Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As for Forslund. Carolina at the beginning of last season suddenly eliminated their legendary radio broadcaster and simulcasted Forslund's tv play by play on the radio.
Chuck Kaiton out as Carolina Hurricanes radio broadcaster ...

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns...
Jul 24, 2018 · After 39 years, Chuck Kaiton was officially out Tuesday as the Carolina Hurricanes’ radio play-by-play announcer after the Hall of Fame broadcaster was unable to agree on a contract.

Now.....

John Forslund will work for NBC, not Carolina Hurricanes ...

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns...
Jul 15, 2020 · Forslund confirmed Wednesday he will be freelancing for NBC, with Hurricanes sideline reporter Mike Maniscalco expected to take over play-by-play duties on Fox Sports Carolinas.

Carolina wont pay him. They are going with the 2 cheap guys.

Rick Peckham is retiring with Tampa Bay. I am guessing Forslund ends up there.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My 2 favorite Ov goal calls are Forslund

I was at that game vs. Philly. Those are great. My fave Ovie goal call might be Gord Miller on the MTL self-pass spin-o-rama chip shot.

Reading between $10-$12 million for Ovi. Woof

$10 million is fair.

Anything over that and we are f***ed.
Y'all are ridiculous. Over the past 3 years, he's won all 3 Richard trophies and a Conn Smythe and captained his team to a Stanley Cup. He's earned every penny.

Last edited:

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I don't care if Ovi asked for $20 million (I know not possible under the cap) you pay him.

I value not seeing Ovi in another jersey at around $2 million anyways, but then again it isn't my money

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
While on Ovechkin contract gossip wasn't his Mom his agent his last contract? That doesn’t strike me as a guy who wants to gauge Ted for every penny in the salary cap.

Does Ovie now have a agent? Or is it just Alex GMBM and Ted talking on zoom?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
While on Ovechkin contract gossip wasn't his Mom his agent his last contract? That doesn’t strike me as a guy who wants to gauge Ted for every penny in the salary cap.

Does Ovie now have a agent? Or is it just Alex GMBM and Ted talking on zoom?

From that same article on RMNB :laugh:

“I wouldn’t call her uncompromising because she did, in fact, compromise,” McPhee said to Sports Illustrated in 2008. “But Alex’s mother is very strong, very protective. And she knows what she wants.”

His mom is the one you have to convince that fielding a competitive team is the best strategy for chasing the record lol

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Ovi at 12M, Backstrom at 9M, really even Carlson at 8M and Oshie at ~6M are retirement contracts. Tbh, the Caps might as well trade guys like Kuz and Orlov, because they're not gonna be competitive for the rest of those guys' prime.

Keep the legends, ok, trade everybody else for picks, have the legends nurture the next wave of young talent. Keep Wilson as the link between generations. I'd watch that team.

Not that the Caps are gonna do that... But I can't say I'm looking forward to the Caps' probable increasingly desperate attempts to stay competitive as the expensive core ages and drags them into mediocrity and then finally falls off a cliff (into deserved happy retirement, to be sure).

Unless CMM, Protas, Fever, Alexeyev, Samsonov all reach the ceiling within the next couple of years.

Reactions: 895

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Ovi at 12M, Backstrom at 9M, really even Carlson at 8M and Oshie at ~6M are retirement contracts. Tbh, the Caps might as well trade guys like Kuz and Orlov, because they're not gonna be competitive for the rest of those guys' prime.

Keep the legends, ok, trade everybody else for picks, have the legends nurture the next wave of young talent. Keep Wilson as the link between generations. I'd watch that team.

Not that the Caps are gonna do that... But I can't say I'm looking forward to the Caps' probable increasingly desperate attempts to stay competitive as the expensive core ages and drags them into mediocrity and then finally falls off a cliff (into deserved happy retirement, to be sure).

Unless CMM, Protas, Fever, Alexeyev, Samsonov all reach the ceiling within the next couple of years.

Honestly this doesn't sound half as bad as watching them play in other Jerseys (mostly Ovechkin). They're legends and I like watching them.

Jun 15, 2007
Uncapped league I would give Ovechkin 20 million. Hell, make it 30. Not my money. He deserves it.

In a capped league, 40 year old Ovechkin at 12m is just not good. What will make Ovechkin happier after he retires? Holding the all time goal scoring record because he played his entire career on a great team? Or an extra 10 million in his bank account?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Uncapped league I would give Ovechkin 20 million. Hell, make it 30. Not my money. He deserves it.

In a capped league, 40 year old Ovechkin at 12m is just not good. What will make Ovechkin happier after he retires? Holding the all time goal scoring record because he played his entire career on a great team? Or an extra 10 million in his bank account?

He does have 2 kids, so he propably isn't thinking about his own bank account, but theirs. Either way that's still just part of contract negotiation. Team starts at 9.5, you start at 12. Meet in the middle and everyone is happy.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
$12 million is 15% of the salary cap. If it doesn’t make your butthole pucker to put 15% of your cap on what will be a 36 year old, well, you’re just not paying attention.

Am I in the camp of keep Ovi forever? Yes. Does that mean I’m going to smile as we just open up the check book? No.

I stand by the woof

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
$12 million is 15% of the salary cap. If it doesn’t make your butthole pucker to put 15% of your cap on what will be a 36 year old, well, you’re just not paying attention.

Am I in the camp of keep Ovi forever? Yes. Does that mean I’m going to smile as we just open up the check book? No.

I stand by the woof

Ok let me ask you this then, what other jersey are you ok with Ovi wearing? Someone will pay him what he wants.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At the end of the day your choices are sign him or let him walk. Who here chooses let him walk? While there is a salary cap for players there is not earnings cap for Ted. Alex Ovechkin is among the few players that even if paying him the max, he makes more money for you than he costs. Ted takes sign him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
From that same article on RMNB :laugh:

“I wouldn’t call her uncompromising because she did, in fact, compromise,” McPhee said to Sports Illustrated in 2008. “But Alex’s mother is very strong, very protective. And she knows what she wants.”

His mom is the one you have to convince that fielding a competitive team is the best strategy for chasing the record lol

I think 13 years later that Alex has learned enough to call his own shots with his mom's approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad