Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
4 years at $5.5M for a defenseman who will be 33, 34, 35, and 36 in each year of the deal and has never had any interest in leaving his comfortable Vancouver life. All in exchange for “sacrificing” his Expansion draft protection that was purely academic anyway - Seattle was never going to waste a pick on a 35 year old defenseman anyway.

Edler played us beautifully. Good job boy.

Edit: And for those touting that it is a good deal for our best defenseman ... jesus christ I sure hope he isn’t our best defenseman going into training camp this fall, let alone 3-4 years from now.

Reactions: m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And that’s is a fair price for Gardiner

This isn’t 2013 or even 2015 anymore, inflation is a real thing
7 years for Gardiner takes him to age 36. Edler is 33 so he’s either signed until he turns 36 or 37. Gardiner missed the end of the season with a back injury so you wonder about that.

That 2008 Dman draft class are coming up on contract 3 for most of them. EK at $11.5, doughty at $11, Carlson at $8. AP and Jossi can extend this summer. Gardiner, Myers are ufa.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
7 years for Gardiner takes him to age 36. Edler is 33 so he’s either signed until he turns 36 or 37. Gardiner missed the end of the season with a back injury so you wonder about that.

That 2008 Dman draft class are coming up on contract 3 for most of them. EK at $11.5, doughty at $11, Carlson at $8. AP and Jossi can extend this summer. Gardiner, Myers are ufa.

Yeah this. Next two years of Edler should be roughly equal value to Gardiner. Everyone here was thinking 5.0-5.5M on 3 years was pretty good, meaning we were probably expecting something like 3 years @6M. That's $18M right there, so a 5.0-5.5 cap hit on 4 years means he's getting around $2-4M in year 4.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Difference is you get 4 years of sub-33 y/o Gardiner, which is already gone for Edler. You’re buying those good years in one case, whereas the other you’re only buying the decline years.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
And that’s is a fair price for Gardiner

This isn’t 2013 or even 2015 anymore, inflation is a real thing

That's the type of contract you give Gardiner if he's effectively the "missing piece" between you and being a contender. You don't give a guy a contract like that to float your busted ass roster for another couple years before his back gives out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Difference is you get 4 years of sub-33 y/o Gardiner, which is already gone for Edler. You’re buying those good years in one case, whereas the other you’re only buying the decline years.
True but the good years of Gardiner gets the team close to the playoffs then makes them a playoff team. If they do become a contender then you’re into the declining years.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If it’s 4 years I retract my praise for the deal.
Except that year 4 is likely to be relatively inconsequential if there is a buy out or trade for an asset. It was 3 or 4 years without ability to move him that was the big issue. $5.5M is not a big contract for a top 4 D-man.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Two year deal would have been better but Edler doesn't seem to be declining that much so hopefully he'll still be serviceable for the last few years.Hopefully by then we might be able to replace his tougher minutes with someone younger although I can't really picture that happening with Benning at the controls.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Let's face it, Edler can get a 4 year contract from some team. $5M-$5.5M AAV is a great deal for what Edler offers now in today's market. Of course 4 years for Edler at a $5M+ AAV is quite risky even though I think that Edler that can be effective for another 3-4 years. I also agree that expansion draft protection shouldn't be that important of a factor for Edler. He could threaten to retire if he is selected and ultimately be traded back to the Canucks for a mid draft pick if need be.

If it's 4 years at $5-5.5M AAV to re-sign Edler this is a retirement contract for a Dman who is going to hold all the Canucks' Dman records by the time he retires.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
True but the good years of Gardiner gets the team close to the playoffs then makes them a playoff team. If they do become a contender then you’re into the declining years.

Sure but sometimes ya gotta get good before you can be great. I have been ardent pro tank since 2013-14 but even I have my limits. I’d rather see Gardiner over the next 4 years than more Pouliot and Sbisa.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Except that year 4 is likely to be relatively inconsequential if there is a buy out or trade for an asset. It was 3 or 4 years without ability to move him that was the big issue. $5.5M is not a big contract for a top 4 D-man.

You can’t qualify every single deal as being good *IF* you buy it out or trade the guy. The fact that you have to qualify it with those outs signals that it isn’t a very good deal. Buy outs aren’t free and cap dumps cost assets. Time to stop using these as fix all’s for every silly signing we make.

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016
Just dumb. If Edler were a UFA with no history here would anyone advocate signing a 33 yo defender to a 4 year deal?

It was time to let go. For once I actually thought this would do the sensible thing. Shame on me.
You also said you "quit" being a fan months ago and you're still here so...Shame on you indeed.

People losing their shit are too funny. Don't sign him. Let's perpetually be a bad team. Let's overpay for a worse player such as Gardiner or Myers. Let him go. We'll be a better team in 3 years haha!! Or, we can try to be a better team next year, like all 31 GMs in the league do each and every off-season. You know, the logical thing to do!!

The assumptions are just next level. The term doesn't mean anything when A: The no protection after year 2 exists and B: the cap in year 4 will make a 5m AAV look like peanuts.

Apparently on the main boards the cap rising is a justifiable reason for saying the likes of Hayes for 7m is fine, but that doesn't exist on the HF Canucks. When it comes to signing pending UFAs/UFAs, you are not signing them for the latter years of the contract. You sign them to get them now. What Edler brings now is not something we can afford to give up and no UFA defenseman is going to replace it, and do it while taking more term and more AAV.

The most outrageous part of it is that Edler easily played last season like a bonafide #2 defenseman. There are no signs of him declining currently. If he is a 3rd pairing guy in year 4 it really won't matter.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You also said you "quit" being a fan months ago and you're still here so...Shame on you indeed.

Lol, and who the f*** are you?

I never said that btw. I said I didn't really care anymore whether or not they win particular games. I still take an interest in what they are doing at a higher level and enjoy discussing those things. Never said otherwise.

Crawl back under your bridge.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The logic of "signing a bad contract is not really a problem because there might be ways to get out from the contract later maybe" is really faulty and renders discussion of contracts pretty much meaningless.

if all your options are bad, you take the least bad. the nhl ufa and trade market frequently gives you nothing but bad options because of scarcity and cap limits. however, standing pat is also a bad option. thus you have to work out whether standing pat or signing a bad contract is worse. the fact that the "worst" part of a contract is postponed two years and might be avoided is certainly a factor to weigh in comparison to a another bad contract or standing pat.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
it isn't awful. would have preferred something like 2years/15million. I'm guessing the money might break down that way anyways. or perhaps getting full value for the potential lockout year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

People losing their **** are too funny. Don't sign him. Let's perpetually be a bad team. Let's overpay for a worse player such as Gardiner or Myers. Let him go. We'll be a better team in 3 years haha!! Or, we can try to be a better team next year, like all 31 GMs in the league do each and every off-season. You know, the logical thing to do!!

The assumptions are just next level. The term doesn't mean anything when A: The no protection after year 2 exists and B: the cap in year 4 will make a 5m AAV look like peanuts.

You're missing the issue. If Edler was the same age as Gardiner and Myers (whom most don't want to overpay to sign) there are no issues whatsoever giving him a 4 year contract. The problem is that he isn't. But you are right that the Canucks would be a worse team without him next season.

As for your comment about $5M AAV looking like peanuts that makes no sense. The cap isn't going up as much as you seem to be expecting. $5M is still a significant salary. Eriksson's contract surely isn't looking like close to peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad