Alcohol, etc

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So kinda ironic that I'm creating this AFTER Isles hockey has ended, but so be it.

Curious as to what HF Isles folks enjoy.

Note: Not looking for your beer swillers to debate between different IPAs or how bad Coors is -- weve already done this. Don't care

Just some thoughts on different beverages and which is your preference. Since you insist, I'll go first.

Wine: Red only -- Cab, Merlot, Pinot all fine.. as long as its not sweet. Dont drink white.
Beer: Nope

Love Tequila straight -- Neat, Double, 1800 Anejo, Don Julio is preferred. (You should never ingest Jose Cuervo, ever). Tried Mezcal, didnt like it at all.

Vodka - Titos, Grey Goose, Ketel.. but not having much vodka these days

Have been enjoying Whisky/Bourbon recently, Latest purchase is Johnny Walker Black -- LOVE the Smokey flavor. Just sip on it waiting for the edible to arrive. LOL

Ive found that have a sip of some liquor while awaiting edible is better for my wallet, mood, attitude and certainly the next day.

Will not do: RUM (I had a bad experience) and Ouzo. NASTY.

Post dinner: Double Espresso, Double Sambuca

Anyone else care to share?

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
My go to is Crown Royal Apple and sprite, Macallan 12 neat. On the golf course I like a good transfusion or high noons (Should I not have shared the last one...:)).

For bourbon I'll go with Blantons.

Last edited:

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon is my current favorite. Not many places carry it, but you can get a bottle at Total Wine for I think $35-40. They limit your purchase to one per customer I believe too. Very smooth, semi-sweet flavor

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I like beer but mostly drink wine. Must be my Italian blood. I prefer red - dry, not sweet - but white is fine as appropriate. Italian and French reds are great, but I probably do mostly Spanish, Portugese and S American because they're better values. I don't drink in quantity, but it's a rare day where I don't have something.

I don't drink much liquor. No bourbon/whisky/etc.. at all. Really just the occasional mixed drink, usually involving vodka, gin and/or vermouth. If someone said I could never have a drink except for a Negroni or Americano, I'd be fine with that. Apertifs basically. Must be the Italian thing again.

LOL at "bad experience" with rum. Me too. On a boat. Ugh. I start feeling queasy if I see rum. Although not as bad as that one Grappa/Lemoncello night....

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Mostly beer: peroni, stella, most lagers, amber ale, not into IPA's.

for cocktails like a good manhattan, old fashioned, anything mixed with tequila like margaritas or ginger tequila. If i feel like getting saucy a dirty martini. post-dinner love a good espresso martini. when im feeling trashy jack N coke. I do like Rum, usually in fruity carribean drinks when on vacation.

these days i partake in more cannabus than alcohol. i'm mid 30's with young kids and prefer to sleep well vs. not

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I'm a Brewer, so I make all Kinds of Beers.
Munich Lager is my Fav.
I do enjoy Fullers ESB From London as an example of Ale...
I am very fond of this Japanese "Scotch".

Attachments

• Screenshot_676.jpg
    Screenshot_676.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I enjoy a beer if I'm not planning on drinking a lot. Nothing beats a cold one on a hot day. Definitely can't drink more than two or three, or else my stomach closes up. Probably Michelob's, Narragansett, Kona's.

For wine, I'm simple. Sauvignot or Moscato as a white. Merlot or Cabernet in red.

Love me some Captain and Ginger Ale. Literally tastes like cream soda.

Starting to become a whiskey drinker. Starting off with Old Fashion's. That shit's elite. I like it with Bulleit or Buffalo Trace.

Had a very bad experience with tequila. Haven't had it since lol.

Reactions: NYI365

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't drink alcohol anymore . . .

So, for me, it's

V8 - funny how all the plant food enthusiasts forget there was one all along
Arizona Ice Tea - Green Tea with Honey
Tropicana OJ - No Pulp
Fat-free Milk
Red Apple - all apples, no other ingredients

When I did drink

Boddington's Ale
Wine was basically whatever I was in the mood for
Whiskey Sour - kind of a family remembrance. When my Dad was taking me on the Bar Mitzvah circuit, he would allow me to have one if I drank it in the corner and didn't talk about it

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I've really shifted away from alcohol to some of the very good near beers., I'm not a prude, though - they're even better with some bud.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon is my current favorite. Not many places carry it, but you can get a bottle at Total Wine for I think $35-40. They limit your purchase to one per customer I believe too. Very smooth, semi-sweet flavor
I like that as well. I usually drink Four Roses, neat.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think the only liquor/spirits that I've ever had that I truly dislike are any flavored vodka, limoncello (sp?) and campari. god do I hate campari. That is just poison as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have an original green death flavor nyquil shot then campari. ugh.

I pretty much enjoy everything else... that I've tried at least.

But at your standard bar, I'd most likely order a Makers Mark on the rocks and a beer. Old standard favorites of mine also include Gin & Tonic, vodka martini, gimlets, old fashioneds, manhattans, VO & 7-up.

I also enjoy wine, but I don't know anything about it, other than I prefer red.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
So kinda ironic that I'm creating this AFTER Isles hockey has ended, but so be it.

Curious as to what HF Isles folks enjoy.

Note: Not looking for your beer swillers to debate between different IPAs or how bad Coors is -- weve already done this. Don't care

Just some thoughts on different beverages and which is your preference. Since you insist, I'll go first.

Wine: Red only -- Cab, Merlot, Pinot all fine.. as long as its not sweet. Dont drink white.
Beer: Nope

Love Tequila straight -- Neat, Double, 1800 Anejo, Don Julio is preferred. (You should never ingest Jose Cuervo, ever). Tried Mezcal, didnt like it at all.

Vodka - Titos, Grey Goose, Ketel.. but not having much vodka these days

Have been enjoying Whisky/Bourbon recently, Latest purchase is Johnny Walker Black -- LOVE the Smokey flavor. Just sip on it waiting for the edible to arrive. LOL

Ive found that have a sip of some liquor while awaiting edible is better for my wallet, mood, attitude and certainly the next day.

Will not do: RUM (I had a bad experience) and Ouzo. NASTY.

Post dinner: Double Espresso, Double Sambuca

Anyone else care to share?
I don’t drink anymore but whenever I watched Josh Bailey play hockey boy was it tempting to down a six pack of beer

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
god do I hate campari. That is just poison as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have an original green death flavor nyquil shot then campari. ugh.
I like Campari (not straight, of course). I also like bitter beers, sour beers, lemons, etc.. I did one of those genetic ancestry test things recently and apparently like/dislike of sour/bitter tastes is in someone's genes because that came up as one of the things they showed results for. So we can blame our ancestors.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT

You just need a good mezcal. Mezcal highball with a dash of agave nectar and a lime. Perfect.

Beer when I need to quench my thirst. None of that IPA overhopped bullshit.

Fine wine on the weekends, average for the weeknights. Too many good bottles to list. (Though Bogle essential red $10 is great for the price)

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Beer only. Love British traditional ales and bitters, with malty and caramel tastes.
Can enjoy the odd wine, but never drink liqors, except for a traditional Norwegian aquavit on Christmas.

Reactions: doublechili

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I like Campari (not straight, of course). I also like bitter beers, sour beers, lemons, etc.. I did one of those genetic ancestry test things recently and apparently like/dislike of sour/bitter tastes is in someone's genes because that came up as one of the things they showed results for. So we can blame our ancestors.

I was only able to handle sours/wheats when I could drink beer, especially wheat beers that were more hefs. I've had celiac for awhile now and gave them up entirely because GF beers are brutal. Technically I think ales are considered low bitterness but I did not like them. I have always had a major bitter sensitivity though, I cannot really handle coffee and things like grapefruit/brussel sprouts its like I am eating poison or cyanide.

Reactions: doublechili

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I'm a Brewer, so I make all Kinds of Beers.
Munich Lager is my Fav.
I do enjoy Fullers ESB From London as an example of Ale...
I am very fond of this Japanese "Scotch".
I think you mean Japanese Whisky .

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I'm a casual drinker , I enjoy a good glass of Guinness, wines Red only but only with food as wines true value is brought out by food. Spirits when the urge is for a more leisurely pace Scotch The Glenlivet 12 year SM & Bourbon Basil Hayden KSBW.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Beer only. Love British traditional ales and bitters, with malty and caramel tastes.
Can enjoy the odd wine, but never drink liqors, except for a traditional Norwegian aquavit on Christmas.
Skol!!

We have Danish friends who sometimes have a group of us over for a smorg and aquavit. Great stuff!

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I don’t drink enough to give an informed expert opinion but just like I do on hockey matters, I’m happy to weigh in.

Beer: I favor a wheat beer on a summer day, maybe an Allagash White. Stout or porter in the evening.

Harder stuff: Single malt Speyside neat like Macallan, Glenfiddich, Balvenie.
Johnny Walker Black is a nice smoky blend at a good price.

Wine: Not my thing but on a rare occasion I’ll have a nice Chianti with some fava beans.

Reactions: Bones45

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes