Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Well Ishbia and the Suns need an Arena in the future.
so that makes sense.
And AM could go halfsies with Ishbia, sell him 20% of the team with the option for another 29% when he is allowed to and they can build the place for both teams in the future.
But i doubt that. AM is way to egotistical and proud to make a reasonable move like that.
It would be cool if ASU moved basketball to Mullet and rebuilt the current basketball arena to house hockey and basketball, Then once they get the arena rebuilt, use mullet for any other sport that draws in a smaller crowds or even add more ice sports to ASUs athletic program.

Obviously, the campus is not the best option for pro sports that would benefit from a sports book but it would be attractive to a lot of events.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
To those commenting on severance, Arizona is a right to work state. Companies don't owe you anything(and you shouldn't be owing anything to the company you work for). I'm sorry to say this(and I said this previously), but Coyotes employees should have been looking for a new job once the sale was announced. While I feel for the employees(I don't like to see anyone losing their job), what did they realistically expect when the main driver of their employment is sold and moving to a different state?

I do hope, that AM would assist with placement agencies to help assist the old employees in finding a new position somewhere else. I have no idea if he's done that, but THAT is what I would expect from this whole situation. Not a big severance package.

Meruelo hasn't done squat for job placement, and the severance package sucks. That's the key information here.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The Phoenix area is not a sports town in the sense that every team has to earn attendance. Fans disappear during lean years, highs and lows.

The main lesson here, IMO, is that only one of the four major professional sports leagues failed in Arizona. The one that never got it's shit together.

The NHL can survive in Arizona too if done the way it needs to be done, just like the other three have.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Jesus are you really this dumb?? Offer an incentive, it just might be better than where they ended up. I'm sure the COG would have rathered empty than a lease that actually paid them with a $25 million penalty at the end.

Easy for you to make such a generous offer when it isn’t your money.

Reactions: Desert Ice 11

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Wasn't looking to quibble over what he pocketed. It was significantly more than everyone who lost their jobs.

Who's the one who put his wealth on the line to begin with??

I'm not sure what the rage is over Meruelo not keeping two full front office staffs to operate a single AHL franchise.

For all intended purposes they could have all been let go six weeks ago without a severance package since Arizona allows that.

Now some of you can think I'm being a royal asshole by saying that but that's just the reality of it. My wife's former business shut down permanently at the end of 2022, and most of the people were let go that day, with no warning and a severance package that was half what Meruelo offered. The only people who were kept on were the ones who had the tie up any loose ends, and fortunately my wife was one of them (she handled the payroll and accounts payable).

Bought her an extra two months but like I said.... she was lucky to be in a position that required her to remain there.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

I'm not sure what the rage is over Meruelo not keeping two full front office staffs to operate a single AHL franchise.

For all intended purposes they could have all been let go six weeks ago without a severance package since Arizona allows that.

Now some of you can think I'm being a royal asshole by saying that but that's just the reality of it. My wife's former business shut down permanently at the end of 2022, and most of the people were let go that day, with no warning and a severance package that was half what Meruelo offered. The only people who were kept on were the ones who had the tie up any loose ends, and fortunately my wife was one of them (she handled the payroll and accounts payable).

Bought her an extra two months but like I said.... she was lucky to be in a position that required her to remain there.
Not really raging. You are not saying anything untrue. I was laid off by a company in AZ once upon a time by being told to call an 800 number and listen to a recording on a Friday afternoon. Received $0 severance while the people who bankrupted the company got stay on bonuses to complete the destruction. Illegal? Nope. Did it make people like those people? Nope.

Whether he recognizes it or not AM is failing on the PR front. At the same time, supposedly, he wants to engage in a major project that will require people to want to work with him. Can he treat people like crap legally, yes he can. Can he treat people well and curry favor in a community that does not favor him, yes. Can he afford to give exited staff a real severance package and make people think good thoughts about him also, yes.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not really raging. You are not saying anything untrue. I was laid off by a company in AZ once upon a time by being told to call an 800 number and listen to a recording on a Friday afternoon. Received $0 severance while the people who bankrupted the company got stay on bonuses to complete the destruction. Illegal? Nope. Did it make people like those people? Nope.

Whether he recognizes it or not AM is failing on the PR front. At the same time, supposedly, he wants to engage in a major project that will require people to want to work with him. Can he treat people like crap legally, yes he can. Can he treat people well and curry favor in a community that does not favor him, yes. Can he afford to give exited staff a real severance package and make people think good thoughts about him also, yes.

There is no good way you can ever spin a situation like this positively.

And the AZ Republic doesn’t do it any favors when they’ve historically tacked on every bad thing they’ve ever written about the franchise to what is a bad thing all around for everyone

Nor are mouthpieces like Gambo and Bickley who spent the last two decades slagging the franchise at every turn only to suddenly get all melancholy over the fact they’re no longer here.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
There is no good way you can ever spin a situation like this positively.

And the AZ Republic doesn’t do it any favors when they’ve historically tacked on every bad thing they’ve ever written about the franchise to what is a bad thing all around for everyone

Nor are mouthpieces like Gambo and Bickley who spent the last two decades slagging the franchise at every turn only to suddenly get all melancholy over the fact they’re no longer here.
Maybe you can't spin it positively but it can be spun less negatively. Trouble is, AM is not spinning. He just does his thing and doesn't care how he comes off and that's okay until he wants to work with people who don't want to work with him because of his negative perception.

I think two months severance would've been the point to say, he's still a weasel but he took care of the people. However, benefit of the doubt to him would go like this...A standard severance package is 1 to 4 weeks, the Atlanta Spirit (Thrashers) gave 2 weeks. A competent Coyotes franchise would have a representative on Gambo/Bickley & would have a press release for the Republic with something saying they are terribly sorry for the career disruption to all these fine people and look at us, we care so much we gave the good side of the standard and twice what Atlanta gave. However, this guy hates media and I guess has no XG type to deliver this message anymore (not that XG was any good at it). What it communicates is, he still doesn't get that he is in a PR battle and needs to sell stake holders on why they will want to work with him and once again has failed to do this.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The question isn't if Meruelo CAN do it, it's whether he SHOULD HAVE done it. Jeez, whose pool cue did Meruelo buff to make you guys defend him being a freaking cheapskate?

Seriously.. Meruelo f***ed things up so fast so quickly here that he SHOULD be roasted over the coals, but inexplicably here in the forum of the hockey team he let go to Utah because he played it in a closet while his son used it to sell crappy clothes, he's got people accusing everyone BUT him for what went down.

I. DON'T. GET. IT.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
To convince everyone other than you and your choir boys the reason the Coyotes are gone is because Phoenix isn't a sports town. :laugh:
Oh hell, I'm just pointing out the obvious in hopes that should a team ever return folks might attend, this next go 'round. I realize it's a lost cause though, I've been putting out the warning for over a decade now and all I get is push back. The end result obviously proved my point, but I'll continue because I actually love the game and have an interest in the NHL being here.

For the record, I don't think that one other poster, that accepts reality can be considered a choir.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The question isn't if Meruelo CAN do it, it's whether he SHOULD HAVE done it. Jeez, whose pool cue did Meruelo buff to make you guys defend him being a freaking cheapskate?

Seriously.. Meruelo f***ed things up so fast so quickly here that he SHOULD be roasted over the coals, but inexplicably here in the forum of the hockey team he let go to Utah because he played it in a closet while his son used it to sell crappy clothes, he's got people accusing everyone BUT him for what went down.

I. DON'T. GET. IT.

Nobody is taking a side here…

Just mitigating the usual overreaction that is HFBoards.

Right now I don’t care if he wins the auction or not. It’s just the next step.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

A fine post rooted in actual reality. :clap:

This reminds me of the uproar over Doan being let go in the manner he was, which is/was not uncommon.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Fully expect these guys to show up…

IMG_4389.jpeg

One of them ended up in prison for bank fraud so it tracks….

Reactions: Jakey53

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Oh hell, I'm just pointing out the obvious in hopes that should a team ever return folks might attend, this next go 'round. I realize it's a lost cause though, I've been putting out the warning for over a decade now and all I get is push back. The end result obviously proved my point, but I'll continue because I actually love the game and have an interest in the NHL being here.

For the record, I don't think that one other poster, that accepts reality can be considered a choir.
You are a true Scotsman.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Right now I don’t care if he wins the auction or not. It’s just the next step.
I have mixed feelings, I mean even if we wins he's not exactly shown he has the ability let alone the will to get that arena built but then again if he doesn't win....welp...that's probably it for NHL hockey in AZ for the next 15 years. Sure it probably is either way but once he's out, I think we'll be like Atlanta.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You are a true Scotsman.
I believe you've mentioned this twice now and I don't agree. If your statement was correct, wouldn't I be saying that only actual, or true hockey fans attend the games?

It's funny how defensive folks get, not to mention their willingness to shun reality..... not HA HA funny, but odd, a study in psychology, if you will.

Last edited:

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I believe you've mentioned this twice now and I don't agree. If your statement was correct, wouldn't I be saying that only actual, or true hockey fans attend the games?

It's funny how defensive folks get, not to mention their willingness to shun reality..... not HA HA funny, but odd, a study in psychology, if you will.

Reality is that consistently bad teams don't have as many fans when compared to a hypothetical situation where those bad teams had been consistently good, or even consistently average.

Put a different way, consistently good teams generally have more fans than they would have if they had been bad, I think this is pretty obvious.

Not sure the statements above are anything close to a "willingness to shun reality" but you do you I guess

Reactions: RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Reality is that consistently bad teams don't have as many fans when compared to a hypothetical situation where those bad teams had been consistently good, or even consistently average.

Put a different way, consistently good teams generally have more fans than they would have if they had been bad, I think this is pretty obvious.

Not sure the statements above are anything close to a "willingness to shun reality" but you do you I guess
I've acknowledged your reality several times and never claimed those excuses weren't valid reasons not to attend games.

Consider this reality: A franchise that is and has blatantly struggled with fan attendance will need to improve said attendance if and only if the fan base is interested and serious about keeping that franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad