News Article: Alex Formonton retires

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He let himself down, too. In a decade or so, once he has a taste of the real world and the blue collar working life and finances, he'll realize just what he threw away.

Yeah, he destroyed his own life with one stupid choice. I was about to say "he already made money in the NHL" but actually only played one year out of the ELC and a 20 games stretch the year before. If he didn't spend, he's still well set. He's young, strong and healthy, he'll just do like the rest of mortals and work

If guilty then fully deserved, if not guilty a true shame.

Why would he retire from hockey at 24 if he was not guilty? He'd still declare that he's innocent and would continue to play elsewhere. He's trying to move on from the hockey world, might even change his name.

Edit : didn't know he declared that he was innocent already

Last edited:

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
'Guilty' of what tho?

Precedence built upon precedent. The 'tower' builds upon itself until it seems to reach 'heaven'. The higher we build the farther we may fall.

Formenton's actions are just that - actions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He let himself down, too. In a decade or so, once he has a taste of the real world and the blue collar working life and finances, he'll realize just what he threw away.
He has estimated career earning over 2.2 mil from the NHL alone, plus two years in the Swiss league, he's probably already made more than a blue collar worker can really expect over a career, though tbf, he also probably spent more in legal fees than most.

24 years old and likely has no mortgage or rent to worry about and no student debt. Most kids his age have a hard time imagining a future of home ownership little lone no mortgage at 24.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
'Guilty' of what tho?

Precedence built upon precedent. The 'tower' builds upon itself until it seems to reach 'heaven'. The higher we build the farther we may fall.

Formenton's actions are just that - actions.
I'm trying to understand your position here, so by all means, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that if everything in the accusations are true and he was Jon Doe 1 or whatever, his actions shouldn't have resulted in the consequences we've seen to date or those he potentially faces beyond?

I'm also completely unclear on what you are trying to express with "his actions are just that, actions". Well ya, and some actions have consequences, you learn that as a toddler.

Reactions: Cosmix and Samboni

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why would he retire from hockey at 24 if he was not guilty? He'd still declare that he's innocent and would continue to play elsewhere. He's trying to move on from the hockey world, might even change his name.
Lots of suppositions on your part.

Reactions: The Expert and bert

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I'm trying to understand your position here, so by all means, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that if everything in the accusations are true and he was Jon Doe 1 or whatever, his actions shouldn't have resulted in the consequences we've seen to date or those he potentially faces beyond?

I'm also completely unclear on what you are trying to express with "his actions are just that, actions". Well ya, and some actions have consequences, you learn that as a toddler.
Let's stay on track and examine his retirement and new career as a heavy machine operator.

Let's wait until the court case before we pass judgement. I learned that as a toddler, too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He did declare he is innocent, he plead not guilty. He needs to be present for the case, playing elsewhere isn't really an option, even if some team out there would risk the bad PR

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let's stay on track and examine his retirement and new career as a heavy machine operator.

Let's wait until the court case before we pass judgement. I learned that as a toddler, too.
Did I pass any judgement? You seem to have me confused with someone else.

• Love
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He did declare he is innocent, he plead not guilty. He needs to be present for the case, playing elsewhere isn't really an option, even if some team out there would risk the bad PR

Oh didn't know that (since I don't spend a minute looking for these infos). is the door closed for the Swiss leageu as well?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What would you do if you were guilty in reality but were accused of such things? You'd retire, say nothing and just try to disappear into anonymity?
He has said he was not guilty. I think you are underestimating the stress and depression someone might face living under the accusation. I’m not saying he’s not guilty but there is still the chance he is.

Reactions: Sensators

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh didn't know that (since I don't spend a minute looking for these infos). is the door closed for the Swiss leageu as well?
He returned from the Swiss league because he has to face trial in London. Retirement from the NHL likely doesn't impact his ability to play for other leagues in the future but he may not be interested in playing overseas, who knows. What is known is he indicated to the courts that he needs to work and not be present for pretrial to cover costs (presumably to pay his lawyers?) while awaiting trial.

Reactions: GCK

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
He returned from the Swiss league because he has to face trial in London. Retirement from the NHL likely doesn't impact his ability to play for other leagues in the future but he may not be interested in playing overseas, who knows. What is known is he indicated to the courts that he needs to work and not be present for pretrial to cover costs (presumably to pay his lawyers?) while awaiting trial.

might also need a big bond to leave the country, hence working in country.

Reactions: bert and Micklebot

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He has said he was not guilty. I think you are underestimating the stress and depression someone might face living under the accusation. I’m not saying he’s not guilty but there is still the chance he is.

It's ok Micklebot just told me the parts I was missing.

I was under the impression that he never said anything but again, not investing a lot of time in this so thanks for summarizing everything.

He returned from the Swiss league because he has to face trial in London.

Specifically about this, he returned because he had to face trial but 2 others guys are in the KHL actually, no?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He played two seasons in the Swiss league. That is a way tougher league than the NHL. He deserves to retire.

Besides, his lawyers said it would be better for him to show that his life is already ruined, so the court rulings are less severe.
I cant tell what is real and what isnt in this post. What I do know is the second sentence is wrong. And that there is no way you know the 4th one.

A level headed and normal response. Nothing here for self fulfillment like throughout most of this thread.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He has estimated career earning over 2.2 mil from the NHL alone, plus two years in the Swiss league, he's probably already made more than a blue collar worker can really expect over a career, though tbf, he also probably spent more in legal fees than most.

24 years old and likely has no mortgage or rent to worry about and no student debt. Most kids his age have a hard time imagining a future of home ownership little lone no mortgage at 24.
Granted he's far better off than most, but while 2.2M sounds great, it is really about 1.4 (majors vs minors salary). Then take into account escrow, agent fees and taxes he probably saw about 800K. Swiss is about 200K year (tax free) so he likely ended up with about 1.5M Canadian all said and done You also have to assume he did not save every dime, fully expecting to have a longer career.

So yes, he likely can outright afford to buy a modest house, although at about 1M for a house in Barrie he may still have a mortgage. Its far better off than most could hope for, but its also a far cry from what an NHL player expects to get out of his career.

Given the writing seemed on the wall, not taking the QO from Ottawa turned into a big mistake. And for all we know, he may have been offered more.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Granted he's far better off than most, but while 2.2M sounds great, it is really about 1.4 (majors vs minors salary). Then take into account escrow, agent fees and taxes he probably saw about 800K. Swiss is about 200K year (tax free) so he likely ended up with about 1.5M Canadian all said and done You also have to assume he did not save every dime, fully expecting to have a longer career.

So yes, he likely can outright afford to buy a modest house, although at about 1M for a house in Barrie he may still have a mortgage. Its far better off than most could hope for, but its also a far cry from what an NHL player expects to get out of his career.

Given the writing seemed on the wall, not taking the QO from Ottawa turned into a big mistake. And for all we know, he may have been offered more.
regular folks pay taxes and have expenses too, he got a head start on life most can't even dream of. He'll be fine, assuming his legal fees don't bankrupt him. That's the bigger threat I imagine. He also potentially got into the home ownership marked before Covid, which helps. In fact, if he sold in 2022 when he left for the swiss league. he potnetially timed the market perfectly as it was at it's peak at that point.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
regular folks pay taxes and have expenses too, he got a head start on life most can't even dream of. He'll be fine, assuming his legal fees don't bankrupt him. That's the bigger threat I imagine. He also potentially got into the home ownership marked before Covid, which helps. In fact, if he sold in 2022 when he left for the swiss league. he potnetially timed the market perfectly as it was at it's peak at that point.

Hopefully he can work hard so he can afford NHL tickets one day because I can’t anymore

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
He has nothing to worry about. His fiance and family are extremely wealthy. They own Atlas/Apex roofing and are worth billions. When he moved in with Norris in my neighbourhood, before the season started, his fiance and mom were at the rental house regularly showing up with their 700K SUV a Rolls Royce Cullinan staging etc. His fiance, if they are still together, her sister, is married to Victor Mete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad