Player Discussion Alex Goligoski

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Doesn't have his own thread, for some reason.

He's had some pretty huge weights placed on his shoulders this season (and last), and I think he's performed quite well. While I don't think he's perfectly fit for the role he's been placed in, he's definitely been at worst serviceable. Comparable to what we used to think Daley was, but without the skating.

Also curious as to what you all think about his upcoming UFA status, and his future with the team. I'd like to keep him around, but the price tag is going to be a prime factor in that decision.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
"Almost" Alex needs to go. He's holding back the top pairing. We need more size in the top 4.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It will be interesting.

Its hard to break up a league leading team at the end of Feb. But, I doubt the Stars will pay 4 years at $5M for him, either, so they could lose him for nothing.

In an odd way, the best scenario for Nil is for Alex to take some minor injury that takes him off the ice and out of the main group for a while, Nemeth or whoever does well replacing him, and that makes it okay to trade him and get some future return.

I know, be careful what you wish for....I don't want anyone to get seriously injured, and its hard to know just what might happen in any injury. Another scenario is that the Stars are slumping a little at the trade deadline, and Nill can do it in the name of shaking up the team.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Doesn't have his own thread, for some reason.

He's had some pretty huge weights placed on his shoulders this season (and last), and I think he's performed quite well. While I don't think he's perfectly fit for the role he's been placed in, he's definitely been at worst serviceable. Comparable to what we used to think Daley was, but without the skating.

Also curious as to what you all think about his upcoming UFA status, and his future with the team. I'd like to keep him around, but the price tag is going to be a prime factor in that decision.

The huge weights of being paired with our best dman, playing with our best forwards, and not being expected to do anything but not screw it up? He no longer creates any offense and he is still average at best defensively. For the most part he is a nonfactor who is doing what many hf fans think Klingberg does, leach points from productive fowards. They need to let him walk.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Goligoski can do whatever you ask of him and the only thing he's bad at, apart from occaisional puck bobbles, is running a pp. He never gets beat 1 on 1 by a puck carrier, not even Tarasenko, and don't forget he "leeched" his way to the top 20 in defensemen scoring before Klingberg got here or that he and Trevor Daley played almost 30 minutes a night down the stretch and in the playoffs without getting caved in.

Whatever you want to say about him, the question becomes who you think can replace him. Maybe you can make a case for Campbell and Yandle, but one is 36 and the other is gonna get 7m. If Goligoski will take less money and term he's the best guy available.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
"Almost" Alex needs to go. He's holding back the top pairing. We need more size in the top 4.

I'm inclined to agree. He hasn't been bad but I'd rather us not resign him. It would be like renewing a lease on a Mustang when you just inherited a Ferrari. Besides, what we really need is a good all around pickup.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm inclined to agree. He hasn't been bad but I'd rather us not resign him. It would be like renewing a lease on a Mustang when you just inherited a Ferrari. Besides, what we really need is a good all around pickup.

There's nobody better than Goligoski out there

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Except we don't have a Ferrari yet.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I think Goligoski has been good overall, the last 2 or 3 seasons anyways. I like his 1 on 1 game as LT said, and he's just an overall steady guy back there. Unspectacular, but that's okay.

I don't like how our blueline is so vanilla, and I think that given his upcoming UFA status, it may just be time to inject both some youth and a higher-end guy, and that may unfortunately squeeze him out.

If he was making say 3 mill I'd say sign him for life, but that's not the case.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Like the player, don't know how he fits in long term. If a better option isn't acquired, and I don't think one will be, I'd try to keep him. Lot of moving parts though.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What do you think he'll sign for, and since I don't see many Stars games, can someone give me brief rundown of his game, please?

Great 1 on 1 defender. Good at covering for a free styling guy like Klingberg or Daley if necessary, but can also be the primary puck mover. Bad at pp stuff, his passes just aren't good at setting up shots, but he can play an adequate point on the 2nd unit or if you have a QB to carry the heavy load. He can play big minutes if necessary.

Easily worth 6m/season, hoping we can get him back around 5.5x4 but there's nobody on the market as good besides Byfuglien, and he's his own animal.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The question is why though?

Added size, physicality...maybe overall defensive play.

The Klingberg-Goligoski pairing is going to get bullied in the playoffs. We need more muscle in our D-Corps....muscle that can actually play the position (not Oleksiak).

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Added size, physicality...maybe overall defensive play.

The Klingberg-Goligoski pairing is going to get bullied in the playoffs. We need more muscle in our D-Corps....muscle that can actually play the position (not Oleksiak).

Are they upgrades on Jokipakka?

I think we can handle it, and I think we're gonna let the chips fall where they may in the postseason.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
His name was just mentioned, and not in a good way...Oleksiak!
If he was playing since game 1 all season, he'd be better, with the puck and with 1 steady partner/pairing.

I'd surmise his huge size is currently a detriment, he's not fluid, like a power forward to a center in basketball.

The coaches should have him do some non-skating drills to strengthen, lean him up a bit and create speed in his arms/shoulders and legs, thus making him quicker and speedier. You cats may disagree, but I want him to become a regular, and not continually be rotated in and out of the lineup. Look at the upside, including his age! 6'7", 250 and only 23, with mean/Hatcher potential. I'm a fan, and if given the chance, more Stars fans would be as well.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
His name was just mentioned, and not in a good way...Oleksiak!
If he was playing since game 1 all season, he'd be better, with the puck and with 1 steady partner/pairing.

I'd surmise his huge size is currently a detriment, he's not fluid, like a power forward to a center in basketball.

The coaches should have him do some non-skating drills to strengthen, lean him up a bit and create speed in his arms/shoulders and legs, thus making him quicker and speedier. You cats may disagree, but I want him to become a regular, and not continually be rotated in and out of the lineup. Look at the upside, including his age! 6'7", 250 and only 23, with mean/Hatcher potential. I'm a fan, and if given the chance, more Stars fans would be as well.

Oleksiak doesn't have half of the mean-streak that Big Hatch had...and even if he did, he couldn't play like Hatcher did in that era...because the US has gotten buttery soft and with it our sports leagues have gotten equally soft.

Besides that, Hatcher made much fewer mistakes than Big Big.

Oleksiak isn't playing because he didn't earn the I icetime. If he had earned the icetime, we wouldn't be using rink-rust as an excuse. He's been given ample opportunity year after year and he's not cemented a permanent role. That's on him.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
Great 1 on 1 defender. Good at covering for a free styling guy like Klingberg or Daley if necessary, but can also be the primary puck mover. Bad at pp stuff, his passes just aren't good at setting up shots, but he can play an adequate point on the 2nd unit or if you have a QB to carry the heavy load. He can play big minutes if necessary.

Easily worth 6m/season, hoping we can get him back around 5.5x4 but there's nobody on the market as good besides Byfuglien, and he's his own animal.

Perfect. Thanks for taking a minute to answer. I was just looking at upcoming free agents and figured he looked like the 2nd best UFA D this summer, if he gets there. Flames could be looking for a 2nd pairing guy but it sounds like he'll be a bit too pricey to have on our 2nd pairing. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad