Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think you're right and I am doing the emotional work to not be sad in Sphere on Friday. Ojala / inshallah / God willing, Grier goes a different way. Or, that I'm wrong and Eiserman hits and becomes the next Brett Hull.
Dude I’m doing the same. :laugh: I’m emotionally prepared for anything from Eiserman to Jiricek to Beaudoin to Letourneau. I’ll definitely scream when I’m alone but I’ll be super normal in public about it. This is a huge upgrade from when I had a meltdown about the Mueller pick as a 20 year old. Personal growth and all that.

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
I think Dickinson is the best D-Man in the draft so I'd for sure move up with all of our 2nds plus 14 for him. Buium is probably one I would go 33+53 and then Parekh is one that I'd move 42+53.

Moving 14, 33, 42, and 53 is enough to jump up to 6th while still having provided surplus value that is usually needed to move up. If Dickinson is there, I am spamming Utah to get that done. If you take out 42, that is enough to get to 8th overall with Seattle (who probably wants Buium as well).
He's my third favorite outside of the big two but personally not a fan of giving up more than 14 and 33 together plus 85. There are a few sleepers in this draft and others who might drop we got a lot of picks if it turns out to be deep.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Re: Eiserman

I understand some of the concern on here if he’s the pick at #14 but in no way do I think he’d be a terrible selection there or a reach.

Something I read yesterday really resonated with me.

From an Athletic article (Paywall):

Scott Wheeler: I think any conversation about Cole Eiserman has to start with the fact that he’s the best scorer in the draft, and that goals come at a premium. Tij Iginla, Macklin Celebrini, Berkly Catton, Cayden Lindstrom, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard and even Emil Hemming are all guys who can really shoot the puck in this draft. None of them have the goal-scoring arsenal, nor the track record, that Eiserman does. His critics will compare him to NTDP alum Oliver Wahlstrom, who didn’t reach his potential because the rest of his game never got there. Wahlstrom scored 72 goals in 125 games at the program. Eiserman scored 127 in 119 games. I think we’re talking about a different level of finisher. And while I share some of the concerns people have about his B game, and his play selection, and his defensive habits, I’ve also seen him impose himself physically and block shots (he’s also a better skater than Wahlstrom was at the same age).

He has also done it as an August 29 birthday who is just a little over two weeks away from 2025 eligibility. I expect him to continue to score at BU and score a lot of goals in the NHL.”

A few other thoughts:
- The kid has an incredibly gifted shot and just knows how to score. I mean, 127 goals in 119 games in the NTDP is pretty remarkable. I believe he’s currently the all-time leading goal scorer for that program (ahead of Caufield, Matthews, Will Smith, Jack Hughes).
- His dad has recently been battling cancer which is now in remission, which I’m sure took a toll on his development this last year.
- He’s one of the youngest kids in the draft, which means there’s still a lot of room for him to mature both physically and mentally.
- He’s going to a pretty solid developmental program at BU that has a decent track record.
- The friendship between Macklin and Eiserman is well documented but I don’t mind them making Macklin happy. Not to mention I think Macklin’s presence and leadership would bring the best out of Eiserman.

This article from March 22nd was really insightful, too. (Paywall)

At any rate, if Grier sticks to 14 and Levshunov, Buium, Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Catton, Silayev, Parekh, Catton, Iginla, Dickinson, and Yakemchuk are all gone and it comes down to Helenius, Eiserman, MBN, Solberg or Jirecek, I’m fine with them taking a risk on Eiserman there. And I say that as a big time MBN stan.

hotcabbagesoup

Save us Celebrini!
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Dude I’m doing the same. :laugh: I’m emotionally prepared for anything from Eiserman to Jiricek to Beaudoin to Letourneau. I’ll definitely scream when I’m alone but I’ll be super normal in public about it. This is a huge upgrade from when I had a meltdown about the Mueller pick as a 20 year old. Personal growth and all that.
Jux, please give me this tomorrow.

JROC1Te.gif

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Also just a quick heads up that tomorrow evening I will be closing this thread and making a brand new Draft GDT thread for the weekend. So if you have anything important you want to address or wrap up in this one, you've got like 27-28 hours left to do so.

Also there will be individual player discussion/prospect info threads for each selection that will be pre-made and prepped to go for the two draft days, because I want to avoid the familiar crush of like 5 people all scrambling to make an info thread on each new prospect which then means that the mods have to merge and prune the threads and posts after the fact.

During the off-season I will also be cycling out the current prospect thread in favor of a new one that can have some front-end material and be a little more inviting for people to brows through if it's not like 5k+ posts.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Also just a quick heads up that tomorrow evening I will be closing this thread and making a brand new Draft GDT thread for the weekend. So if you have anything important you want to address or wrap up in this one, you've got like 27-28 hours left to do so.

Also there will be individual player discussion/prospect info threads for each selection that will be pre-made and prepped to go for the two draft days, because I want to avoid the familiar crush of like 5 people all scrambling to make an info thread on each new prospect.

During the off-season I will also be cycling out the current prospect thread in favor of a new one that can have some front-end material and be a little more inviting for people to brows through if it's not like 5k+ posts.

I was today years old when I learned Nem gets the Sharks selections in advance so he can pre-make the requisite prospect threads.

:sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And while I know this isn't draft related, if people need something to watch to get them through the next day before the draft, how about a little trip back in time for the Sharks: The team's very first game is on youtube in two parts courtesy of some guy who clearly recorded it on VHS tape from the HNIC broadcast.

unfortunately the first player intervied/shown during the opening is Brian Hayward. f*** him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was today years old when I learned Nem gets the Sharks selections in advance so he can pre-make the requisite prospect threads.

:sarcasm:

Ha ha.

What I will be doing is making generic threads based on the picks we have and then fill them in with the player selected when it happens. It's just faster doing it that way than it is trying to make a brand new thread and paste in all the structure and whatnot. I'll probably make and delete most of the threads except for the next pick, then slowly just un-delete the threads as we approach each pick in order to be ready to get them up and running as quickly as possible.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Far worse guys that could be selected at 14 than Eiserman. I'd say he is in my top 3 or 4 guys (Yak, MBN, and Sennecke but I don't expect the former to be available outside the top 10) I've seen projected at our spot.
Agreed. Dude has an elite shot. Get someone to spend time developing other factors in his game and he could be the steal of the draft

Reactions: Baysick

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Re: Eiserman

I understand some of the concern on here if he’s the pick at #14 but in no way do I think he’d be a terrible selection there or a reach.

Something I read yesterday really resonated with me.

From an Athletic article (Paywall):

Scott Wheeler: I think any conversation about Cole Eiserman has to start with the fact that he’s the best scorer in the draft, and that goals come at a premium. Tij Iginla, Macklin Celebrini, Berkly Catton, Cayden Lindstrom, Michael Brandsegg-Nygard and even Emil Hemming are all guys who can really shoot the puck in this draft. None of them have the goal-scoring arsenal, nor the track record, that Eiserman does. His critics will compare him to NTDP alum Oliver Wahlstrom, who didn’t reach his potential because the rest of his game never got there. Wahlstrom scored 72 goals in 125 games at the program. Eiserman scored 127 in 119 games. I think we’re talking about a different level of finisher. And while I share some of the concerns people have about his B game, and his play selection, and his defensive habits, I’ve also seen him impose himself physically and block shots (he’s also a better skater than Wahlstrom was at the same age).

He has also done it as an August 29 birthday who is just a little over two weeks away from 2025 eligibility. I expect him to continue to score at BU and score a lot of goals in the NHL.”

A few other thoughts:
- The kid has an incredibly gifted shot and just knows how to score. I mean, 127 goals in 119 games in the NTDP is pretty remarkable. I believe he’s currently the all-time leading goal scorer for that program (ahead of Caufield, Matthews, Will Smith, Jack Hughes).
- His dad has recently been battling cancer which is now in remission, which I’m sure took a toll on his development this last year.
- He’s one of the youngest kids in the draft, which means there’s still a lot of room for him to mature both physically and mentally.
- He’s going to a pretty solid developmental program at BU that has a decent track record.
- The friendship between Macklin and Eiserman is well documented but I don’t mind them making Macklin happy. Not to mention I think Macklin’s presence and leadership would bring the best out of Eiserman.

This article from March 22nd was really insightful, too. (Paywall)

At any rate, if Grier sticks to 14 and Levshunov, Buium, Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Catton, Silayev, Parekh, Catton, Iginla, Dickinson, and Yakemchuk are all gone and it comes down to Helenius, Eiserman, MBN, Solberg or Jirecek, I’m fine with them taking a risk on Eiserman there. And I say that as a big time MBN stan.
So weird Wheeler overlooked the referring to himself in the 3rd person thing. If I was. GM, that would warrant “do not draft” status.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think I said before that I don't believe I will be angry with any choice that could be made at 14 except for Trevor Connelly. I might be disappointed if it's Jiricek or whatever but I'll get over it because that 14 pick is more or less found money so I'm willing to let them gamble on it a little bit. Nothing will actually upset me though unless they take the kid with the bajillion personal red flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad