Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You're so deep in your feelings as it persists to having a local NHL team in your life. I mean no offense by saying that, the Coyotes are a huge reason I moved to Phoenix in the first place 15+ years ago..

I'm with you, I've actually considered jobs in Vegas to have one again. lol But lets not be in denial here.
I'd say the team pulling up stakes and leaving is akin to the sky falling, as far as this forum and the subject matter herein is concerned. Of course I want a team here, but that is beside the point and (again) has nothing to do with my initial comment.

Reactions: Desert Ice 11

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Remember when certain poster(s) were convinced Ryan Smyth would have this all wrapped up neat and tidy for next season? Well Utah is going to be the UHC next season, and have just revealed their jerseys (which I actually don't hate but would have really liked something darker for one of those). Now we're also hearing that employees are being laid off and not moved to Utah, and Meruelo can't even pay them a proper severance (doesn't matter if other companies/orgs do the same, it's still an incredibly shit severance package from a billionaire).

Wonder what additional news we'll find out was wrong?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Remember when certain poster(s) were convinced Ryan Smyth would have this all wrapped up neat and tidy for next season? Well Utah is going to be the UHC next season, and have just revealed their jerseys (which I actually don't hate but would have really liked something darker for one of those). Now we're also hearing that employees are being laid off and not moved to Utah, and Meruelo can't even pay them a proper severance (doesn't matter if other companies/orgs do the same, it's still an incredibly shit severance package from a billionaire).

It is a poor severance, particularly when you consider how little they actually get paid, the unwritten logic being that part of the pay is being around the team.

I believe the employees going to Utah part is actually up to SEG though, no?

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If AM doesn't win the auction I'm not sure how much I will watch Utah, or the NHL knowing we won't have a team here for years. I'm a hockey fan, but it doesn't consume my life like some others, especially at my age.:laugh:
I think all the years of BS surrounding the Coyote's had a bit to do with it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Life is too short.
Actually a pretty good post Jakey, different strokes for different folks and all, but man, this sure feels like losing...... and I HATE to lose.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ

It is wrapped up neat and tidy. There's no sense in rushing a team name/logo when you can do it this way, get fans engaged, give them time to get invested in the team, then do a big reveal down the road. Since the NHL let the King Clown and Clown Prince keep the Coyotes name, I'd say this is exactly how you should do it.

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
It is wrapped up neat and tidy. There's no sense in rushing a team name/logo when you can do it this way, get fans engaged, give them time to get invested in the team, then do a big reveal down the road. Since the NHL let the King Clown and Clown Prince keep the Coyotes name, I'd say this is exactly how you should do it.
Yeah. Totally works. Just ask NFL washington. Haha.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It is a poor severance, particularly when you consider how little they actually get paid, the unwritten logic being that part of the pay is being around the team.

I believe the employees going to Utah part is actually up to SEG though, no?
Yeah, it was, which also just shows Smith isn't the savior people think he is. Can't really blame him for not wanting to move everyone, but it would have been a nice and classy thing to do. Wonder if the hockey fans in the families of staff will follow the team to Utah? I doubt they'll be sticking it out for Meruelo, at the very least.

The deal for the Coyotes is wrapped up neat and tidy. Hockey operations in Utah, far from it.

And while it's certainly possible this will work out and not impact things, it's still a joke that there's a team without a name going to be playing for at least a year, just as much as it was a joke that the Coyotes played in a 5k seat arena. One of these things was constantly made fun of among calls to relocate the team, and the other will be spun as a positive and a sign that ownership knows what they're doing.

Do you think Smith will sell as many jerseys of players this year without a name or logo? They're going to just put UHC on the sleeves for this year, right? Wonder if those jerseys will be considered collector items or not. Hopefully they come up with a name everyone likes, though from the polling that doesn't seem very possible lol.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
The deal for the Coyotes is wrapped up neat and tidy. Hockey operations in Utah, far from it.

And while it's certainly possible this will work out and not impact things, it's still a joke that there's a team without a name going to be playing for at least a year, just as much as it was a joke that the Coyotes played in a 5k seat arena. One of these things was constantly made fun of among calls to relocate the team, and the other will be spun as a positive and a sign that ownership knows what they're doing.

Do you think Smith will sell as many jerseys of players this year without a name or logo? They're going to just put UHC on the sleeves for this year, right? Wonder if those jerseys will be considered collector items or not. Hopefully they come up with a name everyone likes, though from the polling that doesn't seem very possible lol.
Not having a name for the team is way less embarrassing than playing in a 4600-seat arena and not being able to sell it out. The team without a name will be drawing way more than 4600.

They're keeping the team colors after the rebrand, so I think you'll see plenty of these "inaugural" jerseys get sold. People clung to their Kachina jerseys here long after the Coyotes changed twice.

As far as the name goes, I think Yetis is the clear winner and they're loopy if they don't go with that one.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Not having a name for the team is way less embarrassing than playing in a 4600-seat arena and not being able to sell it out. The team without a name will be drawing way more than 4600.

They're keeping the team colors after the rebrand, so I think you'll see plenty of these "inaugural" jerseys get sold. People clung to their Kachina jerseys here long after the Coyotes changed twice.

As far as the name goes, I think Yetis is the clear winner and they're loopy if they don't go with that one.
I mean this is just false, that arena was routinely sold out.

Personally hate the Yeti and almost all of the other options barring Outlaws and would have much preferred the Blizzard if they wanted to go with a snow theme.

The Kachina games are a bit different since that jersey was a fan favorite and still had the team name and logo on it. Utah doesn't even have a logo for next season.

Not really my point either way. Yes they will make far more money than the Coyotes did I'm sure. They still weren't able to get their shit together for next season, that was my point.

Reactions: PainForShane

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Neither was the NHL obviously. They relocate a franchise after 27 years within two months of the auction? Yeah, not happening.
100%...I'll be surprised if he even wins the auction let alone actually pulls of building that state of art arena they were bragging about. He wants to be one of the big dogs but I think the sad reality is he's not and that tail is going to stay between his legs.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If AM doesn't win the auction I'm not sure how much I will watch Utah, or the NHL knowing we won't have a team here for years. I'm a hockey fan, but it doesn't consume my life like some others, especially at my age.:laugh:
I think all the years of BS surrounding the Coyote's had a bit to do with it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Life is too short.
I'm definitely never watching Utah. Screw that. I'm totally with you on everything that happened with the team sucking the joy out of it. Years of being shit on by the NHL and all the owners, decades of relocation drama, all the horrible teams and then Covid, I feel like they consistently pushed me away as a fan. But of all the things that happened, the worst was definitely waiting until they finally were building something that looked like it was going to work and not just a lightning in a bottle single season. They are set up to be adding high end talent for several years to come. That's when they move and that's why I wouldn't piss on Meruelo if he was on fire.

Reactions: JasonDemersWasOkay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm definitely never watching Utah. Screw that. I'm totally with you on everything that happened with the team sucking the joy out of it. Years of being shit on by the NHL and all the owners, decades of relocation drama, all the horrible teams and then Covid, I feel like they consistently pushed me away as a fan. But of all the things that happened, the worst was definitely waiting until they finally were building something that looked like it was going to work and not just a lightning in a bottle single season. They are set up to be adding high end talent for several years to come. That's when they move and that's why I wouldn't piss on Meruelo if he was on fire.
I agree, but I don't blame AM, at all. He came into a tough spot and did everything right and the organization as a whole was moving in the right direction. Then TED happened. Sure you can blame AM for that, but the NHL knew it could fail because of previous outcomes in other cities. IF TED had succeeded I would venture to guess you and others would be praising AM and the organization. I think the NHL started to realize that the Coyote's could very well be a playoff team as early as next year and did not in no circumstances want a NHL playoff game at the Mullet. There is a long list of people to blame over the years but AM would be at the bottom of my list.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I agree, but I don't blame AM, at all. He came into a tough spot and did everything right and the organization as a whole was moving in the right direction. Then TED happened. Sure you can blame AM for that, but the NHL knew it could fail because of previous outcomes in other cities. IF TED had succeeded I would venture to guess you and others would be praising AM and the organization. I think the NHL started to realize that the Coyote's could very well be a playoff team as early as next year and did not in no circumstances want a NHL playoff game at the Mullet. There is a long list of people to blame over the years but AM would be at the bottom of my list.

LOL. Did everything right? Oh, boy.

Playoffs next year? They finished 22 points out of the last wild card.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
LOL. Did everything right? Oh, boy.

Playoffs next year? They finished 22 points out of the last wild card.
I'm calling they will make the playoffs if we just get a 'medium' upgrade on the defense.

Offense is fine and will get better, PP was better and will get better with Guenther and Doan and all they need is to upgrade the defense...which given the players in FA, they should be able to do via FA and/or trades.

Guenther will flirt with 40 goals, Keller will flirt again w/single season scoring record, all they need is to keep Durzi/Moser and everyone else gets an upgrade.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm calling they will make the playoffs if we just get a 'medium' upgrade on the defense.

Offense is fine and will get better, PP was better and will get better with Guenther and Doan and all they need is to upgrade the defense...which given the players in FA, they should be able to do via FA and/or trades.

Guenther will flirt with 40 goals, Keller will flirt again w/single season scoring record, all they need is to keep Durzi/Moser and everyone else gets an upgrade.
Like I give a f***.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018

Sorry but what do you mean “we”

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Then TED happened. Sure you can blame AM for that
That's a pretty big "that". And you can also blame him for f***ing with everyone by releasing that amazing looking arena plan, all the talk about winning the bid, etc. etc. all while planning a sale to Utah in secret. He used an already beaten and beleaguered fan base as a negotiating tactic.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You lost me with "I don't blame AM, at all." There's ONE person who couldn't keep the team playing in Glendale until he had a new arena built. That's the ONLY reason the team is gone. Bettman said it in the damn press conference. He paid what was it, $25 plus mil to get the ASU arena up to NHL standards and had to commit to x amount of years. You're telling me he couldn't have thrown Glendale $25 mil to entice them to sign a short term deal? Horse shit. Meruelo's arrogance is the only reason the team is gone. f*** that guy and his son. May they choke on that billion they made from their grift.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix

Who in the West will fall out of the playoffs so Utah can grab a wildcard?

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
No, it wasn't. First season in there, sure. This past season? Rarely.

Sorry, you are 100% wrong on this. Not sure whether you are making up this 'fact' and / or where you heard this from but it is not true.

You can and probably should have googled this yourself. You will find:
NHL 2023-24 team attendance at hockeydb.com

and through March (when every home game sold out): NHL Attendance Report 2023-24 - Sound Of Hockey

Anyway any actual source you find will clearly show AZ sold out every home game last year
(and also the year before, meaning Yotes sold out every home game in the tiny arena even with tripled ticket prices). Not sure why you or anyone else is arguing this.

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 5.53.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 6.04.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 5.39.59 AM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad