Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Aren't the Coyotes ending a lease early right now after paying $20 plus million upfront?? That sure doesn't look like a better alternative than negotiating a City friendly deal with Glendale that didn't make them the laughing stock of the League?? And maybe spend some money on tge product while in an arena that has seats to sell might have been a better plan??
This day and age with the cap going up and all, teams need extra income, that is why most new arenas have an entertainment district. The days of only relying on an arena for income have long gone.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This day and age with the cap going up and all, teams need extra income, that is why most new arenas have an entertainment district. The days of only relying on an arena for income have long gone.
My suggestion was short term , not a permanent solution.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Bitching about Roadrunners tickets at Mullett?? Take a look at what Vegas charges for Henderson. And that's for ALL games.

View attachment 881145
I sat in section 16 in January. I would estimate that the arena seats 5,000 or so. It is really small, so they need to charge more. The Admirals beat the Silver Knights 2-0 and 7-0, so they were not a good team.

I remember the price being $30 or so, not $49.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey look, a Meruelo puff piece...not

Arizona Coyotes' billionaire former owner is the cheapest cheapskate of them all​

So, he's supposed to keep paying a staff to do nothing for 5 years because he's a billionaire. Somehow I knew this would be a Laurie Roberts take before clicking on the link.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm certainly not a Meruelo fan, but the author is withholding/overlooking a lot of details in the saga (being convinced to sell by the NHL for example) and holding Meruelo to a higher standard than any other billionaire sports franchise owner to single him out as cheap. Not saying it's right, but it's not out of the norm.

Heavy bias is obvious in this article.

Didn't know Meruelo owned an island.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
So, he's supposed to keep paying a staff to do nothing for 5 years because he's a billionaire. Somehow I knew this would be a Laurie Roberts take before clicking on the link.
No. She said of course he let them go because he doesn't need a hockey staff when there's no hockey team. But he could have paid them a decent severance.

I'm certainly not a Meruelo fan, but the author is withholding/overlooking a lot of details in the saga (being convinced to sell by the NHL for example) and holding Meruelo to a higher standard than any other billionaire sports franchise owner to single him out as cheap. Not saying it's right, but it's not out of the norm.

Heavy bias is obvious in this article.

Didn't know Meruelo owned an island.
Sarver paid every employee $20,000 each when he sold to Ishbia. And Sarver is a giant douche.

To convince everyone other than you and your choir boys the reason the Coyotes are gone is because Phoenix isn't a sports town. :laugh:
It's not a sports town.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018

I mean, there's no way in hell, right? Right?!
Well Ishbia and the Suns need an Arena in the future.
so that makes sense.
And AM could go halfsies with Ishbia, sell him 20% of the team with the option for another 29% when he is allowed to and they can build the place for both teams in the future.
But i doubt that. AM is way to egotistical and proud to make a reasonable move like that.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
To those commenting on severance, Arizona is a right to work state. Companies don't owe you anything(and you shouldn't be owing anything to the company you work for). I'm sorry to say this(and I said this previously), but Coyotes employees should have been looking for a new job once the sale was announced. While I feel for the employees(I don't like to see anyone losing their job), what did they realistically expect when the main driver of their employment is sold and moving to a different state?

I do hope, that AM would assist with placement agencies to help assist the old employees in finding a new position somewhere else. I have no idea if he's done that, but THAT is what I would expect from this whole situation. Not a big severance package.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Sarver paid every employee $20,000 each when he sold to Ishbia. And Sarver is a giant douche.

I'd like to read about this. Can't find any info. on it though, where did you hear it?

Severance packages are typically based on length of time with the company, salary, position, and performance. A common calculation is one to two weeks of pay for each year of service. It seems odd (special maybe) that "every employee" would get a cookie cutter $20,000 severance. Would just like to see the details. Was the $20,000 actually a severance or something else in the Suns case? Did Sarver actually lay people off right before Ishbia took over?

There's got to be more details to both scenarios that we aren't hearing.

Edit: I just saw it. Sarver gave a $20,000 bonus to every full time employee that had bee employed by the Suns/Mercury for at least one year. A total of $6M in bonuses, so 300 of the employees got it. Good for him!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad