Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The Hockey Writers have Minnesota taking Zeev Buium with #13 pick and Sharks taking Carter Yakemchuk with #14 pick. I don't know how to feel with Buium being so close in that scenario. Carter Yakemchuk is not a bad value at #14 since some scouts have him a lot higher.
If the draft starts going towards Silayev, Buium and Yakemchuk being available in that #12 spot, I can see MG calling up Philly for a trade and run away with Buium. Having Celebrini and Buium as two top prospects would make this rebuild a lot brighter.
If buium goes after the top 5 i will honestly be a little shocked, if he isn't gone top 10 then i have no idea what is happening or what would be available for us at 14.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
I have done quite a bit of watching/reading since the lottery(without knowing anybody not named Macklin before that), I like Dickinson the most of all the dmen🤷‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Hockey Writers have Minnesota taking Zeev Buium with #13 pick and Sharks taking Carter Yakemchuk with #14 pick. I don't know how to feel with Buium being so close in that scenario. Carter Yakemchuk is not a bad value at #14 since some scouts have him a lot higher.
If the draft starts going towards Silayev, Buium and Yakemchuk being available in that #12 spot, I can see MG calling up Philly for a trade and run away with Buium. Having Celebrini and Buium as two top prospects would make this rebuild a lot brighter.
Do you have a link to this mock? I'd like to see how things unfolded for that scenario.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
If Silayev is somehow still on the board at #11 or 12, I’d really hope MG would try to leapfrog some other teams to get him. Muk and Silayev would be twin Russian towers who both play well defensively, skate very well for their size and have lots of offensive production waiting to be unearthed.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Would Cole Hutson be a solid consolation D man at say pick #33, if we decide not to trade up for one of the top d men? OR say we take Brandsegg-Nygard at 14, and Hutson is there in the late 1st rd, would you guys be ok with jumping up from 33 for him?

Last edited:

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Would Cole Hutson be a solid consolation D man at say pick #33, if we decide not to trade up for one of the top d men? OR say we take Brandsegg-Nygard at 14, and Hutson is there in the late 1st rd, would you guys be ok with jumping up from 33 for him?
There are a lot of interesting options that originally graded out late first to second round. Too many options IMHO to move up for Hutson.

RD
Henry Mews 6'0 Ottawa
Charlie Elick 6'3 Brandon
Domink Badinka 6'3 Malmo
EJ Emery 6'3 USDP
Harrison Bruncke 6'3 Kamloops
Ben Danford 6'0 Oshawa
Adam Kleber 6'5 Lincoln

LD
Cole Hutson 5'10 USDP
Leo Shalin Wallenius 6'0 Vaxjo Lakers
Alfons Freij 6'1 Vaxjo Lakers
Matvei Shuravin 6'2 Krasnaya Armiya
Jesse Pulkkinen 6'6 JYP
Daniil Ustinkov 6'1 ZSC
Stian Solberg 6'2 Valerenga
Veeti Vaisanen 6'0 KooKoo
Tomas Galvas 5'10 Liberec
Leon Muggli 6'0 Ev Zug
Will Skahan 6'4 USDP

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There are a lot of interesting options that originally graded out late first to second round. Too many options IMHO to move up for Hutson.

RD
Henry Mews 6'0 Ottawa
Charlie Elick 6'3 Brandon
Domink Badinka 6'3 Malmo
EJ Emery 6'3 USDP
Harrison Bruncke 6'3 Kamloops
Ben Danford 6'0 Oshawa
Adam Kleber 6'5 Lincoln

LD
Cole Hutson 5'10 USDP
Leo Shalin Wallenius 6'0 Vaxjo Lakers
Alfons Freij 6'1 Vaxjo Lakers
Matvei Shuravin 6'2 Krasnaya Armiya
Jesse Pulkkinen 6'6 JYP
Daniil Ustinkov 6'1 ZSC
Stian Solberg 6'2 Valerenga
Veeti Vaisanen 6'0 KooKoo
Tomas Galvas 5'10 Liberec
Leon Muggli 6'0 Ev Zug
Will Skahan 6'4 USDP
I think this is why unless we have a 2-4 spot trade up to get one of the top 5 D (not including Parekh), I think Grier will just let the draft come to him. We might trade roster player or take cap dump to move up a few spots from 33 or 42 but I think there's enough out there in this tier that fits the Grier mould that is not as likely he'll stretch for a Hutson type (but who knows! Could be a very surprising draft day).

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
If Silayev is somehow still on the board at #11 or 12, I’d really hope MG would try to leapfrog some other teams to get him. Muk and Silayev would be twin Russian towers who both play well defensively, skate very well for their size and have lots of offensive production waiting to be unearthed.
I don't see Silayev unearthing a lot of offense this late in the game. If he is a 30-40 point solid shutdown guy I'd be happy with it. Currently projects as a 20-30 point shutdown guy.

Ej Emery is another I'm keeping an eye on for the 33rd pick. Solid shutdown guy

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Depends on who is left. My wishlist for defensemen at 33 is:

Emery
Badinka
Elick
Solberg
Freij
Hutson
Brunicke

It’s possible that Hutson is the highest guy on my list available at 33, so in that case I’d just take him. I wouldn’t move up for Hutson, and maybe not for any of those other guys either except perhaps Emery, who I acknowledge is my pet prospect for this draft.

If none of those defensemen are available at 33, then I’d probably go forward tbh.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Now that we have Celebrini guaranteed, the 14th pick gets so much more interesting.

If Silayev or Buium drop, I really hope MG moves up. I’m not sold enough on Dickenson or Parakh to give up (presumably) MBN or similar and 2nd.

Walking out of the draft with a franchise C and potential 1D would be massive, but also hoping they go BPA at 14 if the D men don’t fall. Worry about having too many forwards later and trade some of them for D men if needed.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I am increasingly excited about the idea of taking MBN at 14. He sounds like a perfect fit next to Will Smith and someone who plays the style of hockey that Mike Grier wants. If none of the top 6 remaining D are available I want us to take MBN and then take D at 33 and 40. Just let the draft come to you and if none of the top D are available at 14 then take the powerforward who can fill the Ryan Leonard role next to Will Smith.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Depends on who is left. My wishlist for defensemen at 33 is:

Emery
Badinka
Elick
Solberg
Freij
Hutson
Brunicke

It’s possible that Hutson is the highest guy on my list available at 33, so in that case I’d just take him. I wouldn’t move up for Hutson, and maybe not for any of those other guys either except perhaps Emery, who I acknowledge is my pet prospect for this draft.

If none of those defensemen are available at 33, then I’d probably go forward tbh.
Spot on, except I'd have Solberg even higher.

I'd move up 10 spots for Emery or Solberg if there was a fair deal.
Could see moving up 5 for Elick or Badinka.
I'd be happy to take one of Freij, Hutson, Brunicke or Shuravin at 33 if available.
One of the latter two could fall to 42 even.

I also like Skahan and the overager Pulkkinen, but they are more late seconds I thinks, not in our range.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I am increasingly excited about the idea of taking MBN at 14. He sounds like a perfect fit next to Will Smith and someone who plays the style of hockey that Mike Grier wants. If none of the top 6 remaining D are available I want us to take MBN and then take D at 33 and 40. Just let the draft come to you and if none of the top D are available at 14 then take the powerforward who can fill the Ryan Leonard role next to Will Smith.
MBN is the good parts of Leonard and not the puck-hog aspect. A little less individual skill, but bigger and more of a team player. Also fits our timeline really well, as I see him doing his one year in the SHL and then coming to NA after. I would be thrilled with him at 14.

Spot on, except I'd have Solberg even higher.

I'd move up 10 spots for Emery or Solberg if there was a fair deal.
Could see moving up 5 for Elick or Badinka.
I'd be happy to take one of Freij, Hutson, Brunicke or Shuravin at 33 if available.
One of the latter two could fall to 42 even.

I also like Skahan and the overager Pulkkinen, but they are more late seconds I thinks, not in our range.
I could definitely be convinced to rank Solberg a lot higher. I wonder if he’s going to be this year’s Willander who becomes a borderline top-10 pick after an excellent international tournament at the very end of the season.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa

I really like Yakemchuk so I wouldn't be too disappointed at this, but I love Zeev a lot as well.

The good thing about this scenario is that it wouldn't cost nearly as much to trade up to 12 to get the player, as opposed to trading up into the top 10 like we so more realistically expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad