AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
One moment tonight unintentionally made me laugh - not even 5 seconds after Allin pours the gasoline on Perry we get Excalibur with this gem: " We can smell that from here - that's gasoline ". How the hell could he smell gasoline from the announcer's table so quickly ???? :huh:

• Haha
Reactions: TD Charlie

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Another killer show. They continue the trend of delivering the goods on the bigger shows

Really establishing the upper-to-top part of their promotion. Helps when viewers know, for the most part, who to expect each week. Stories and character development have been stronger. Finding a better balance between "Sports Entertainment" and their in-ring product.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Really establishing the upper-to-top part of their promotion. Helps when viewers know, for the most part, who to expect each week. Stories and character development have been stronger. Finding a better balance between "Sports Entertainment" and their in-ring product.
Team aew felt a little thrown together, but it all came together really well in the match. There was good focus on getting the acclaimed over again, and with a bit of direction against the Bucks. More development on Swerve v Hangman. They gave JUUUUST enough that I didn’t feel cheated on not getting to see them go at it, but still left plenty of meat on that bone. Not sure when they’ll have a payoff there but it’s building beautifully. Then you got Perry v Darby established…and that chair shot to the head was f***ing gross lol

The match was great. Everybody bumped their ass off, aside from Okada. Seriously did he have to sell anything that whole match? They blended a really good match with several different storylines, and most importantly, it all made sense. For once it wasn’t just an excellent match for the sake of having a match.

Still can’t get over the chair shot.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Still can’t get over the chair shot.

Reports are the chair he used (the one Perry brought to the ring marked Scapegoat) was modified to reduce the impact of the chair-shot. I cringed like most people when it happened but seems like it was done safely if reports are to be believed.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Reports are the chair he used (the one Perry brought to the ring marked Scapegoat) was modified to reduce the impact of the chair-shot. I cringed like most people when it happened but seems like it was done safely if reports are to be believed.
I laughed. Not because i was having a good time. I just laugh sometimes when I’m nervous or uncomfortable.

Did a lot of laughing last night.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It definitely was over padded...but still, head...

It's a steel folding chair with screws and bolts that can be loosened up to reduce the impact of the seat hitting the head. Reports are the seat was hollowed out.

When compared to all the dangerous spots AEW performers have done where guys/gals have landed directly on their head, this was pretty mild if the chair was in fact gimmicked.
I laughed. Not because i was having a good time. I just laugh sometimes when I’m nervous or uncomfortable.

Did a lot of laughing last night.

When Darby Allin went under the ring I thought for sure we were getting another nonsensical high spot going through a pain of glass.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's a steel folding chair with screws and bolts that can be loosened up to reduce the impact of the seat hitting the head. Reports are the seat was hollowed out.

When compared to all the dangerous spots AEW performers have done where guys/gals have landed directly on their head, this was pretty mild if the chair was in fact gimmicked.

When Darby Allin went under the ring I thought for sure we were getting another nonsensical high spot going through a pain of glass.
Actually, Darby going under the ring to pull out a tiny grill lighter was part of my only gripe with the show.

I get they had a ton of shit planned out, and a very specific order of operations. They executed it about as good as they could have overall. But little things like getting the cuffs off Swerve, cutting the cage to get him into the ring, and locating a tiny little lighter under the ring…they gotta make damn sure that those processes are streamlined. When they are such integral parts to the match they have to be guaranteed successes, and there needs to be a backup plan. Dicking around with cuffs while everybody sits in the ring waiting for the next cue is super disruptive to match flow. They did alright last night but it could have been better

I recall a cage spot in aew recently where they f***ed up the key and the lock, and the talent just squeezed out between rungs in the cage. Awful optics.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Actually, Darby going under the ring to pull out a tiny grill lighter was part of my only gripe with the show.

I get they had a ton of shit planned out, and a very specific order of operations. They executed it about as good as they could have overall. But little things like getting the cuffs off Swerve, cutting the cage to get him into the ring, and locating a tiny little lighter under the ring…they gotta make damn sure that those processes are streamlined. When they are such integral parts to the match they have to be guaranteed successes, and there needs to be a backup plan. Dicking around with cuffs while everybody sits in the ring waiting for the next cue is super disruptive to match flow. They did alright last night but it could have been better

I recall a cage spot in aew recently where they f***ed up the key and the lock, and the talent just squeezed out between rungs in the cage. Awful optics.

There were definitely issues with the overall execution of the main event. Camera work can mask some of it but to the live audience it can look foolish.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's

That match you referenced was the Jericho/Eddie barbed wire everywhere deathmatch. It was a complete and utter mess.

Whether it's the explosion botch, that horrid Jericho/Eddie match, or Edge breaking his leg in the barbed wire cage, AEW is cursed with barbed wire themed matches. Maybe they should ditch the idea :laugh:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Meh. Chair shots to the "head" can be fine if you've got guys who know what the f*** they're doing and get their hands up at the right moment... It's to the head completely unprotected that's dumb.

Full disclosure I haven't seen this one yet and ain't criticizing any of the talent. I'm just talking about head shots in general.

Kinda one of those things where you have to prove yourself as a trusted talent. Like, diving headbutts were a no-no for awhile after all Benoit's brain damage came out. Top of my head I've only really seen Danielson and Jacob Fatu do them frequently the last several years, and both are proven excellent workers. Jacob, particularly, seems to be incredible at his ability to make shit look violent while controlling his body and protecting the other guy.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Meh. Chair shots to the "head" can be fine if you've got guys who know what the f*** they're doing and get their hands up at the right moment... It's to the head completely unprotected that's dumb.

Full disclosure I haven't seen this one yet and ain't criticizing any of the talent. I'm just talking about head shots in general.

Kinda one of those things where you have to prove yourself as a trusted talent. Like, diving headbutts were a no-no for awhile after all Benoit's brain damage came out. Top of my head I've only really seen Danielson and Jacob Fatu do them frequently the last several years, and both are proven excellent workers. Jacob, particularly, seems to be incredible at his ability to make shit look violent while controlling his body and protecting the other guy.
It looked and sounded like an attitude era chair to the head. Perry was also handcuffed to the cage, so there’s that

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So they essentially did The Rock/Mankind...

... I don't know if you can make that safe even if you gimmick the chair.

It's a folding chair not a space ship. There are plenty of things they can do to lessen the impact by modifying the chair. Theirs a reason why they marked up the chair so Briscoe knew which one to use and knew how to use it. Hollywood has been gimmicking more dangerous weapons for decades.

Reactions: CDJ

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It's a folding chair not a space ship. There are plenty of things they can do to lessen the impact by modifying the chair. Theirs a reason why they marked up the chair so Briscoe knew which one to use and knew how to use it. Hollywood has been gimmicking more dangerous weapons for decades.
They used to gimmick the trash cans all the time in WWE - There has to be a way to gimmick a chair.

Reactions: CDJ

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Why didnt they spread out All In and All out this year? They're 2 weeks apart. I know last year they were a week apart but I just thought that was because the London show was booked later and that was the available date.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why didnt they spread out All In and All out this year? They're 2 weeks apart. I know last year they were a week apart but I just thought that was because the London show was booked later and that was the available date.
It’s a question we all asked last year. I think the best answer is simply that’s the date they could get Wembley, and they still want a PPV on Labor Day weekend. All Out was scheduled for that again and they moved it.

Reactions: Megahab

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Okada understands the point of the business more than anybody else, probably why he’s really good at what he does. Did the least crazy shit, got the biggest pop with the staple/finger spot. Get paid brother. I respect the hell out of the people that can get that much out of doing very little. MJF is great at it too.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Okada understands the point of the business more than anybody else, probably why he’s really good at what he does. Did the least crazy shit, got the biggest pop with the staple/finger spot. Get paid brother. I respect the hell out of the people that can get that much out of doing very little. MJF is great at it too.

If a magic genie came up to me and said in order for world peace, I'd have to carve out a 10 year wrestling career, I'd definitely study those 2 + the Miz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad