Alexander Barkov on Matthews: "I don't think I've played against any better player than him."

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No. Barkov saying that means nothing. Players give compliments like that all the time, and the only reason it was picked up this time is because the media in Toronto love to brag about Matthews. Austin is not even in the top 20 scoring leaders right now. Come on! Of course he is among the best, but enough with this bull****. He needs to win a scoring title at least once like McDavid and others.
Pretty bad post honestly. It's amazing how many people think they can tell barkov that he's wrong about his competition as if they know better

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So, Matthews is going to make the league max his next contract, right?
Well, now that you've brought up his contract. You know what? I think Matthews is super overrated. What Barkov meant to say was that he hadn't played against a better player than Matthews on that particular day of that particular week. It was just a one off.

I'm praying Matty takes less than $10 mil/year. Crosby took a massive pay cut when he could've broken the bank as RFA on his 2nd contract. Matty wants to be the next Crosby (3x cup winner).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well, now that you've brought up his contract. You know what? I think Matthews is super overrated. What Barkov meant to say was that he hadn't played against a better player than Matthews on that particular day of that particular week. It was just a one off.

I'm praying Matty takes less than $10 mil/year. Crosby took a massive pay cut when he could've broken the bank as RFA on his 2nd contract. Matty wants to be the next Crosby (3x cup winner).
There's no way Matthews will sign for less than eichel

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
There's no way Matthews will sign for less than eichel
yeah see, I don't care about the dick measuring contest between Matthews and Eichel. Matthews can sign a hometown discount to make sure the team stays competitive and can make a run for the cup many many times in his tenure.

There are players like Stamkos, Crosby, Kucherov, Malkin who have taken massive discounts on their deals to make sure their teams are able to be top tier. It's not out of the realm of possible. We'll see though. Matthews to me seems like the type of guy that would take a hometown discount for the sake of keeping Mitch/ Willie and the rest of the crew happy.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
yeah see, I don't care about the dick measuring contest between Matthews and Eichel. Matthews can sign a hometown discount to make sure the team stays competitive and can make a run for the cup many many times in his tenure.

There are players like Stamkos, Crosby, Kucherov, Malkin who have taken massive discounts on their deals to make sure their teams are able to be top tier. It's not out of the realm of possible. We'll see though. Matthews to me seems like the type of guy that would take a hometown discount for the sake of keeping Mitch/ Willie and the rest of the crew happy.
He'd only do a hometown discount for Arizona.

Reactions: jaeger

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
I agree I watch nhl live and I am impressed with Matthews however his back checking needs work.

He’s not a complete player like Mcdavid and Crosby though but he is funner to watch.

Last edited:

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
If he is at least tied for the best he's played against (by your own admission), how is he not the best? To be the best, no one can be better. He said, in his opinion, no one is better. Unless you want to argue that two people cannot be equal. Given it is a matter of opinion, there's no way for you to substantiate it. Even if there was, you would essentially just be being a nit.
Look, if you want to have Matthews' babies then good for you. You are the one nitting this up.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah can see why Barkov said this Matthews just BEASTED it tonight against the Canucks. Havent seen a player play like that tonight in a LONG time was a treat to watch he just dominated every aspect of the game

Reactions: Garthinater

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah can see why Barkov said this Matthews just BEASTED it tonight against the Canucks. Havent seen a player play like that tonight in a LONG time was a treat to watch he just dominated every aspect of the game

Wasn't remotely close to one of his best games this season to be honest.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree I watch nhl live and I am impressed with Matthews however his back checking needs work.

He’s not a complete player like Mcdavid and Crosby though but he is funner to watch.

This post is hilarious. He's better defensively than Crosby and McDavid.

Reactions: bionic

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011

This is way too obvious for a troll post my friend.

Matthews is an excellent two way center with immense upside. Lucky for the Leafs. I understand what Barkov is getting at. The players have a slightly different view than the media and fans.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Since "well Barkov said ....." is now being used as indisputable proof of Matthews' dominance, didn't a certain 46 year old player say McDavid was going to score 100 goals?

I wonder if these compliments need to be taken with a grain of salt and not used to argue against statistical evidence.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
You thought Matthews had a bad game, so you went on to construct this sarcastic post. But, he still had a much better game than Boeser... So what does that say about your guy?

Last edited by a moderator:

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

I can guarantee that you have never seen Matthews play if that is your assessment of him...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You thought Matthews had a bad game, so you went on to construct this sarcastic post. But, he still had a much better game than Boeser... So what does that say about your guy?

And he still got 4 shots on goal. It's amazing how good he's creating shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

personally i think barkov is teasing everyone, he has extremely clever sense of humour and this is one of those moments.. he is laughing while reading how matthews is now "officially" best player in the league because of..

well done sasha :D

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Don't really watch him as a Canucks fan out west.. but after seeing him live for the first time. The kid is pretty damn huge.. was hard to get him off the puck.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Since "well Barkov said ....." is now being used as indisputable proof of Matthews' dominance, didn't a certain 46 year old player say McDavid was going to score 100 goals?

I wonder if these compliments need to be taken with a grain of salt and not used to argue against statistical evidence.

Speaking of grain of salt, "indisputable proof of his dominance" is a good strawman you are trying to take down.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Don't really watch him as a Canucks fan out west.. but after seeing him live for the first time. The kid is pretty damn huge.. was hard to get him off the puck.

Heh, reminds me of listening to a Morgan Reilly interview from when he first met Matthews at the worlds before the draft and was asked his first impressions.

"He's big.....real big...bigger than I thought he would be"

..and he is. Awesome game from the keeper to keep him off the scoresheet.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Speaking of grain of salt, "indisputable proof of his dominance" is a good strawman you are trying to take down.

Have you read through this thread? Arguments to the contrary are responded with "I'll take Barkov's opinion over yours"

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Have you read through this thread? Arguments to the contrary are responded with "I'll take Barkov's opinion over yours"

Well since when is Barkov's opinion not Barkov's opinion? Because a fan has a different one?

He played against him. That's his conclusion.

Doesnt mean that is a universal truth but in this case, that's what he thinks.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He was very good against Vancouver. Very good. I still think Johnny gaudreu and mcdavid is better based on games against Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad