Alexander Kerfoot Discussion Thread

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Ok. You know my opinion of him. For those that don't know I'll explain.

Alexander Kerfoot is a 5th line Center for the leafs. He is probably better suited for the wing. If so, then he's a 4th line winger. He doesn't do any one thing particularly well. He is probably our 6th or 7th best penalty killer. I don't think he has any business on the PP at all. Doesn't fight, kind of lazy, doesn't use his speed, doesn't use his brain, takes bad penalties, terrible shot selection, soft, cannot stick handle all that well, etc.

What do you think? Are you at all comfortable having Kerfoot as a 3rd line C for your team? I'm not. He is below average C for a team that strives for a lot better.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He's the poster boy of a vanilla professional ice hockey player. He is basically Bozak with less offensive talent and better defensive ability. The guy isn't bad, but he makes it hard for me to be a fan - he looks less effective out there than his analytics suggest he is.

I wouldn't say there is any urgent need to run him out of town or anything, but I would certainly not object to an upgrade over him if one can be obtained at a sensible cost.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas dodged a bullett with Barrie by signing Brodie. He is as many say, vanilla but I am not sure how he turns Kerfoot into a win.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think he's currently the team's best choice for a 3C. Yes, he's probably a bit overpriced for the role. The expansion draft is on the horizon.

Reactions: uncleben

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We could use a more traditional 3C that can handle secondary matchups, but I don't see a scenario where we can upgrade him until the off-season at the earliest. We just have to deal with an inconsistent third line in the meantime.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
hes fine .... the problem is his linemates are compelte garbage. he would have had 5 to 7 extra assists if his linemates were any good. Kerfoot has made some surprisingly good passes in the Ozone.
vesey is just shit and he would be the first person i would drop. They definatly need a trade to upgrade the third line.
soup has speed and is great defensivly but his shot SUUUUCKS , he reminds be of a much crappier kappy.

we really need to see a major shakeup on that thrid line ... something like
3- engvall - kerfoot - spezza
4- vesey - boyd - petan

just shake it up .

Reactions: uncleben

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He's a great litmus test to see who can evaluate a hockey player for things other than putting the puck in the net and hitting people. Strong positionally for both puck support and defense, speed makes him quite effective in transition (both ways) and pressuring the puck.
He's the poster boy of a vanilla professional ice hockey player. He is basically Bozak with less offensive talent and better defensive ability. The guy isn't bad, but he makes it hard for me to be a fan - he looks less effective out there than his analytics suggest he is.

I wouldn't say there is any urgent need to run him out of town or anything, but I would certainly not object to an upgrade over him if one can be obtained at a sensible cost.

This sums him up perfectly. I certainly wouldn't be against replacing him with someone that can do the job cheaper, but he's certainly not a problem at the moment.

5C/ 4W assessments are flat out ridiculous.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Do you guys like our improved defensive play as a team?

You should.

Learn to appreciate what a good defensive player looks like.

When you don't move your skates, you hook players from behind (with 2 min. left in the period), and you're in the offensive zone it's hard to appreciate the nuances of Kerfoot's defensive artistry. Bitching at the refs to boot!

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Kerfoot hasn’t been terrible. Hopefully with Thornton/Robertson coming back soon it’ll help that third line actually capitalize on their offensive chances!

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
He's not a player who I personally enjoy watching but he's nowhere near as bad as OP thinks lol. Not a great offensive player, solid defensively overall but I think he makes some questionable gaffes. Has potential if he keeps honing in on his defense. But yeah for some reason I find him to be the most unlikable player on the team, not sure why exactly but my brothers agree with me as well :huh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
When you don't move your skates, you hook players from behind (with 2 min. left in the period), and you're in the offensive zone it's hard to appreciate the nuances of Kerfoot's defensive artistry. Bitching at the refs to boot!

Ironically Kerfoot’s elite skating is exactly why he's so good defensively.

Reactions: stopclickbait

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Trouble with Kerfoot, he’s just okay at everything. An NHL player, but not sold as an effective third line center. This developing myth about his defensive acumen is just that, he isn’t great in the corners and loses coverage often. He’s bad on the draw, 43 percent, is just a warm body on PK, ditto PP. He’s got okay skill, decent speed, inconsistent, has trouble finding chemistry with line mates it seems....He’s serviceable, really doesn’t stand out in any way to me. I was listening to the 590 crew debate his worth, here the discussions seem to get wrapped around a Kadri debate, which is irrelevant to his play. Our third line isn’t clicking at all, he’s on a 7 goal pace, he’s been meh and I don’t get all the tire pumping on here to be honest every time he does something. He is definitely not a shutdown calibre defender IMO. He’s on the ice, eventually he will do something. I don’t hate him, but I’m hard pressed to be a “backer” other than he’s an NHL player.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He get some of thr eoughest zone starts of any centre on the team and also gets used a lot by Keefe when defending leads - that's not unnoticeable. His wingers also haven't exactly been doing him many favors in terms of offense.

Id agree hes hardly untouchable, and could be potentially revisited in the offseason forbtrade/expansion. But unless there's a clear upgrade available at the tdl, moving him for the sake of moving him hurts the team more than it helps.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Jack of all trades, master of none type of player. I'd like Kerfoot a lot more at 1.5m as opposed to 3.5m, we'll lose him at the expansion draft which is fine, not a hard player to upgrade on but I don't think that happens until the summer. I'd also prefer him on the wing.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Do you guys like our improved defensive play as a team?

You should.

Learn to appreciate what a good defensive player looks like.
Good defensive players that put up next to no points (like Kerfoot has this year) get paid league minimum. Not 3.5 million.

He's on pace for 6 goals, 27 points over 82.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad