Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Alexei Emelin have been pretty good D for Habs, a top 4 D.

I think you right, Romanov is more skilled, better skating and more mobility. Potential to be a pretty good #3 defenseman if he put 30 points per season, with his two-way and physical ability.
So you basically expect him to be similar to Slava Voynov?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
People aren't going to like this, but Romanov is a very similar prospect to Victor Mete. He's a little bigger, and more physical, but he's quite similar aside from that. Similar upside.

Big Ryan

Mar 27, 2011
Ottawa
Care to elaborate?

Mete and Romanov are polar opposites when it comes to play styles.

Mete attempts to drive the offense while being way too small/weak to effectively defend in his own end of the ice.

Romy is an extremely physical, and pretty reliable defensemen. Plays well in his own end and has a good first pass. Can jump in on the rush time to time.

Romy has thrown more hits in one game than Mete did his entire career. Completely different players.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Mete and Romanov are polar opposites when it comes to play styles.

Mete attempts to drive the offense while being way too small/weak to effectively defend in his own end of the ice.

Romy is an extremely physical, and pretty reliable defensemen. Plays well in his own end and has a good first pass. Can jump in on the rush time to time.

Romy has thrown more hits in one game than Mete did his entire career. Completely different players.
So in other words, Romanov is more physical, and more engaged in the D zone because of it. That's basically what I said.

They are similar in terms of upside. Both mobile, undersized D (Mete much more so) with limited offensive potential, despite being successful offensively in juniors (Mete more so). Romanov has more potential defensively, but not anything special. They had similar rookie seasons with the Habs. We'll see how it goes, but I don't think Romanov is sure fire top-4 D like some here would have you believe.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
So in other words, Romanov is more physical, and more engaged in the D zone because of it. That's basically what I said.

They are similar in terms of upside. Both mobile, undersized D (Mete much more so) with limited offensive potential, despite being successful offensively in juniors (Mete more so). Romanov has more potential defensively, but not anything special. They had similar rookie seasons with the Habs. We'll see how it goes, but I don't think Romanov is sure fire top-4 D like some here would have you believe.

Mete upside is a no 5-6, no powerplay time, just a puck moving 10-15 minutes a game defenseman. PP when team is struggling and barely PK time

He played big minutes at the end of the season when Chabot was injured, yes but that was on a rebuilding team when nothing matttered for Ottawa.

Romanov upside is a no 2, second waves of PP(maybe first) with PK time, 20 minutes a game defenseman

Not similar at all

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
People aren't going to like this, but Romanov is a very similar prospect to Victor Mete. He's a little bigger, and more physical, but he's quite similar aside from that. Similar upside.

whatthef***.gif

...the two are literally NOTHING alike...Mete is a small, physically weak puck-moving water bug who's shot couldn't dent a styrofoam cup and Romanov is a physical, hard hitting two-way defenseman who has a good first pass and can actually retrieve & transition the puck well for a rookie...this might be your worst Hot Take yet...:facepalm:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Care to elaborate?

I think I understand what you are implying. Romanov has the tendency to put his head down and skate at times, but I think that will get better with time. To me the biggest differences are the compete level and the vision. Romanov sees the ice much better than Mete and when he is playing his game makes excellent passes which Mete very rarely does.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
View attachment 460345

...the two are literally NOTHING alike...Mete is a small, physically weak puck-moving water bug who's shot couldn't dent a styrofoam cup and Romanov is a physical, hard hitting two-way defenseman who has a good first pass and can actually retrieve & transition the puck well for a rookie...this might be your worst Hot Take yet...:facepalm:
I said they are similar in terms of upside, not playing style. Although aside from physicality, I don't see how they are that different. To me Romanov looks like he could be a fringe top-4, but more than likely bottom pairing. A more mobile, less physical Emelin is a good comparison, like someone else said. Was Emelin a top-4? Maybe a fringe top-4. I just don't see the offensive upside with Romanov, and he isn't dominant or even particularly strong defensively.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I'm skeptical of Romanov's offensive upside but Romanov is hardly undersized. He's average sized and is strong as an ox. Reach is a thing though but still, he's not undersized.

You can't just say Romanov is Mete with more physicality and then just think it's mic drop time lol. Saying x player is y player without this makes no sense. Mete WITH physicality is a completely different player.

Romanov actually has a decent shot at the very least. I've no problem necessarily tempering expectations of Romanov but comparing him to Mete is pretty slipshod.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm skeptical of Romanov's offensive upside but Romanov is hardly undersized. He's average sized and is strong as an ox. Reach is a thing though but still, he's not undersized.

You can't just say Romanov is Mete with more physicality and then just think it's mic drop time lol. Saying x player is y player without this makes no sense. Mete WITH physicality is a completely different player.

Romanov actually has a decent shot at the very least. I've no problem necessarily tempering expectations of Romanov but comparing him to Mete is pretty slipshod.

McDavid is just Paul Byron with more puck skills :sarcasm:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think it's more realistic to compare Romanov potential to Sergachev potential than Mete potential.

Romanov and Sergachev are different player too, but I think the impact of both will be the same. Romanov is more defensive and more physical.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think it's more realistic to compare Romanov potential to Sergachev potential than Mete potential.

Romanov and Sergachev are different player too, but I think the impact of both will be the same. Romanov is more defensive and more physical.
Rookie seasons:

Mete: 7 p in 49 gp
Segachev: 40 p in 79 gp
Romanov: 6 p in 54 gp

You're right, he is clearly more similar to Sergachev.

Excuse me, I have to go write Songs in the Key of Life.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Rookie seasons:

Romanov play better at defense zone than both in their rookie season and have more hit than both combined.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
What are you babbling about. That isn't a hot take, thats a dumb take. Mete and Rom have very little to compare. For one Rom hits like a truck, something mete physically couldn't do! Its not more physical, Rom hit harder and what seems more often than weber.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IMO Romanov is nothing like Mete except in his fluid skating ability, but I also don’t believe he will be a points generator, which BTW MB has always maintained.

That does not mean, Romanov can’t be a top pairing Dman down the line

Reactions: Gyfu

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
Rookie seasons:

rookie seasons:

Segachev: 40 p in 79 games
Erik Karlson: 26 p in 60 games

You're right, Sergachev is not only similar to Erik Karlson but has a higher upside.

That, as they say, is a good one.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Romanov is more in the mold of Edmundson and Savard than Mete, but Romanov have the mobility of Petry, so he is going to be a good one... maybe not a #1 defenseman, but potential is high and he can be between #2, #3 or #4.

Reactions: Tyson and dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad