Prospect Info: Alex Vlasic, Defence, USNTDP, 43rd overall (2019)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Yet. He has the tools to be, IMO.
Producing offense isn't really about tools. The tools help you do things on the ice but if you aren't creative with the puck, can't slow the game down and make plays, you aren't going to produce. There's no shortage of guys with great tools who can't produce.

Vlasic hasn't produced at any level he's played at as well. I don't think he's suddenly going to have some big breakthrough in the NHL. It's not as if he's come out of nowhere. He's had pedigree on his name for a long time and he's gotten lots of opportunities at lower levels.

The way he's trending at the moment, he'd be an excellent complement to a top-pairing PMD. Chip in 3-6 goals a year and 20 points. Provide excellent defensive value.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
He has the potential to score more.

30 points with elite defense is going to demand more than 3.5.

Amongst 151 D with 1000+ minutes of TOI last year, only 27 scored 30+ even-strength points. Do we really think Vlasic is going to be at or above the 82nd percentile in production? Where is his production going to come from? At best he's a PP2 option but if Vlasic is on your PP, that's probably not good news for your team.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Producing offense isn't really about tools. The tools help you do things on the ice but if you aren't creative with the puck, can't slow the game down and make plays, you aren't going to produce. There's no shortage of guys with great tools who can't produce.

Vlasic hasn't produced at any level he's played at as well. I don't think he's suddenly going to have some big breakthrough in the NHL. It's not as if he's come out of nowhere. He's had pedigree on his name for a long time and he's gotten lots of opportunities at lower levels.

The way he's trending at the moment, he'd be an excellent complement to a top-pairing PMD. Chip in 3-6 goals a year and 20 points. Provide excellent defensive value.

This was what I was talking about. Somewhere around 5 goals and 20-30 points overall, while providing elite level D. He would be a great top pairing defensive D to pair up with your elite offensive PMD.

I figure he has some offensive potential because of the things I mentioned before. He's good at getting his shot through, he's got a great stretch pass, and he is pretty good on the rush. I'm not saying he's going to be some offensive dynamo. Just that I can see him scoring 5 or 6 goals a year with 20-25 assists or so. Some years he may have 15 assists and 5 goals, some years he may have 20 or 22 and 5 goals. His value is going to be in his defensive game, and to me, an elite level defensive D for your top pair is going to require more than 3.5m/year. Based on his current play,(and that trend continuing) I think 8x5m would be pretty reasonable, and wind up being a steal if they could lock him up for that or less.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The best thing is that we have Phillips, Del Mastro, and Allan in the wings (or mostly in the wings in Phillips' case).

Hawks need to follow the path they took with Vlasic. Give these kids a lot of opportunity being THE guy(s) in Rockford. Big minutes, PP, PK, hope they develop half as well as Alex has.

Just keep churning out shut-down defenders.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The best thing is that we have Phillips, Del Mastro, and Allan in the wings (or mostly in the wings in Phillips' case).

Hawks need to follow the path they took with Vlasic. Give these kids a lot of opportunity being THE guy(s) in Rockford. Big minutes, PP, PK, hope they develop half as well as Alex has.

Just keep churning out shut-down defenders.
Don’t think they will rush edm or Allan at all.

Reactions: Giovi and Muffinalt

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Don’t think they will rush edm or Allan at all.
I don't either. I think the left side next season's gonna be KK, Vlasic, and Phillips. Allows each of those guys room to grow in the NHL, while giving EDM and Allan big opportunities in Rockford. A really solid way of handling each of them and their developments.

Just a shame that Rinzel is the only solid RHD in the farm system at the moment. Left side is in such better shape than the right long term.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't either. I think the left side next season's gonna be KK, Vlasic, and Phillips. Allows each of those guys room to grow in the NHL, while giving EDM and Allan big opportunities in Rockford. A really solid way of handling each of them and their developments.

Just a shame that Rinzel is the only solid RHD in the farm system at the moment. Left side is in such better shape than the right long term.
Allan can play his offside.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Allan has mostly been on his off side in Rockford. Don’t forget Kaiser. Playing much better lately in Rockford. I’m not sure what the future holds for Isaak here in Chicago although I do like him.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017

2017 was also the year that Hammer started to decline pretty quickly. Man if Vlasic could be another prime Hjalmarsson that would be beautiful. Also in respect to the RHD situatuon, Levshunov looks pretty good if we dont land Celebrini.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I may have asked this before but is this the first home grown Blackhawks defenseman success story since Hjalmarsson?

Seems like 15 years since we’ve developed a top 4 d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad