Would you rather...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
This is only going to get worse thanks to a braindead chunk of the population.

yup..on my way to work...Washington Square was packed...again..people were pretty much crowding into the store also..busy busy busy..only going to get worse the nicer it gets

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Lockdowns will not go on for years. Even if they should (which I dont know), they wont. The psychotic morons are already pressuring states into opening. We are going to have to just live with the exorbinant amount of deaths to come. The irony is that the majority of these people call themselves "pro-life." Top notch satire.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lockdowns will not go on for years. Even if they should (which I dont know), they wont. The psychotic morons are already pressuring states into opening. We are going to have to just live with the exorbinant amount of deaths to come. The irony is that the majority of these people call themselves "pro-life." Top notch satire.

I guess basically what will happen is Spanish Flu 2.0...

except it seems to have ~60-80% of the mortality rate as Spanish Flu, partially as we have better medical facilities now and a better understanding of disease, and the fact that quite a lot of countries have already got a handle on it within ~2 months. So instead of 50,000,000 deaths there will be maybe 5,000,000 or so over the next year or so as different places peak and trough. But who knows... I plucked that number from mid-air.

but either way I guess in 18 months the world should be normal-ish again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I guess basically what will happen is Spanish Flu 2.0...

except it seems to have ~60-80% of the mortality rate as Spanish Flu, partially as we have better medical facilities now and a better understanding of disease, and the fact that quite a lot of countries have already got a handle on it within ~2 months. So instead of 50,000,000 deaths there will be maybe 5,000,000 or so over the next year or so as different places peak and trough. But who knows... I plucked that number from mid-air.

but either way I guess in 18 months the world should be normal-ish again.

Even without a vaccine, an effective treatment (still to be developed) that lowered the CFR to 1-2% would allow a return to semi-normalcy, masks and social distancing will still be required because we wouldn't reach herd immunity until 70% or so.

With a CFR of 5%, so IFR of 0.5%?:

320 x 0.70 = 224M
224M x 0.5% = 1.12M dead over 2 years or so. And the health system under continual stress.

If the IFR was 0.1%, this would be reduced to 224K over 2 years, or double the worst flu but not cataclysmic.
(which shows the difference between a chronic, but treatable disease and COVID)

So if we were a functional society we'd embrace what South Korea and Germany have done.
With stronger conditions until an effective treatment is developed, then gradually relaxation until a vaccine is implemented.
We can't shut down forever, but with the idiots running around, we're f---d.

People who don't wear masks don't give a shit about their fellow citizens and should be exiled to a Red State like Oklahoma.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Even without a vaccine, an effective treatment (still to be developed) that lowered the CFR to 1-2% would allow a return to semi-normalcy, masks and social distancing will still be required because we wouldn't reach herd immunity until 70% or so.

With a CFR of 5%, so IFR of 0.5%?:

320 x 0.70 = 224M
224M x 0.5% = 1.12M dead over 2 years or so. And the health system under continual stress.

If the IFR was 0.1%, this would be reduced to 224K over 2 years, or double the worst flu but not cataclysmic.
(which shows the difference between a chronic, but treatable disease and COVID)

So if we were a functional society we'd embrace what South Korea and Germany have done.
With stronger conditions until an effective treatment is developed, then gradually relaxation until a vaccine is implemented.
We can't shut down forever, but with the idiots running around, we're f---d.

People who don't wear masks don't give a shit about their fellow citizens and should be exiled to a Red State like Oklahoma.

Oh, good luck America... seriously. Hope for the best for everyone of course.

I was really being a bit euro-centric with my initial post there.

The UK has probably dealt with it the worst (alongside the Netherlands)... because for the first two weeks when everyone else was doing something who were affected at similar time to us (Germany, Switzerland, Iceland, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Austria, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland etc... all now starting to be able to relax things because have an R rate at like 0.3-0.7 or so) our PM was joking about going and shaking hands with everyone in a hospital out of principal... and in turn we did not put such measures in until a week or two later.

But still, seems UK is "starting" to get it under control now. After 2 months of pretty much no-one being allowed to leave their homes unless shopping or exercising... and 95% of workplaces closed/working from home.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
We had protesters at the State House in NH yesterday. Not wearing masks or practicing social distancing. The day before Sununu laid out a plan for slowly opening things up.
Camp grounds will only allow residents of NH and people who pay a yearly fee to stay at the campground. Half capacity is the limit.
State park parking lots will have every other spot coned off.
Barbers and hair stylists can open may 11. But only allowed one person at a time in the building and you must make a reservation. All workers must wear masks.
Restaurants will open to outside dining only the following Monday. Must maintain 6 feet distance with the tables. No more than 5 people at a table. All staff must wear masks.
There are other things as well but that is what we are doing up here. But I expect that still will not be good enough for the knuckleheads

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
So where did this 6’ of distance come from?
Ive read that coughs travel roughly 20’ and sneezes 25’.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So where did this 6’ of distance come from?
Ive read that coughs travel roughly 20’ and sneezes 25’.

It's a rule of thumb, the heaviest droplets fall out of the air within 6'.
The small aerosol particles can travel further, but they're going to carry a smaller viral load and density declines with distance.

It's also why wearing masks in any place you come into close contact or which is enclosed should be mandatory, because even bad masks cut the volume of exhaled droplets by 30-40%, the better ones by 70-90%.

Infection tends to be a function of viral load, the less virus you're exposed to, the lower the probability of infection (i.e. the body can often handle small viral loads but gets overwhelmed with larger loadings and the infection is more severe, which is why health workers, cashiers, etc., are in special danger).

Reactions: Defect and Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad