legally, yes he can. Can he treat people well and curry favor in a community that does not favor him, yes. Can he afford to give exited staff a real severance package and make people think good thoughts about him also, yes.
Stop with such nonsense. Employees don't have a piano tied to their ass. They can quit anytime and get a job elsewhere. Most employees want to be coddled and expect the moon. They don't have any monetary interest, yet they act like they are "deserved" something they don't deserve.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nobody is taking a side here…

Just mitigating the usual overreaction that is HFBoards.

Right now I don’t care if he wins the auction or not. It’s just the next step.
I agree, but I want him to win the auction. That is the next step to get our team back within five years. Not winning the auction means not getting a team back, like almost forever.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The manner in which a grown man is told he can no longer play a child's games is "terrible shit"? :laugh:
Yeah, treating him like shit was and is terrible. It takes a lot more intelligence and strength to treat people well even when you don't have to than it does to treat other people like shit. So the fact that Meruelo doesn't bother being a semi-decent guy unless he's forced to says a whole lot to me about the caliber of his character.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I believe you've mentioned this twice now and I don't agree. If your statement was correct, wouldn't I be saying that only actual, or true hockey fans attend the games?

It's funny how defensive folks get, not to mention their willingness to shun reality..... not HA HA funny, but odd, a study in psychology, if you will.
Cocksure is also funny in a psychology sort of way.

Reactions: PainForShane

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yeah, treating him like shit was and is terrible. It takes a lot more intelligence and strength to treat people well even when you don't have to than it does to treat other people like shit. So the fact that Meruelo doesn't bother being a semi-decent guy unless he's forced to says a whole lot to me about the caliber of his character.
Yeah, but the norm is not being treated like shit, it's just not going above and beyond for a fan favorite.

Cocksure is also funny in a psychology sort of way.
Now you're getting warmer. :laugh:

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You are a true Scotsman.
Ohhh man, speaking of, I'm here in Germany (city of Bonn) ostensibly to see some Euro 24 games, and there are Scots *everywhere*. And the chant "no Scotland no party" (to the tune of...million man army?) is ringing true.

I now return you to the coyote death watch.

• Haha
Reactions: TheLegend

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
His theory is silly but I don't mind him expressing it.

100% agree. Free speech in most cases is generally good -- certainly in this case, where even if there are insults being thrown, they're more amusing than actually insulting. Anyway I wanted him to know that I personally am laughing at him at least as hard as he's laughing at everyone else's decision to largely not blame the fans for AM's (and the NHL's) previous missteps in this market / team etc. That's what I meant by my post.

But yeah, this is a public message board, you're going to see discussions like this one, not at all a bad thing when taken as a whole. 100% agree with you on that

Reactions: Sinurgy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad