Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Couldn't tell ya if this has any impact on Meruelo's plans or not.

I mean, yeah, it is gonna bogart most of the non-ASU event dates from the availability pool right in the middle of the Roadrunners' season.

I'd bet $50 he didn't ever know this was in the works

I won't take that bet, but I'll bet another $50 that his Tempe plans for the 'Runners were kiboshed well before this announcement by the AHL BoG and he just hasn't gotten around to telling anyone because he's one of the most disorganized billionaires in existence.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No, according to Sen. Jake Hoffman, lawmakers are upset that only the city of Phoenix will benefit and not other developing areas.

"A spokesperson for Arizona Senate Republicans said Hoffman is working on a new version of his amendment.

“Theme park districts have the potential to create robust economic development for Maricopa County communities; however, under the current rules, the system is rigged to benefit the City of Phoenix alone,”"

Arizona lawmaker proposes changes to laws on special taxing district Coyotes hope to tap

Which makes sense because the law was originally created for the Diamondbacks.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Absolutely hilarious that Mullett was bogarted right from Meruelo's grasp by the Suns/Player 15 G-League Org. lol

This wasn't a surprise.

Craig Morgan had been mentioning this for weeks.

Meruelo can still have up to five games within the Phoenix area without any changes to the lease agreement with Tucson.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
No, according to Sen. Jake Hoffman, lawmakers are upset that only the city of Phoenix will benefit and not other developing areas.

"A spokesperson for Arizona Senate Republicans said Hoffman is working on a new version of his amendment.

“Theme park districts have the potential to create robust economic development for Maricopa County communities; however, under the current rules, the system is rigged to benefit the City of Phoenix alone,”"

Arizona lawmaker proposes changes to laws on special taxing district Coyotes hope to tap
That article wasn't worth the moment it took to read. Title should read: Falsehoods to garner votes. There is no tax advantage to Phx., if someone wants to claim other advantages, fair enough.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Sun's last G-league team played in Prescott. G-leagues don't draw all that much.
Just seeing that the Suns chose one venue over the other in a bigger city. I wouldn't even think Prescott would be a big draw for any sport but in Phoenix, the draw should be bigger. They could have played on the same court as the ASU team (Desert Financial Arena) but instead picked Mullet. They could have played at Desert Diamond but, the Suns picked Mullet.

Looks to me they picked Mullet over Desert Diamond, I can imagine its for the same reasons Coyotes wanted to be in the east valley and not deal with Glendale.

That article wasn't worth the moment it took to read. Title should read: Falsehoods to garner votes.
Politicians politicking.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just seeing that the Suns chose one venue over the other in a bigger city. I wouldn't even think Prescott would be a big draw for any sport but in Phoenix, the draw should be bigger. They could have played on the same court as the ASU team (Desert Financial Arena) but instead picked Mullet. They could have played at Desert Diamond but, the Suns picked Mullet.

Looks to me they picked Mullet over Desert Diamond, I can imagine its for the same reasons Coyotes wanted to be in the east valley and not deal with Glendale.

You're overlooking the question in why would the Suns want to support an arena that directly competes with them for business??

Politicians politicking.

"It's the American way"

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I won't take that bet, but I'll bet another $50 that his Tempe plans for the 'Runners were kiboshed well before this announcement by the AHL BoG and he just hasn't gotten around to telling anyone because he's one of the most disorganized billionaires in existence.

It sounds like ASU, Tucson, and the AHL first heard about AM's plans at the same time we all did. Won't be surprised at all if it never materializes since all we've gotten out of Meruelo is hot air so far.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've heard through the grapevine that there's a ton of tension and hurt feelings between ASU OVG and the NHL over a few issues surrounding the NHL pulling out, petty stuff that's pissing off ASU and OVG. I doubt very much they have any appetite for an affiliated league right now and by extension Meurelo.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I've heard through the grapevine that there's a ton of tension and hurt feelings between ASU OVG and the NHL over a few issues surrounding the NHL pulling out, petty stuff that's pissing off ASU and OVG. I doubt very much they have any appetite for an affiliated league right now and by extension Meurelo.

Would imagine not waiting for the land auction to pull the trigger on a move played a part.

That and the notion the league didn’t want to have playoff games played there next season because of its size would seem like a major slap in the face.

Then again you look at how the league thought Glendale was a great arena until it suddenly wasn’t.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Would ASU have any grounds for a lawsuit? Gotta imagine they would want to go after the money they lost if they could.

Seriously, pulling the plug on us so close to the auction was a dick move. But I guess that's what happens when billionaires throw temper tantrums.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Politicians politicking.

G league isn't even minor league basketball. Barely anyone that's in the g league is going to sniff the NBA. Made sense to have it up in prescott. Sundogs did fairly well there for a while roo.

Would ASU have any grounds for a lawsuit? Gotta imagine they would want to go after the money they lost if they could.

Seriously, pulling the plug on us so close to the auction was a dick move. But I guess that's what happens when billionaires throw temper tantrums.

I thought they were paid up front?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
My old stomping grounds. You will like Edmonton, and now you will see first hand how the city is so involved with hockey. It really will open your eyes. There should be a couple of good restaurants right around the mall and a couple of good one's in the mall. Make sure you try a steak.
A lot more makes sense now that I know you consider Edmonton your old stomping grounds :laugh:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Decided to peek at the Land Trust site tonight.....

There's a new listing for a 54 acre parcel (NW corner of 56th St and Loop 101) that's just 2 miles west of the site Meruelo is bidding on.

Bidding starts on it at 1/10 the price of Meruelo's parcel ($6.6 mllion).

Auction is scheduled the day before Meruelo's..... 6/26.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

There's a new listing for a 54 acre parcel (NW corner of 56th St and Loop 101) that's just 2 miles west of the site Meruelo is bidding on.

Wonder if it’s zoned right??

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Interesting, I think that parcel is right across the street from where I originally thought AM may be bidding. I believe that parcel was sold once prior???

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If the 54 acre auction was after Meruelo's auction, he could have a solid back-up plan.

If he tried to get the 54 acres first (just in case) by over-paying in a competitive auction, then he'd have disgruntled competition the next day for the 100 acre auction (and a lot less money in his pocket).

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Would imagine not waiting for the land auction to pull the trigger on a move played a part.

That and the notion the league didn’t want to have playoff games played there next season because of its size would seem like a major slap in the face.

Then again you look at how the league thought Glendale was a great arena until it suddenly wasn’t.
Stories, pros, cons and opinions all change to fit the narrative at the time. Follow the money. That's the only way to the truth.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Decided to go pokin' around the azleg.gov site to see what I could find on this theme park district bill HB2274.

Found the tab where the lists people for or against submitted statements and if you ignore the entries prior to April (before the strike everything action by the Senate) you can see a familiar list of groups.

Also read the text of the bill and it does things a little different than what I originally thought.

IF it passes..... Meruelo can get the theme park designation from the county and without any support of the city. But....... if the city participates they are entitled to have a representative from the city "governing body" on the board. Otherwise the county gets two positions.

Board would look like this:

1 - City governing body rep. (if not participating the county gets this seat too)
1 - County governing body rep.
1 - Resident of Mohave, Coconino, Navajo, Yavapai, or Apache County (selected by the AZ House Speaker)
1 - Resident of Maricopa County (selected by the AZ Senate President).

Last edited:

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Boys, the problem is that Phoenix will not receive any taxes from the district whatsoever. No property tax, no sales tax, the only benefactor will be the Meruelo group. It's true that Am's efforts will bring additional development sooner, that will be taxed, but the optics are not good.
Sorry I am just catching up but can you elaborate on this? I was under the impression, there would still be revenue generated from the sales tax (sales tax comprising of state and city rates) in the district which would benefit the city? And then obviously you have the land developed around there and the infrastructure for the utilities which makes it easier for the other surrounding land to get utilities? All of this also goes to increasing the values of the surrounding land plots raising the appraisal prices of the land for the auction?

I am just trying to understand how this entertainment district works exactly without all the legalese and political verbiage.

Ad

Ad

Ad