Boxing: All boxing discussion

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Joshua started with a much better gameplan but looked like he couldn’t sustain it as the fight went on. Usyk also started off slow, could be because he was trying to get the read on Joshua. Pretty interesting fight, very calculated from both fighters. Almost the exact opposite of Wilder and Fury.

Seemed like the game plan was to work on Usyk body and hope to finish it off in later rounds. Came close in 9th but Usyk came back with vengeance.

Reactions: eXile3

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I don’t see how anyone could think AJ has a chance with Fury

Fury is as technically sound as Usyk but in a 6’9 270lb body

We NEED an undisputed fight to cement Fury’s legacy as an all-time great HW

Reactions: eXile3

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Usyk's defense is straight up elite. AJ had some success going to the body but Usyk put on a clinic slipping his jabs.

I think Fury would win but if he doesn't fight Usyk he'll never be mentioned as one of the greats. Beating Wilder, great accomplishment. Mad credit to anyone who beats a Klitschko, regardless of age. Those guys always came in tremendous shape and tough as they come.

It's still not enough to say Fury ran the division during his time. He needs to fight #2 and Usyk is easily that guy.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Usyk's defense is straight up elite. AJ had some success going to the body but Usyk put on a clinic slipping his jabs.

I think Fury would win but if he doesn't fight Usyk he'll never be mentioned as one of the greats. Beating Wilder, great accomplishment. Mad credit to anyone who beats a Klitschko, regardless of age. Those guys always came in tremendous shape and tough as they come.

It's still not enough to say Fury ran the division during his time. He needs to fight #2 and Usyk is easily that guy.
Fury is a top 10 HW regardless imo but beating Usyk for all the belts makes it not debatable

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I don’t see how anyone could think AJ has a chance with Fury

Fury is as technically sound as Usyk but in a 6’9 270lb body

We NEED an undisputed fight to cement Fury’s legacy as an all-time great HW
Does anyone outside AJs family actually think that though?

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Fury is a top 10 HW regardless imo but beating Usyk for all the belts makes it not debatable
I disagree. I think he needs to beat Usyk to put him there. He beat Wladimir, but Wlad was also near 40 and turned around to get beat by AJ. His Resume just isn’t up to par with some of the other HW. Really the Wilder fights are his best accomplishments.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I disagree. I think he needs to beat Usyk to put him there. He beat Wladimir, but Wlad was also near 40 and turned around to get beat by AJ. His Resume just isn’t up to par with some of the other HW. Really the Wilder fights are his best accomplishments.
I think that is a fair opinion
One consideration is that there simply hasn’t been anyone for Fury to fight, the heavyweight division has been trash for 15 years almost

Extrapolating from what we’ve see Fury do, I think there’s maybe 5-7 guys all time that give him real trouble, his skill and size combo is just too much

I agree w the Usyk bit though, that has to happen

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I think that is a fair opinion
One consideration is that there simply hasn’t been anyone for Fury to fight, the heavyweight division has been trash for 15 years almost

Extrapolating from what we’ve see Fury do, I think there’s maybe 5-7 guys all time that give him real trouble, his skill and size combo is just too much

I agree w the Usyk bit though, that has to happen
Right, it’s hard to punish Fury just because of the garbage competition.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY

Have to disagree with top 10. Maybe....maybe top 15 and that's just basing it off of him beating Usyk for undisputed. He just doesn't have the resume to be in the elite company. Wilder x 2, an old Wlad Klitschko are his best wins. He's fought B level competition in Chisora x 2 and Whyte. Outside of those 4 guys over 7 fights, the rest of his resume is very, very, very, very, did I say very? Subpar. I will add to the fact, I am a Tyson Fury supporter and I am not "hating" on him.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Have to disagree with top 10. Maybe....maybe top 15 and that's just basing it off of him beating Usyk for undisputed. He just doesn't have the resume to be in the elite company. Wilder x 2, an old Wlad Klitschko are his best wins. He's fought B level competition in Chisora x 2 and Whyte. Outside of those 4 guys over 7 fights, the rest of his resume is very, very, very, very, did I say very? Subpar. I will add to the fact, I am a Tyson Fury supporter and I am not "hating" on him.
See my second post on the matter
I don’t disagree with you though, I just think Fury is a victim of his era

If you transport him to basically any HW era he is a top 2-3 talent easily imo

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
See my second post on the matter
I don’t disagree with you though, I just think Fury is a victim of his era

If you transport him to basically any HW era he is a top 2-3 talent easily imo
I can respect that, 100%. He would definitely be a player in any era. He's got size and skill to give any fighter problems. I enjoy watching him and I enjoy his theatrics, I hope he gives us one more fight. I saw that he tweeted yesterday saying they have till Sept 1st to secure the money for the fight and if not, hes staying retired. If anyone actually believes that, they're crazy. Tyson is just being Tyson and hanging us all by a thread so we buy into the PPV hype LOL.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I can respect that, 100%. He would definitely be a player in any era. He's got size and skill to give any fighter problems. I enjoy watching him and I enjoy his theatrics, I hope he gives us one more fight. I saw that he tweeted yesterday saying they have till Sept 1st to secure the money for the fight and if not, hes staying retired. If anyone actually believes that, they're crazy. Tyson is just being Tyson and hanging us all by a thread so we buy into the PPV hype LOL.
His theatrics but not his fights. Besides his Wilder fights, which were great, he’s had some ugly fights. Wladimir and Whyte come to mind as being awful. Effective, but awful.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
His theatrics but not his fights. Besides his Wilder fights, which were great, he’s had some ugly fights. Wladimir and Whyte come to mind as being awful. Effective, but awful.
The Wlad fight I can agree with, but the Whyte fight was too easy as it was apparent they were not on the same level from the opening bell. Fury is never going to steamroll anyone that is at an elite level, hes going to wear them down with his size and pick his shots accordingly. He's deceptively fast for his size and has better then average footwork. If he fights Usyk, I think he wears him down and stops his late.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I thought GGG got robbed in the first two fights, especially the draw, but this one wasn't even close. Canelo just dominated. I can't believe a few of the judges had it as close as they did.

Sep 19, 2008
Shakur Stevenson did not make weight for his fight tonight (weighed yesterday) so lost both his 130 belts. Very interesting situation because I myself am going through a dietary regimen to lose weight by caloric cutting. I wonder how much you can lose before your body says "You can't lose any more weight" (cutting from 150 to 145)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Boxing now likely out of the Olympics after Russia's Umar Kremlev was re-elected as the International Boxing Association boss. His Dutch challenger van der Vorst was first disqualified for no good reason but later reinstated by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. The Dutch now lost the vote, however. Under Kremlev the IBA has become increasingly dependent on Russian funding and besides strongman leadership tactics has controversially banned Ukraine for government interference. Boxers will likely still be allowed to compete in Paris in 2024 administered directly by the IOC, but this model almost certainly has no future beyond that and boxing will thus not be a part of the Los Angeles Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad