Alex Tanguay 'officially' retires

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Tracking down if the paperwork is in, but him joining the NHL network signals he is probably done.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/02/alex-tanguay-retire.html

4th all time leading scorer in Avs' history (in goals, assists and points)... all time leader in offsides (unconfirmed). I felt he deserved a thread. :nod:

Tanguay2_2001SCF.jpg

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Stanley cup hero. I'm glad I was able to grow up watching him. Depressing times for Avs fans.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Great career for him. Glad he's still involved.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My favorite Avs' memory is still Game 7... that was just a magical game to be at and a lot of that special night was due to him. Thanks Tangs!!! :yo:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Underrated player if you ask me. Best stretch of hockey from 2003-2007 where he posted 238 points in 221 games. Always loved intellectual players like Tanguay.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I listened to Game 7 in 2001 on a school bus radio on the way home from a school canoe trip. Have never been happier to hear Tanguay's name so much.

I've been following the Avs since the year Tanguay was drafted. Contemplating my own mortality right now.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I still own two Tanguay jerserys (1 Avs, 1 Flames). I was a heartbroken kid when they traded him, and was thrilled when they traded him back and he went on a tear with Landy and Stastny.

He'll always be one of my favorite Avs players.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
One of my all-time faves...both because he's the same age as me and because i distinctly remember all the hoopla over the '98 draft and the picks PL stocked up on (4 first rounders) in an attempt to get Vinny. Even falling short - for at least a few years, 3 of those 4 picks looked great. Tangs obviously but puck-poise jokes aside - people forget how awesome a very, very young Marty Skoula looked next to Bourque on the blueline and what a terrific, rugged young stay-at-home defender Robyn Regehr was. Scott Parker was WTF from the beginning but he was a crazy man who added a few moments of extreme enjoyment during his tenure with the Avs.

Numbers would be even better if he wasn't robbed of one of his absolute peak years by the lockout. In 2003-04, he produced 79 points in 69 games and then in 2005-06, after the lost year, he had 78 points in 71 games. Got traded to Calgary and next year put up 81 points in 81 games.

I know a lot of his production gets credited to the high-powered offense he was on but in 03-04, he had a higher PPG than Sakic and much higher than Hejduk while Forsberg was ridiculous but played in only 39 games (scoring 55 points). That was a 93-94 points season had he not missed 13 games and would have put him neck-and-neck with MSL for the NHL scoring lead.

And then after losing a year to the lockout, he basically duplicates that level of production and then for good measure, after getting dealt from the Avs, still puts up 81 points for his new club. It was 3 (should have been 4) years of some of the best production by anybody in the league at the time.

I still remember all the arguments I got into with the debates over him, Gomez and Gagne as they developed from that '98 draft - all three were exceptional in their prime and very, very historically underrated IMO but Alex would prove to have the longest shelf life as well.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I can still remember to this day spilling root beer on myself when I was cutting class to go bowling and I saw that goal he scored against philly in his rookie year on Vanbiesbrouck.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Easy to like him. Even the more annoying aspects of his game (offsides!) were somehow endearing.

Enjoy life beyond NHL, Alex.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
My all-time fav. Sad to see him go but it was time for him to lace em up. Even bought an Habs jersey because of him. And I freaking hate the Habs.

Anyway, best of luck to Alex!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I'll just leave this here, King of Offsides.

Thanks. Just what I needed right now was to cry :cry:

No matter how bad this hockey team is, all it takes is this video to make me realize how much I absolutely love the Colorado Avalanche. That Sakic ppg was one of my favorites ever as a hockey fan. Probably my number one. I always loved how much Brodeur sucked on those goals too.

Congrats Tangs. One of my all time Favs.

member 116861

Thank you, Tanguay. One of my favourite athletes ever. The day where we traded for him was one of my favourite hockey memories.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He will always hold a special place in my heart for what he did in that 2001 Cup Final Game 7.

Congratulations on a great career.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
There were times when he would frustrate you with his lack of shooting/idiotic offsides, but one of the most skilled and intelligent players with the puck that I have seen. A privilege to watch, especially in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00