Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabs*

Never said hutch was a pretender and Pav has shown pretty well if I do say so myself. All I said was hutch wasn't ready for the pressure early in the year.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
My take on the Noel Burmistrov soap opera is that Noel didn't treat him like the star 1st rounder he was, had a temper tantrum, and left for home.

Do the Jets really want to go out of their way to add that to the locker room?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
My take on the Noel Burmistrov soap opera is that Noel didn't treat him like the star 1st rounder he was, had a temper tantrum, and left for home.

Maybe, maybe not. But even if they don't plan on retaining him, does it not make sense to sign him and trade him? Losing an asset for nothing is, well, bad asset management.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

So you'd ignore the fact that our cap numbers severely limited how much we could offer Burmistrov contract wise. The fact Noel played Jokinen over Burmistrov consistently when no fan can figure out why as Jokinen didn't look better or perform better statistically. Which was not "treating him like a star" so I refute the hyperbole, I think most players tend to take umbrage with being dropped for someone inferior.

Then add in the fact Burmistrov was being offered more money to play in his hometown.

Or we could look at the fact this entire team plays better without Noel...strange coincidence that is.

Plus explain to me how the Jets are going to "go out of their way" by simply offering him a contract. Burmistrov is probably involves the least "going out of their way" for any NHL team trying to acquire a player possible. No courting like a UFA and no asset used like in a draft or a trade.

Overall you just showed a one-sided post with a sprinkle of exaggeration and hyperbole. Not exactly painting an honest picture of what happened or what would happen.

tucker22*

Aug 8, 2012

Short answer is hell yes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Is that true?

I thought there was no disadvantage to a team letting an ELC slide, and that would include diminished RFA years.

In fact, I thought ELC years are burned at 10 games, but RFA years are only burned at 40 (?) games.

My understanding is Burmi pushed back his NHL UFA status by not playing in the NHL. You are a UFA if you have 7 years NHL service or you are 27 yo. If he hadn't been rushed into the NHL he would be a UFA at 27 either way. If he would have stayed in the NHL he would have been a UFA at 25 yo (depending on contract status of course).

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

my take on it is Noel made some questionable personnel decisions, and Burmistrov took the available option (as is his right) to go to the KHL to play for his home town team for a good chunk of change.

No one knows the locker room dynamics (OT but I don't understand why hockey is the only sport where this is emphasized so heavily). I could just as easily speculate there's a half dozen of them who wish they had the option to do what Burmi did and may not begrudge him. It's all speculation and we'll never know.

Bottom line is I feel he'd be an improvement over what we employ currently, and even if he doesn't fit in the plans, he's still an asset we can get something for, no matter how little (his value to us is likely higher than in the league).

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I always wonder with your goal obsession would you turn down Joe Thornton in his prime?

Only cracked 30 twice! What a bust of a player!

I find it farcical that some in here consider Burmi a legitimate 2nd line centre before ever proving it. Some in here even go as far as to compare Burmi's skills to those in the Patrick Kane ilk.

I'd welcome Burmi back as the checking centre that he is, good defensive player who has no clue once he enter the opposition zone. Solid 4th line NHL'er, replace Frolik, no chance!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I find it farcical that some in here consider Burmi a legitimate 2nd line centre before ever proving it. Some in here even go as far as to compare Burmi's skills to those in the Patrick Kane ilk.

I'd welcome Burmi back as the checking centre that he is, good defensive player who has no clue once he enter the opposition zone. Solid 4th line NHL'er, replace Frolik, no chance!

Who says 2nd liner or Patrick Kane?

I think he can come in and be a serviceable 3rd liner either at C or the wing.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The fact people have him pencilled in over Lowry at 3C is too far for me. Possession stats only take you so far. He's a checking center.

Simply adding him to the fold is okay by me. Let him earn every minute he gets. It's the coach's call whether to play him or Jokinen on what line, not Alex's. The line of thinking that you do what the coach says right or wrong is one sided. The way it should be, that is.

He has the potential to help our team as much as any UFA could this summer. I'm all for giving him a chance but not if it disrupts the great thing we have going here. If we find someone better and he stays in Russia until 27, I could care less though. He plays by the rules or forget him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The fact people have him pencilled in over Lowry at 3C is too far for me. Possession stats only take you so far. He's a checking center.

Simply adding him to the fold is okay by me. Let him earn every minute he gets. It's the coach's call whether to play him or Jokinen on what line, not Alex's. The line of thinking that you do what the coach says right or wrong is one sided. The way it should be, that is.

He has the potential to help our team as much as any UFA could this summer. I'm all for giving him a chance but not if it disrupts the great thing we have going here. If we find someone better and he stays in Russia until 27, I could care less though. He plays by the rules or forget him.

Thing is he played even when Jokinen was lined up over him, so it's kind of a moot point isn't it? It's Noel's right to line him up where he wants, which he did, and which Burmi complied with.

Just like it was Burmi's right to exercise his rights as a sort of free agent and sign elsewhere.

It's not like he sat out games and caused a fuss because of where he was in the lineup or even dogged it. By memory he played hard every night.

So I'm unsure where people are saying he's disruptive to the locker room or that he suddenly has to "play by the rules" is there an example of when he didn't?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Just like it's Cheveldayoff's right to fire Noël for making questionable roster decisions.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Who says 2nd liner or Patrick Kane?

I think he can come in and be a serviceable 3rd liner either at C or the wing.

My comments weren't directed at you Sweech but it's debatable whether he would be an improvement over Lowry who is becoming a great defensive C.

Personally I think it's a perfect fit for Burmi to step into Slater's 4C spot, instant upgrade at that position.

jetkarma*

My comments weren't directed at you Sweech but it's debatable whether he would be an improvement over Lowry who is becoming a great defensive C.

Personally I think it's a perfect fit for Burmi to step into Slater's 4C spot, instant upgrade at that position.

You don't really actually think he would accept that role and position do you ?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
You don't really actually think he would accept that role and position do you ?

Hard to say now. H doesn't have the options he used to.

I'd pencil him In over Lowry or shift him to the wing. Having: Kane Lowry Burmi would be a great third line IMO

jetkarma*

Hard to say now. H doesn't have the options he used to.

I'd pencil him In over Lowry or shift him to the wing. Having: Kane Lowry Burmi would be a great third line IMO

That's not a 4th line position though , he isn't goin to come back as a 4th liner imo . Other options than that of course and I see him more as an option on the wing presently .

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I'd sooner stick him on Lowry's wing.

jetkarma*

If he's not prepared to start there and work his way up he can get paid in blondes and rubles for his career.

Is that so bad ?

He's not going to be a 4th line player here unless we radically adjust the minutes. He is an assett and Chevy has said that continually . He is worth more as a trade piece than to be on the 4th line in their current make up imo .

If we sign Frolik ( yes please ) we will have the makings of a surplus and of semi similar players . What to do with a surplus ? :)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
If he's not prepared to start there and work his way up he can get paid in blondes and rubles for his career.

But more importantly why would we start him there? He's a better option than most of our third line wingers as is. I feel confident in saying he's better than Thorburn and Halischuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad