All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
I'm on the train back from US Costa Rica,the last send off game before the Paris games start next week. us looked pretty mid. they dominated possession and had dozens of shots on goal but ended up 0-0. Attitudes are not positive at all going into Paris.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

The landscape has changed drastically since then, as Hayes has regularly reminded the world. The Americans are not the favorites at this Olympics, and a group of Zambia, Germany and Australia will challenge them every step of the way. There have been plenty of signs of progress under Hayes, counting her time overseeing the team from afar in the spring alongside interim coach Twila Kilgore. Hayes pointed to the variety of challenges they have faced recently, from Mexico's individual marking to different defensive blocks.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'd be more concerned with the US if they weren't creating chances, which they created plenty of last night. I'm confident that Swanson, Smith and Rodman can find the back of the net soon. But they have Zambia, Germany and Australia in their group, all of which are miles better than Mexico and Costa Rica. So they got to convert their chances when they get them because Banda, Kundananji, Popp and Kerr will score their chances.

Some good news for the US (and unfortunate news if you're German) is that Oberdorf could be out for Germany.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Lots of autonomy being given to the players this time around. Abolishing the draft and universal trade protection is huge. Curious to see how that's going to unfold over the next coming years.
Overall happy for the players, they deserved a better deal.

I think this makes the NWSL the firs league in NA to abolish their draft. Kind of cool

Reactions: Jack Straw

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Happy Trails to Alex Morgan who is pregnant and retiring from soccer

I was genuinely sad when I woke up to this this morning. I knew it was coming one day, but I didn't expect it this year and didn't expect her to not finish out the season.

The contributions that she made to sport either on the field or the off the field is immense. 2 World Cups, 1 Gold Medal, 123 international goals. Helping lead the fight for equality, standing up for teammates Mana Shim and Sinead Farrely to help stop the abuse in the NWSL. Her legacy will felt for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad