Alex Goligoski retires

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Was my favorite Gopher defenseman for a very long time, still not sure if Brock unseats him from that position but probably. His ability to read the breakout was unparalleled at that level and he just played the game so intelligently. MN fans might be a bit miffed at his late career play relative to cap hit, but he was still pretty effective as little as two seasons ago.

Congrats on the long and excellent career, hope he enjoys a long and excellent retirement with his family!

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I liked this guy a lot. For some reason the undersized PMD without a bomb of a shot is one of my favourite players types, and Goligoski was one of the best examples of that for a while. He's gotta be happy with his career too.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Great career for a undersized offensive defenseman picked 61st overall in an era where that really wasn't a thing yet. Gave hope to people under six feet with receding hairlines everywhere. Enjoy retirement GoGo.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Had him mixed up with Jordan Leopold at first and was like "didn't he already retire 10 years ago?"

Always liked him on Pittsburgh and Dallas. Never really kept up with the rest of his Western Conference career but he was always underrated and always impressed me when I watched him play.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Ah Goose, I really liked him as a Pens player and it sucked to see him go but at the time, that was an epic steal by Shero and the memes were born of Dallas being ripped off with EA trade proposals.

Smooth skater, severely underrated at all aspects of the game but had an incredible career and longevity. He wants to be a GM some day so I think maybe Guerin brings him in as a scout or something so he can stay home with after welcoming their third child.

Reactions: dalewood12

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Great career for a undersized offensive defenseman picked 61st overall in an era where that really wasn't a thing yet. Gave hope to people under six feet with receding hairlines everywhere. Enjoy retirement GoGo.
Goligoski is 5'11", that really isn't that uncommon even back then. Keith Ballard was taken in the first round 2yrs before Goligoski was taken by the Pens in the 2nd round and he is also 5'11" - Also Trevor Daley was taken in the 2nd round in 2002. I mean did you forget Brian Rafalski was one of the top defensemen in the league well before Goligoski was drafted? Rafalski wasn't even drafted, the Devils literally signed a 5'10" defenseman in 1999 when the Size Queen era was in full swing.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Congrats to him, but this is one of those cases where I thought he retired 5 years ago.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
One of the worst trades in Stars recent history when they moved him to the Yotes for a 5th round pick 🤦‍♂️

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I, for one, get tired of hearing of how good he was for other teams. His play ranged between mediocre to bad when he was with MN.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Solid depth defenseman. Carved out a pretty nice career for himself. Got a cup early in his career and ran with it from there.

Good luck to him.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Flash back for me. He was traded to Dallas in 2011 for James Neal and Matt Niskanen. I was a big fan of him during his time in Dallas.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I never get all these comments about "he was still in the league"? He played until April 2024 lol, is it just because he was on random western teams?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Good career. Underrated player for a long time. One of my favourite "cool names" in the league too.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Good puck moving top 4 maybe even top 2 defenseman in his prime . Sadly after signing the big deal with the Yotes he never really got back to a playing on a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad