Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For AM he may not be perfect but I feel that anything to go wrong with this franchise will be amplified 100x just because that is what has been going on the past 25 years. The last ownership groups have been a lot worse and have made things worse. I know there has been praise for Barroway but he is the one with felony strangulation charges. What's worse, felony strangulation or trying to kid your kid involved in the family business?

I am not defending AM but trying to look at things objectively rather than take something a news article reported with no other context. For example referencing "people" around the league without even listing a title. The league equipment staff?
I don’t see the point in trying to figure out which is the least bad colon polyp. Just go ahead and cut them all out, please and thanks.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The hotel bills only got paid because the league intervened alongside the hotel consortium and demanded certified cheques.
Need a source on that because everything I can find is that they don't mention that detail and don't actually list AM by name. They say the Coyotes over the past 28 years, so unless you have something beyond a light google search over 3 similar articles looking for details, I'd say this is something made up.

Bills still got paid, just like charges got dropped after legal council intervened.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Need a source on that because everything I can find is that they don't mention that detail and don't actually list AM by name. They say the Coyotes over the past 28 years, so unless you have something beyond a light google search over 3 similar articles looking for details, I'd say this is something made up.

Bills still got paid, just like charges got dropped after legal council intervened.

The team's creative accounting was a constant source of concern around the league. There were incidents over the years of the Coyotes skimping on money. The Coyotes would try to stay at lesser hotels than the collective bargaining agreement stipulates. Ownership tried cutting corners when they could, like removing the printer and copying machine from the coaches' room.

Multiple sources told ESPN that the Coyotes were either late paying their hotel bills or sometimes just crossed out the total and paid a different amount. Other sources indicated local businesses would come to the team seeking payments, would be offered a fraction of what was owed and then would be negotiated down to take less than what was actually owed.

Staying at a 3-star hotel instead of a 5-star hotel to save a couple thousand bucks is just being a cheapskate. May as well stay at the 5-star place if you're just gonna skip the bill or pay only part of it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The hotel bills only got paid because the league intervened alongside the hotel consortium and demanded certified cheques.
Do you have a link? That's what I thought. Nash is the only person I have heard who traveled with the team that said the Coyote organization treated him well, stayed at nice hotels and the plane was first class and that he had no complaints. That's from the horses mouth. Also, didn't AM make his plane available to Keller and others for the all star game and BA and staff for the draft? Didn't BA say more than once AM gave him whatever he asked for to run the team like a NHL team. That is first hand, not some friend of a friend BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ask yourself this: would you want to go into business with Alex Meruelo and then have your affairs managed by Alex Jr.?

If you can answer yes to that question OUTSIDE of the context that Meruelo is the only guy currently thinking about bringing an NHL team back to Arizona, then fine.

I wouldn't be caught dead doing business with the Meruelos or, indeed, working for them. And I certainly wouldn't patronize their businesses given how shoddily they ran the Coyotes.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I’m not sure. It goes to the “Fool me once…” principle. I don’t want to go through this twice.
Point being, we've been living this for decades now and I've still enjoyed the hell out of watching the greatest game on earth, played at it's highest level.

And yes, we weren't the best of the best, but we weren't the worst of the best either.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ask yourself this: would you want to go into business with Alex Meruelo and then have your affairs managed by Alex Jr.?

If you can answer yes to that question OUTSIDE of the context that Meruelo is the only guy currently thinking about bringing an NHL team back to Arizona, then fine.

I wouldn't be caught dead doing business with the Meruelos or, indeed, working for them. And I certainly wouldn't patronize their businesses given how shoddily they ran the Coyotes.
How can you come to that conclusion not having met them personally?

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

Staying at a 3-star hotel instead of a 5-star hotel to save a couple thousand bucks is just being a cheapskate. May as well stay at the 5-star place if you're just gonna skip the bill or pay only part of it.
If negotiating a better deal makes someone a scum bag than I am one for offering less than sticker price at every place open to negotiations. Sounds like sour business people for having to negotiate fair prices.

Still not sure why you are hanging onto this but willing to let go of someone being charged with a violent crime. Bills were paid, says so in the article you provided that was sourced through someone said and I heard someone say sources.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Do you have a link? That's what I thought. Nash is the only person I have heard who traveled with the team that said the Coyote organization treated him well, stayed at nice hotels and the plane was first class and that he had no complaints. That's from the horses mouth. Also, didn't AM make his plane available to Keller and others for the all star game and BA and staff for the draft? Didn't BA say more than once AM gave him whatever he asked for to run the team like a NHL team. That is first hand, not some friend of a friend BS.

If negotiating a better deal makes someone a scum bag than I am one for offering less than sticker price at every place open to negotiations. Sounds like sour business people for having to negotiate fair prices.

This isn't buying a house or a car. You don't get to haggle over the price of hotels and pizza.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

This isn't buying a house or a car. You don't get to haggle over the price of hotels and pizza.

Of course you can, what do you think travel sites do? Every time you ask about upgrade or discount is a form of negotiation. You may not have the buying power to get as good deals as a pro-hockey team but that is one thing you should learn in life is that there is a negotiation in every transaction.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

All I know is that Bettman said the Coyote's are current and always have been. Again, what you are linking is hearsay.

Of course you can, what do you think travel sites do? Every time you ask about upgrade or discount is a form of negotiation. You may not have the buying power to get as good deals as a pro-hockey team but that is one thing you should learn in life is that there is a negotiation in every transaction.
Tell my wife that. :laugh: Everything is non-negotiable.

Reactions: Desert Ice 11

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
We have no idea what extent AM Jr. involvement in the Coyote's were.

Sure we do. This is from AM Jr's LinkedIn profile.

University of Southern California:
Graduated in 2019 - Bachelor's degree, Business Administration and Management, General

Arizona Coyotes:
October 2019 - Strategic Advisor, Business and Hockey Operations
April 2021 - Chief Brand Officer

"Alex Meruelo Jr. joined the Coyotes organization in August 2019.
He serves as the team's Chief Brand Officer and works closely with Coyotes' President and CEO Xavier Gutierrez, President of Business Operations Pat Murphy, and General Manager Bill Armstrong.

Alex is also the Chairman of the Arizona Coyotes Foundation and is very involved with the team's community and fundraising efforts.

Alex grew up in Newport Beach, CA, and was a student at Mater Dei High School. He attended the University of Southern California, graduating from the Marshall Business School in 2019."

---------------------------------

The guy was given an executive position with a professional sports franchise right out of college as a "Strategic Advisor in Business and Hockey Operations." Imagine being a 20 year NHL veteran and having a 24 year old fresh out of college advising you and being unwilling to listen to anyone with some actual experience.

Last edited:

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Not if it's agreed upon beforehand. Come on man, this isn't booking two weeks in Cancun on Expedia. It's the NHL.
I think you are lost here and maybe getting hung up on little things or trying to compare apples to oranges. Its a business just like expedia, and those businesses can negotiate rates just like anyone can. The difference is buying power, the more you can spend the more leverage you have in a negotiation.

You are very correct that this is not like booking a vacation online. It is the NHL and it is a business just like expedia is. Not sure how much you deal with contracts and negotiations but I tried my best to make it simple.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The simplicity is that AM tries to negotiate a new price after the fact. After the hotel has already been slept in. If you don't like the price, negotiate beforehand. Not after. It's like eating your steak at a restaurant, finishing it, and then telling the server, "It was undercooked. Bring me a new one." Too late you already ate the whole thing.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The simplicity is that AM tries to negotiate a new price after the fact. After the hotel has already been slept in. If you don't like the price, negotiate beforehand. Not after. It's like eating your steak at a restaurant, finishing it, and then telling the server, "It was undercooked. Bring me a new one." Too late you already ate the whole thing.
How do you know its not the other way around? Hotel tried to charge more than the negotiated after he team slept in the hotel? This goes two ways but the fact that it was settled makes it a moot and the fact that you don't give same leniency to AM and you do Barroway and his strangulation charges is odd.

Reactions: Summer Rose

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
How do you know its not the other way around? Hotel tried to charge more than the negotiated after he team slept in the hotel? This goes two ways but the fact that it was settled makes it a moot and the fact that you don't give same leniency to AM and you do Barroway and his strangulation charges is odd.
I think you know the hotel didn't try to charge more because they had a contract with the NHL, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad