Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We know Romanov has the skill... his numbers do not do him justice at all to what he can become.

Question is, does he have the will. Let's see.

No, we really don't know that. He's got a great assist in the first game, when teams look as organized as a fire in a brothel.

Other than that, he seems to have an offensive IQ of an ostrich.

Let's hope it's just inexperience and he has enough processing power to at least be an effective defender.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
No, we really don't know that. He's got a great assist in the first game, when teams look as organized as a fire in a brothel.

Other than that, he seems to have an offensive IQ of an ostrich.

Let's hope it's just inexperience and he has enough processing power to at least be an effective defender.
And that’s a transition play, it has nothing to do with his offensive IQ in the Ozone. I never saw him create play offensively. Dosen’t mean he won’t be good though, he just won’t bring that much offense

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
He is so young, and has done many good things offensively in other leagues.

You guys really need to have some patience, and a bit of belief.

Reactions: Nedved

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
I don’t think he as less offense then Emelin, I think they are comparable in that department but yes way less brain cramps and better in transition

And that's not a bad thing to have against a team like Vegas. If you don't have much speed, the best way to combat speed is with bone crunching hits as long as they don't cost you structurally. He could be a very important piece without providing much offense.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
And that's not a bad thing to have against a team like Vegas. If you don't have much speed, the best way to combat speed is with bone crunching hits as long as they don't cost you structurally. He could be a very important piece without providing much offense.
Don’t think he can have an impact this year, but in the futur his style will be an assets for sure. A guy like Volchenkov was a big part of the Sens success

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Exactly, he's basically Emelin with less offense but less brain cramps.

He's a significantly better skater, not as big, plays with more pace and doesn't play the point the same way and doesn't have less offense.

The comparison doesn't even pop into anyone's head if they both weren't Russian.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He's a significantly better skater, not as big, plays with more pace and doesn't play the point the same way and doesn't have less offense.

The comparison doesn't even pop into anyone's head if they both weren't Russian.
They've been compared numerous times on these boards. You can disagree.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I hope when/if the Habs get eliminated we get to know wtf is up with Romanov. This is brutal as a fan point of view. It has to be about an off the ice issue that we are unaware of because nothing else makes sense.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I hope when/if the Habs get eliminated we get to know wtf is up with Romanov. This is brutal as a fan point of view. It has to be about an off the ice issue that we are unaware of because nothing else makes sense.
Dominic Ducharme explained it pretty clearly if you can read between the lines.

Not an off ice issue.

Reactions: aresknights

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What did he say?
He said he's been erratic. Making mistakes and wandering all over the ice.

He's been doing it for most of the year, not sure why people didn't see it. When it comes to the playoffs you can't have those types of mistakes. I think he'd been fine playing 5-7 minutes a night but I understand why he's sitting.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

He's been doing it for most of the year, not sure why people didn't see it. When it comes to the playoffs you can't have those types of mistakes. I think he'd been fine playing 5-7 minutes a night but I understand why he's sitting.
People were too busy trying to blame Mete or Kulak even though they were the one fixing a lot of his mishaps.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

They don't see it cause he makes the odd highlight hit.
They don't see it cause it doesn't play into the misconceived notion Habs don't play youngings, I mean they rush them to fast, I mean whatever narrative is at play to bash MB n coaches lol.
I like his potential but Habs have done well without him in the POs. In fact most would say better than expected, no? But it's still not enough.
Next year he will hopefully clean up some the positional issues and take a big step forward.
Coaches hate certain controllable mistakes. At every competitive level.
No biggie he is watching, practicing n learning what it takes.
Merrill/Kulak/ Gusto perfect....nope. but is what it is.
Go Habs D whoever is in.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
They don't see it cause he makes the odd highlight hit.
They don't see it cause it doesn't play into the misconceived notion Habs don't play youngings, I mean they rush them to fast, I mean whatever narrative is at play to bash MB n coaches lol.
I like his potential but Habs have done well without him in the POs. In fact most would say better than expected, no? But it's still not enough.
Next year he will hopefully clean up some the positional issues and take a big step forward.
Coaches hate certain controllable mistakes. At every competitive level.
No biggie he is watching, practicing n learning what it takes.
Merrill/Kulak/ Gusto perfect....nope. but is what it is.
Go Habs D whoever is in.
For sure. He's going to be a real solid defenseman for us for a long time.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
hard to say at this point, the Habs may have been better off putting Romanov in Laval to start out so he could be a top pairing D and get steady PP mins for the first time. So we'll see over the next few years how his game progresses or not.

Ylonen really impressed me in the AHL this year, the speed, skating, shot are legit, showed good offensive instincts. Needs to add mass and strength but he will surely get more NHL time. We need to see how much can he continue to progress or not but he's headed in the right direction.

that's a really good idea for Romanov. So bizarre I didn't even consider that option. I heard that he was fine with that too. really hope they do that. I'd keep Gust and Merrill right now on one year deals maybe. give the kid time.

you actually got me really pumped on this idea hahaha. barring him looking WAY improved after this offseason I really hope they send him to Laval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad