Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Beautiful goal and release by Alex Nylander on that goal. Really this is what I saw when he played in OHL for the Steelheads. He's also one of the smarter players with the puck on the Sabres. Something this team needs.

Reactions: Mitts888

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There's a serious debate in my head of whether or not he's actually a real good prospect, and we're just the world's worst organization at developing talent.

Reactions: 1972

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Beautiful goal and release by Alex Nylander on that goal. Really this is what I saw when he played in OHL for the Steelheads. He's also one of the smarter players with the puck on the Sabres. Something this team needs.

His play this call-up has been a pleasant surprise and one of very few bright spots on the team late in the season. If he's ready to step into the top 6 next year, that'd be huge -- we need scoring depth badly.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
There's a serious debate in my head of whether or not he's actually a real good prospect, and we're just the world's worst organization at developing talent.
How about he was 18 in the AHL. He should have been in the OHL.

He is a good player. Takes time to develop. He is only 21 and people were writing him off.

He has speed, a good hockey sense and a good shot also a good passer. He has all the tools. He will be in the top 6 next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Nylander was hurt last year. So that is not the organization's fault. But they iced a very weak Rochester team, and it was a bad situation for a player to develop. This year healthy, Nylander played well enough I thought to make the team. But Sabres went the conservative route. When they had trouble scoring, they only called him up recently when effectively the season was over. I think there is a little bit of truth in what you say there on both sides. He looked good to me considering how disorganized the Sabres played. He is one of the few guys that moves the puck quickly and smartly, which resulted in his terrific goal tonight. I am certainly not surprised he is doing well since his call up.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Nylander was hurt last year. So that is not the organization's fault. But they iced a very weak Rochester team, and it was a bad situation for a player to develop. This year healthy, Nylander played well enough I thought to make the team. But Sabres went the conservative route. When they had trouble scoring, they only called him up recently when effectively the season was over. I think there is a little bit of truth in what you say there on both sides. He looked good to me considering how disorganized the Sabres played. He is one of the few guys that moves the puck quickly and smartly, which resulted in his terrific goal tonight. I am certainly not surprised he is doing well since his call up.
I agree completely. It was wrong for Tage to be kept up and Nylander down. Its should have been reversed.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I don't care that one was kept up and the other sent down after camp, but how they never tried swapping them at some point over the season is insane.

They did not have to make both intertwined. They want to develop Tage in the NHL after he played 41 games as a 20 year old? Fine. They could have waived useless Elie months ago. Scott Wilson is garbage too, when he came back he could have sat to give Nylander a chance.

I would be ecstatic if Nylander turned out to be a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point winger. Tyler Ennis production is all I am asking for. Would it be a massive disappointment if a #8 pick turned out to be a 40-50 point middle 6 winger? Yes but that is much better then being a total bust.

Hell, maybe we can get Seattle to take Okposo off our hand if we give them Nylander in a couple years.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Nylander may be like EROD where he produces better at the NHL level vs the AHL level. EROD struggled to produce in Rochester, but was fine at the NHL level with better players

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nylander may be like EROD where he produces better at the NHL level vs the AHL level. EROD struggled to produce in Rochester, but was fine at the NHL level with better players

He already is smarter than the majority of the team from what I saw. Move the puck fast and smartly, and head for open ice. Too many Sabres are holding on to the puck too long, it's like they are the slowest puck moving team in the NHL. Atleast Nylander has always been good at this. Quick, intelligent puck movement.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They did not have to make both intertwined. They want to develop Tage in the NHL after he played 41 games as a 20 year old? Fine. They could have waived useless Elie months ago. Scott Wilson is garbage too, when he came back he could have sat to give Nylander a chance.

I would be ecstatic if Nylander turned out to be a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point winger. Tyler Ennis production is all I am asking for. Would it be a massive disappointment if a #8 pick turned out to be a 40-50 point middle 6 winger? Yes but that is much better then being a total bust.

Hell, maybe we can get Seattle to take Okposo off our hand if we give them Nylander in a couple years.

Amnesties are guaranteed in the next CBA as it's the one thing both sides want. That's how that contract will come off the book.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He already is smarter than the majority of the team from what I saw. Move the puck fast and smartly, and head for open ice. Too many Sabres are holding on to the puck too long, it's like they are the slowest puck moving team in the NHL. Atleast Nylander has always been good at this. Quick, intelligent puck movement.

I'm sure Phil will beat that out of him soon enough.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

What are you talking about? Might want to check those ahl numbers chief.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His play this call-up has been a pleasant surprise and one of very few bright spots on the team late in the season. If he's ready to step into the top 6 next year, that'd be huge -- we need scoring depth badly.

That would be a huge shift. Keep Skinner and have nylander be a 50 point winger and they might finally get to having 4 or even 5 top 6 forwards.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
These ones for EROD? He didnt exactly set the world on fire in the AHL, but has been effective in the NHL

2015–16Rochester AmericansAHL729213039
2015–16Buffalo SabresNHL21120
2016–17Rochester AmericansAHL489213027
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Oh wait are those goal posts moving I hear??

You said Erod produced better in the nhl than the ahl. He factually has not. His 8 game stint last year was over ppg. The year before that he produced more than any Erod nhl season.

It’s just not factual.

2015-16
Ahl 72 games 30 pts
2016-17
Ahl 48 games 30 points
2017-18
8 games 10 points

Ahl Rodriguez produced at top 6 level in his second year and a ppg beast in year 3.

Those are both better ppg rates than anything Erod has done in the nhl, with better players...

So....

Reactions: Willgamesh

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I’ll admit I thought Nylander was a bust mostly based on attitude. Although I did give him more slack than many last year just because I know from experience what a pain groin injuries are as they hang around forever. I certainly want him to succeed and am glad he’s showing so many positive signs this year.

That being said we’ve seen this same story play out twice before with a player coming onto the team during garbage time and posting good numbers in a small sample size only to pump expectations and fall drastically short of them the following season. See Nelson and Mittelstadt.

As an aside, I will say the psychology of this is odd. Because while these games are meaningless and pressure-free for the Sabres, they aren’t necessarily for their opponents. I’m not quite sure how to weight performance in these circumstances.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I’ll admit I thought Nylander was a bust mostly based on attitude. Although I did give him more slack than many last year just because I know from experience what a pain groin injuries are as they hang around forever. I certainly want him to succeed and am glad he’s showing so many positive signs this year.

That being said we’ve seen this same story play out twice before with a player coming onto the team during garbage time and posting good numbers in a small sample size only to pump expectations and fall drastically short of them the following season. See Nelson and Mittelstadt.

As an aside, I will say the psychology of this is odd. Because while these games are meaningless and pressure-free for the Sabres, they aren’t necessarily for their opponents. I’m not quite sure how to weight performance in these circumstances.

In the case of Mitts I think he just got lucky in a small sample size. Nothing to do with how important the games are (like you said these games are crunch time for most teams in the league). He's had a stretch this year as well with 5 points in 6 games.

I also think that 5 in 6 maybe gave him a misleading sense of confidence of what he can do in the NHL? Who knows if he really trained hard enough in the off-season but it doesn't seem like he did.

It probably also gave Botts the false sense of confidence to go out and trade ROR, thinking Mitts had a good chance of stepping up and filling the 2C role based on his 6 game sample.

(pure speculation but it seems reasonable)

Reactions: Mitts888

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
It probably also gave Botts the false sense of confidence to go out and trade ROR, thinking Mitts had a good chance of stepping up and filling the 2C role based on his 6 game sample.

Watch history repeat itself when it is assumed Nylander can be the goal scoring winger to replace Skinner’s production.

Reactions: sabremike

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
Not really. It’s almost like someone can be better at 21 overall than when they are a teenager.

I mean if we are so content with small sample sizes, dude was good for a goal a game his last 4 ahl games. He’s been less effective at the nhl level.
:naughty:

I intentionally did not reply to the llast post you quoted me in, because i don't want to clog this thread with Nylander posts. You are free to shuffle back a few pages in this thread or view my post history and see an in-depth reason why i felt Alex would be more effective in the NHL vs the AHL.

The rationale is not compicated, and it makes total sense if you look at the Nylander's in general. They are all the same kind of players, highly skilled, but always leaving you wanting more. Its not "sample size", dude is literally better than 75% of our forwards at worst and has been for some time. Just dont listen to the AHL and Twitter folk cause they all say he is terrible.

This board when they see his skill: :eek:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This thread is so typical. Guy plays a few decent games and people get excited. Meanwhile Nylander is behind so many in this draft class. Reality. Sabres can turn an 8th overall into nothing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm sure Phil will beat that out of him soon enough.

Yeah, I would not disagree. Skinner was virtually invisible last night. He is hurt. It would be a good time to see what Nylander can do with more skilled players. He played well enough to play with Eichel and Reinhart last night. Alex can play left wing, he did the entire year on Mississauga. Would like to see him play with 2 smarter players. I think this line can work. And it would give the Sabres an idea if they should go all in on Skinner this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad