Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo possibly being shopped

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The way it should be!!!

This isn't a freakin charity league. You were paid to get us a cup. You got the money we got the cup. Time to move on ;)

btw doesn't he have full NTC/NMC :laugh:
He has a full NMC. An organizations job is too attract players to want to play in the city. The Vegas lifestyle and low taxes makes them a desirable location, but as attractive as that is, there’s no point in setting up a family or getting cozy there because there’s always going to be a chance that they launch you out the door the first chance they get, even if you have protection. You can’t run a real business like a simulator because hockey players are real people. You can’t treat them like a used condom and expect them not to eventually catch on.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
no fan of vegas but the hate for them running it like a business is kind of funny. Its not like AP was grown through the organization and they are giving the finger to the face of the franchise. hes an asset that they are trying to maximize. he was always a hired gun when they got him. they have done some other questionable things in the past tho

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If Vegas find a team willing to take that Contract it basically confirms they have compromising photos of the GM/Owner and they should probably just McCrimmon gm of the year next year

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Alex is not accepting a trade to Columbus

I believe there was mutual interest when he was a UFA but Columbus had some cap juggling they needed to prioritize to ensure PLD didn't receive an offersheet. I understand you may still have some hurt feelings he chose Vegas.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Remind me why players covet Vegas as a destination again? Bread and circus for the lame-minded - recreationally and professionally, apparently.
Players are treated extremely well by the organization while they are here, they can be relatively anonymous within the Vegas community among the zillion other celebs, an oversupply of entertainment options, an army of unusually gorgeous women, and of course year-round golfing. Oh, and no state taxes for the financially-minded.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That NMC totally kills so much value and options and he's still got 3x8.8M or something like that and 34 years old.

He wanted money, stability and a place to raise a family. He has all three.

If he moves, it'll make him look like a liar for his stance to be there in the first place and I will finally side with Doug Armstrong on that ordeal, and to be fair, I now really want Doug to be right in not signing him.

Their needs are no retention, you take all salary and don't send any salary back lol
So... Pietrangelo and a 1st at 0% retention for a 7th?

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
I hope GMMG at least checks in on this.

I would imagine Pietrangelo probably wants to play for a team that can win, but he has already won it all....maybe there's a world in which he'd be happy to cash out the next few years living in California, while helping develop the kids? If so, the Sharks could eat his entire salary no prob.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
#1. Vegas doesn't need to clear his salary "outright". They are under the cap, and wihle depth has obviously taken a hit, any deal can almost certianly be money-in-money-out.

#2. Call me crazy, but I think Pietrangelo has enough respect around the league that he'd have positive value. He's won 2 cups with 2 different teams, playing massive roles for both. He was a 24:00 defenceman for the Knights this year.

Now, his NMC will of course get involved and likely limit the value a bit... especially as he's seemingly unlikely to go to a team like San Jose or Columbus. From a family perspective, St. Louis would seemingly be an ideal spot; but not really from a hockey perspective given that they need to get younger on the blueline.

That being said, as a Leaf fan, I'd jump on this... would love for it to be OEL + Robertson... but that's a bit of a tough go trading a guy the day after you sign him.

Then go and flip Marner for a cheaper forward or two to free up the cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
That NMC totally kills so much value and options and he's still got 3x8.8M or something like that and 34 years old.

He wanted money, stability and a place to raise a family. He has all three.

If he moves, it'll make him look like a liar for his stance to be there in the first place and I will finally side with Doug Armstrong on that ordeal, and to be fair, I now really want Doug to be right in not signing him.

So... Pietrangelo and a 1st at 0% retention for a 7th?
Poster above made a great point that NMC doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t accept a trade, it means you want full control over where you play.

And a trade years later would justify Armstrong? Just one question for you, Did our window close the second Petro left?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I have no real dog in the fight here, but I do find it odd that the league willingly collectively bargained with the player's union to allow no movement clauses and teams willingly sign players to very long contracts with no movement clauses, but then the teams/fans expect to be able to get out of that contract whenever they like.

Sure, there are situations where the team or player is unhappy and they can agree to waive a NMC, but it seems odd that the clause is viewed as being meaningless when a team wants out of the contract so they can sign the next shiny new object. The league has a tool to get rid of a player with a NMC who does not want to uproot his family: a buyout. The team honors their contractual agreement and the player becomes a UFA and chooses where he wants to play next.

Don't like it? Great, don't give a player a NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad