Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Dickinson falling to 11 would be my ideal scenario. Still my favorite D in this draft. Think he's left handed Pietrangelo where he's not flashy but is solid everywhere and will be on a top pairing for a decade or more. Dickinson, Muk, Thrun down the left side is what dreams are made of.

Same. Unfortunately, he’s been mocked to the Kraken in most of the mock drafts I’ve seen. Would be such an awesome get though.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Same. Unfortunately, he’s been mocked to the Kraken in most of the mock drafts I’ve seen. Would be such an awesome get though.
I think that if Buium is there, he's going to Seattle no matter what. Utah might make sense for either of Dickinson or Buium, but I don't think Seattle goes Dickinson over Buium. I also have read that Utah loves Sennecke as well and could see them being the sleeper team that gets him earlier than expected (something a lot of prognosticators have hinted could happen).

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
People shouldn’t be so down on Eiserman if that’s the pick. He had more goals than caufield, didn’t have the luxury of playing on a bonkers team with the likes of Hughes, Zegras, and Boldy (Eiserman only had Hagens), he’s 5 inches taller than Caufield(who has 80 goals in 205 NHL games at 23 YO.), as well as being one of the youngest players in the draft.

Eiserman could very realistically be a 40+ goal scorer, especially with Smith/Celebrini/Eklund feeding him.

I’m hoping for Zeev, but wouldn’t be upset with Eiserman.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m trying to think if there’s any real scenario where Buium makes it all the way to 11, and this is the best I could think of:

1: Celebrini
2: Levshunov
3: Yakemchuk; Anaheim really wants a big RD
4: Demidov; Demidov is the BPA who could complement Fantilli well and the Jackets have a good history with Russians
5: Lindstrom
6: Sennecke; Utah took him to dinner and is reported to like him lots, highly skilled forward with size
7: Parekh; Ottawa takes best RD available who would complement Sanderson well
8: Silayev; can’t see Seattle passing on him if he’s there
9: Iginla; they’d have to be really locked on Tij for this to happen but it’s completely possible
10: Dickinson; defensive guy makes more sense than Buium on a team with Hughes/Nemec/Hamilton

There’s a few variations on this that could work (Dickinson/Silayev swap, Parekh/Silayev swap, Iginla goes to Ottawa, Calgary goes D but NJ wants Helenius/MBN, etc.) but it basically functions around Yakemchuk getting taken high, which puts a premium on Parekh as the only great RD left from 4 on, and Sennecke/Catton/Iginla going to a team that on the service really needs D (Utah-Calgary all). It would be a case of Buium being the second BPA on everyone’s list from 6-10.

At the end of the day, I’d be very happy with any of Buium, Parekh, Silayev, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Iginla, Sennecke, or Catton at 11, and we’re guaranteeing our choice of two of those guys. I have them all a tier above the Helenius/Eiserman/Solberg/MBN/Chernyshov tier.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think whats funny is at 14, other than going off the rails completely, nobody would have reacted much with who they picked.

At 11, people are going to go sideways

Agree with that. Unless we somehow get Buium at 11, I'll be second guessing. Too many good options...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think that if Buium is there, he's going to Seattle no matter what. Utah might make sense for either of Dickinson or Buium, but I don't think Seattle goes Dickinson over Buium. I also have read that Utah loves Sennecke as well and could see them being the sleeper team that gets him earlier than expected (something a lot of prognosticators have hinted could happen).
You typically value Dmen over wingers. From Bob McKenzie's scout rankings, he shows only Demidov a C/RW and Iginla at LW as the only wingers in his top 12.

Unless a Winger can become one of the higher end wingers like a Kyle Connor or something, you would take C/D ahead of them.

So, moving up from 14 to 11 gives them a shot at a D or C. Better trade value even if they ended up with a C. Also looks like 3 of the Dmen shoot R which is the more coveted of the 2 sides.

Crankshaft Mechanic

Jun 27, 2024
Corey Pronman made a throw away comment towards the end of the latest Athletic podcast today about the "big 6 D" not being as fixed as some think—with Solberg possibly jumping into the mix ahead of one or two of the "established" 6D.

That scenario seems much more likely to occur behind our pick than ahead of us in the top 10, though.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I've been so in focus on that #11 overall pick that I've totally forgotten to actually enjoy this fact. Thank you!
Obviously #11 and #33 are super important, but it's weird coming into a draft feeling basically no stress. Grier could reach on the rest of the picks with nothing but "wait..WHO?!?" and I'll still be over the moon excited

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Obviously #11 and #33 are super important, but it's weird coming into a draft feeling basically no stress. Grier could reach on the rest of the picks with nothing but "wait..WHO?!?" and I'll still be over the moon excited
I think ultimately the stress about that #11 pick is that it can help the rebuild more than we can imagine. Either as pick itself or as an ammo to trade up. Tomorrow is going to be crazy, and I've waited for so long for the day to come.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Fair warning that I will be shutting this thread down and transitioning to the GDT at some point after/around 8pm Pacific tonight (so like 3 and a half hours from now)

Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware ahead of time so that you don't get into writing a post around that time only to find that it gets cut off by the lock, or that you intend to come back and respond to something later on only to find that you're too late.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Fair warning that I will be shutting this thread down and transitioning to the GDT at some point after/around 8pm Pacific tonight (so like 3 and a half hours from now)

Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware ahead of time so that you don't get into writing a post around that time only to find that it gets cut off by the lock, or that you intend to come back and respond to something later on only to find that you're too late.
Lucky for us, we are all pretty used to that happening because of the refreshes this website does every couple of minutes which deletes what we have typed. Redundancy plans are likely already in place.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Lucky for us, we are all pretty used to that happening because of the refreshes this website does every couple of minutes which deletes what we have typed. Redundancy plans are likely already in place.
I only learned a few weeks ago that if you manually refresh after the automatic refresh then it recovers what was already typed.

This led to a dramatic increase in the amount I post.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What auto refreshes? I never see anything like that except in live threads which aren't complete refreshes as much as they are "there are more posts" things that pop up and you have to click on them.
On the mobile site, it refreshes every couple of minutes which is very annoying. It brings you back to the top of the page so you need to re-locate yourself and it deletes anything you are replying to as well as your reply.

I am as prone to moving to a better-functioning website as to re-type my deleted post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad